1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the heck happened to this defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Oct 8, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good read.

Got Ed Reed'd again with Wilfork. Thanks Bill.

Linebackers can't cover. Linebackers are slow. Old Brian Cushing isn't coming back. All should probably stop hoping & wishing. I no longer want to hear "If Cushing can return to form...!"

Coverage stinks. 8-10 yard(!) cushions. Kareem Jackson has regressed.

Everyone outside of Watt (and maybe Clowney) is worthless and can't do anything worth a damn.

And they may be screwed.

... ... ... ...

Of course half of these guys were just signed or just got paid. And 7 of their last 9 [first round] draft picks were on defense.

<strike>DT Amobi Okoye</strike>, <strike>CB Fred Bennett</strike>, <strike>S Brandon Harrison</strike>, <strike>LB Zach Diles</strike>, <strike>CB Antwaun Molden</strike>, <strike>Xavier Adibi</strike>, <strike>DT Frank Okam</strike>, <strike>S Dom Barber</strike>, LB Brian Cushing, <strike>LB/DE Connor Barwin</strike>, <strike>S Glover Quin</strike>, <strike>CB Brice McCain</strike>, <strike>S Troy Nolan</strike>, CB Kareem Jackson, <strike>DT Earl Mitchell</strike>, <strike>LB Darryl Sharpton</strike>, <strike>CB Sherrick McManis</strike>, DE J.J. Watt, <strike>LB Brooks Reed</strike>, <strike>CB Brandon Harris</strike>, <strike>CB Roc Carmichael</strike>, <strike>S Shiloh Keo</strike>, <strike>DE/LB Cheta Ozougwu</strike>, LB Whitney Mercilus, DE Jared Crick, <strike>S D.J. Swearinger</strike>, <strike>DE/LB Sam Montgomery</strike>, <strike>LB Trevardo Williams</strike>, <strike>DT Chris Jones</strike>, LB/DE Jadeveon Clowney, <strike>DT Louis Nix</strike>, DE Jeoffrey Pagan, S Andre Hal, S Lonnie Ballentine, CB Kevin Johnson, LB Bernardrick McKinney, <strike>LB Reshard Cliett</strike>, DT Christian Covington

CB Johnathan Joseph - 3 year extension
    CB Kareem Jackson - 4 year deal
    DT Vince Wilfork - 2 year deal
    S Rahim Moore - 3 year deal
    LB Brian Cushing - (2013) 6 year deal
    LB Whitney Mercilus - 4 year deal

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you read the article posted above? It actually does a really good job of demonstrating how Vince is really NOT doing his job.

I remember when we signed him there were a few places that were using some kind of advanced metrics to indicate Wilfork had really started a serious decline last season for the Patriots. I think there is a lot of truth to that.

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I knew Wilfork was declining but he was way better than and is currently younger than Pickett was last year and he was a huge improvement for the defence. Just amazing how Wilfork has been worse.

I like using Kareem as a nickel LB. Well, "like" isn't the word, but prefer to what they have been doing.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wilfork joins the Ed Reed...over the hill old man signing. Just with a much better attitude.

As for Clowney...out again Sunday? SMH....

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

The problem is not the players. The problem is the scheme and not using the players' strengths. If you're counting on Cushing covering, then you're wasting his talent. Unfortunately McKinney sucks in coverage too. I already mentioned playing zone coverage. Either they got the wrong players for what the coaches want or the coaches don't know how to put players in the best place for them to succeed. Wade was very good at this.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

until he was not.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

But when he was good at it, he was very good at it.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bill O'Brien said Jadeveon Clowney did practice and looks good for Sunday</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/657249964829990912">October 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

What's Berman doing in Dallas?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Slumming it?

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Saw that come up on my phone, glad he was able to practice and should be ready for Sunday.

Still waiting on the Watt and Clowney havoc.... I want to see QB's getting sandwiched....

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Vrabel for D coordinator

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Because he's getting so much out of the LBs :rolleyes:

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Clowney is much better in run defense

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

let's break down what he has to work with. And I just think the guy has D coordinator written all over him. But let's see what he has to work with.

Clowney - Showing flashes he can be a force
    Whitney - First round pick with inconsistent play
    Cushing - Broke down already
    McKinney - Rookie learning curve
    Dent - Trash
    Tuggle - Trash
    Simon - practice squad player

Anybody else I forgot? Now back to Vrabel. They players love him nothing but rave reviews about his football IQ. Can really teach and communicate with players. This guy is a D coordinator in the making. I really feel like if/when he takes over the defense he will be a good D coordinator.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

So, because the players like him and rave about his football IQ, that's good enough even though he hasn't been able to produce? No sir. Coaching is much more than what you know. I used to think like you do now but if he was so good, he would be getting much more out of those players. Every team has LBs like the Texans do and no excuses are made for them.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

So I'm guessing you feel the same way about all the other defensive position coaches like the d-line and DBs coaches?

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Horrific personnel decisions

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Absolutely. Bill Kollar might be an exception but this has been a down year for his crew too.