1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What stuff do you want to know about the Astros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Cat, Apr 20, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Breaking up is hard to do. The Astros will hold on as long as they can, then break his heart and dump him.

2. Buck Turgidson

They will not tell you, but...

All teams use statistical analysis to assist in player evaluation and evaluating players for trades and free agent acquisitions. We also use our own internally developed metrics to assist our pitchers in our development system as well as our hitters in the system. We use these as teaching tools to emphasize, for example, the importance of a pitcher to get ahead in the count and stay ahead in the count. -- Purp

On the scouting question, there's literally ;) a gajillion little things: everything from hand position before & during his swing, to his feet placement on his throws, to reaction time on a batted ball, to speed going 1st to 3rd, to what kind of turn he takes & where does he hit the bag when he rounds 2nd, and that's not even getting into pitching, which is a whole 'nuther gajillion things. And a lot of what they look for is "projectability": does this player have the tools to succeed as the talent & skill level increases. A lot of that deals with physical tools: size, build, etc. That has more to do with evaluating HS/college players, though.

Sounds like you could have a very interesting gig, Cat, congrats.

3. Buck Turgidson

Because he doesn't deserve it.

The Stros are possibly the most liberal team with retiring jerseys. If it were up to me:

Ryan (as much for his iconic status as his career in Houston)
    Cruz (ditto)
    Biggio
    Bagwell
    Robinson
    Dierker, I guess

4. Buck Turgidson

Look at him.

He's big, he's latin, he's a rancher, he likes horses, seems like a natural fit to me.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

We could have called him El Vaco

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Why can't we get Orbit back? Junction Jack can stay if he wants, but Orbit was much better.

7. msn

msn Member

Or El Vaquero.

8. msn

msn Member

I agree that the Astros are too liberal with it. I'd pull some of those jerseys down, but I'd add Richard's. If that career doesn't end in a stroke, and if he doesn't get wilder with age, he's a borderline hall-of-fame candidate.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Why is it so hard to find a catcher to replace or back up Brad Ausmus?

And is a team any more or less succesful with a good hitting catcher with lesser defensive skills than a good defensive catcher who calls a good game but is a light hitter?

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We had another catcher in spring training, I forgot his name. He got hurt. But we need to keep Ausmus because he handles pitchers very well and Clemens loves him.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Hector Gimenez, switch-hitter. I think Quintero still makes the team even if Gimenez stayed healthy, though, based on Q's incredible arm. He does need to pick it up at the plate, though, or Munson may get another look sometime this summer.

And thanks for the suggestions, guys... keep 'em up if you have more. Quite a few of these are intriguing.

12. msn

msn Member

How is he at receiving the ball? Does he make a lot of "noise" behind the plate? Does he use his body properly for balls in the dirt or does he "stab" at them with the mitt?

Last night's circus play aside, Ausmus puts on a defensive clinic everytime he gets behind the plate.

13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Are you serious? No doubt he deserves it, he's arguably the greatest pitcher in Astros history. Who knows how much damage he would of caused in the NL if it wasn't for a stroke. Look at his stats for ten years:

107-71 (.601 Win %), 3.15 ERA, 76 COMPLETE GAMES, 19 Shutouts, 1,493 K's. He was the first ever RHP to strike out 300+ in the NL.

Best Season, 1979
    Richard led the National League with a 2.71 ERA, and held batters to a league-low 6.77 hits per nine innings, as he went 18-13. He broke his own NL record for most strikeouts in a season by a right-hander, with 313. In August and September, Richard went 9-2 with a 0.96 ERA and 131 K's in 112 innings. Among his victories were a two-hitter and a pair of three-hitters.

Fewest Hits Per Nine Innings, All-TimeNolan Ryan... 6.56
    Pedro Martinez... 6.73
    Sandy Koufax... 6.79
    Sid Fernandez... 6.85
    J.R. Richard... 6.88

(min. 1,500 IP)

Here's one last look at the top Astros pitchers and what they did. 3 of 5 have retired jerseys and one is still active, Oswalt:

Pitcher W-L ERA GS
    Roy Oswalt 101-47 3.05 181
    Don Wilson 104-92 3.15 245
    Mike Scott 110-81 3.31 259
    Nolan Ryan 106-94 3.13 282
    JR Richard 107-71 3.16 221

14. Buck Turgidson

Quite. He was very, very mediocre for 5 years, and very, very good to great for 4+. You don't have to quote me his stats.

Number retirement is for franchise icons & borderline or better Hall of Famers. Richard was neither. The stroke shouldn't play into it, just like Wilson's or Umbright's troubles shouldn't have (but did). Hell, if tragedy gets you bonus consideration, you can make a good case for Cammy and DK too.

And I'm not disparaging JR in any way.

15. msn

msn Member

But the Astros are a young franchise. They shouldn't have retired some of the uniforms they retired, but they did. And leaving out #50 in light of the accomplishments of those others is quite disingenuous. Nothing about Richard's career is iconic in light of MLB history--but it *is* in light of Astros history:
    --2nd in Astros history in wins (soon to be eclipsed by RoyO)
    --First Astro (first ML pitcher) ever with 300 K's--then did it again the next year
    --Fifth all-time in hits per nine innings (with his control, I'm sure he ain't up there in WHIP)
    --The whole Dodger-domination thing

The Astros's hanging jerseys look silly next to what's hanging at Yankee stadium or over in St. Louis or Boston, that's for sure. But Richard is more deserving than Wilson or Umbright.

Agreed.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

NL; ryan did it years earlier with the angels. but yeah, in context of "astros," i can't fathom why j.r. isn't up there.

the retired numbers should be:
    (i'd be ok with 40... maybe; i'm not sick that 33 is included)

and then, of course, i'd already have banners made and ready for 5, 7, 17 and 44.

17. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

your right about those last 4

In 10 years those numbers will be up

18. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Cat - dont take offense to this but...im a prety avid reader of sports info and none of what you listed would interest me too much.

Id rather read about some inside scoop that I cant get anywhere else. For instance ... stuff like what the guys are texting to Roger about coming back and what is he saying back (even if the player has to remain anonymous)....what do the players think is needed to get them over the hump...is it another starter? another bat? stuff like that

i know a lot of insider info is just that...insider...but if u came up with a few "scoops" and hit the nail on the head a couple times, id read and put a lot of credence into everything u wrote.

hope that helps...and again, wasnt trying to discredit the ideas u mentioned writing about...just giving u my opinion

19. msn

msn Member

Thanks! I'd love to say it was a typo, 'M' being right next to 'N' and all, but it wasn't. And, I should have remembered that about Ryan.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And to be completely accurate, Richard was the first National league right hander to get 300 Ks in one season....