1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WHAT the H*LL?!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohen, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Get this, bin laden's in a video which cements his guilt, and a professor from Egypt states:

'Gehad Auda, a professor of political science at Cairo's Helwan University, said broadcast of the tape would create a ``propaganda splash'' but would ``not cause any turnover in public opinion.''

``It won't make a difference to those who are hostile to America whether the tape is made public or not,'' he said. ``This is a matter of belief, not a matter of clarifying information.'' '

Some one please explain this 'logic' to me.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011209/ts/afghan_bin_laden_tape_11.html

#1 Cohen, Dec 9, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2001
  2. treeman

treeman Member

He's probably right. Some imaginative Arab conspiracy theorist will come up with the idea that the tape was a digitally modified fake created by the Mossad, and everyone in that part of the world will just keep on believing that their hero Osama is innocent... Or something like that. Or they just flat support what he did.

They don't like us, and reality is far less important than perception concerning that regard. Little things like "proof" and "confessions" aren't going to change that perception. It will change when Israel is gone, the US has lost its superpower status, and Islamic parties dominate global politics. None of which will ever happen, of course...

Never underestimate the power self-delusion, even in masses.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I didnt realize you were Miss Cleo ;)

4. treeman

treeman Member

Crap, my cover is blown...:D

I always forget to put that "I feel" or "I believe" or "I think" in there...

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The professor, it must be noted ,is not necessarily a supporter of Bin Laden or the 911 attack, just an expert giving his opinion as to the effect of the video on those who do support Bin Laden or disbelieve his role in the 911 attack.

The "logic" is similar to that of no matter how many videotapes of Palestinian kids killed for throwing rocks or of innocent Palestinian civilians killed by missiles are viewed, few Israelis change their views. No matter what proof of war crimes committed by Sharon, some Israeli's continue to support him.

Similarly, no matter how many videos of the victims of suicide bombers few Palestinians change their opinions with regard to the bombers.

In the above exampes "clarifying facts" don't change the opinions very easily of Jews or Palestinians. Is it so surprising that the professor would predict a similar outcome with regard to the tape?

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Originally posted by glynch
    The professor, it must be noted ,is not necessarily a supporter of Bin Laden or the 911 attack, just an expert giving his opinion as to the effect of the video on those who do support Bin Laden or disbelieve his role in the 911 attack.

I understand that part.

The "logic" is similar to that of no matter how many videotapes of Palestinian kids killed for throwing rocks or of innocent Palestinian civilians killed by missiles are viewed, few Israelis change their views. No matter what proof of war crimes committed by Sharon, some Israeli's continue to support him.

Similarly, no matter how many videos of the victims of suicide bombers few Palestinians change their opinions with regard to the bombers.

In the above exampes "clarifying facts" don't change the opinions very easily of Jews or Palestinians. Is it so surprising that the professor would predict a similar outcome with regard to the tape?

I don't see the similarity at all to the professor's statements. The professor apparently believes that many will simply ignore the facts about the video.

Many Israelis and Palestinians may abhor the images you mentioned. They may believ that these are horrible things, yet also that they are in a mortal battle and are justified. Where's the correlation?

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Cohen , there is not a strict correlation when viewed strictly as " did Bin Laden do it". I was thinking more in line with does the video change Arab attitudes towards the 911 incident or whether they support Bin Laden's goals in general.

On another level I guess it just shows the level of distrust towards the United States. Just like many in the US imagine AlQaeda to be fiendishly supervillain smart, I'm sure many of the Arabs view the US in that light. There have certainly been many examples of false propaganda created by all sides that would tend to make some distrustful.

Some have drawn a comparison with the difference in attitude of White and Black Americans toward the OJ trial. After years of being lied to and victimized by the police such an attitude of distrust had been created that it was easy for Black Americans to discredit what seem like hard facts to other Aemricans.

On a personal level there are a few acquaintances who I categorize as a liar and who I only believe fully if their statements are corroborated by another trustworthy source. An outsider not knowing why might view this as completley irrational.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You can spin that around to glynch, no matter how manny Israelis are killed for just going to the mall or on the streets by suicide bombers people will try to make it seem like they "deserve" it. And people will support the suicide bombers saying "they are doing what they have to do". It goes both ways.

9. haven

haven Member

And no matter how many Palestinians face lifelong discrimination and poverty, Rocksmillenium will always support Israel.

I haven't heard anyone say that Israel "deserves" terrorism since q8 rocket left.

10. treeman

treeman Member

Yes, and we thank you for bringing such false propaganda into our lives, glynch.

I have a really hard time taking anyone seriously on this issue when they will not admit that the Palestinians are at least half at fault for this. There is simply no denying that with the exception of the settlements (which everyone agrees should go) virtually every aggressive Israeli move over the past decade has been in response to terrorist attacks. The Israelis have been under attack for over 50 years; is it any wonder they're so distrustful of the Arabs? Now, it's all fine and dandy to discuss root causes and such, but to do so honestly one cannot simply ignore Israeli security concerns - that is engaging in false propaganda.

The main thing I have a problem with is when some people here just brush off Israeli demands that the Palestinians reign in their terrorists. Some of you seem to be under the mistaken impression that the Israelis are just going to put aside their security concerns and give in to every Palestinian demand. That is either monumentally unrealistic, or a dishonest attempt at propagandizing.

And I have to question the motives of anyone who consistently sides with the US's enemies in "War on Terror" issues. I'm looking at you, glynch...