1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What should we do with the SF position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dennis2112, Dec 8, 1999.

Tags:
  1. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I do not like the way the Wizard has played up to this point. I do not think we should trade now since we have chemistry.

What does you folks think??

------------------

2. BryceDrewFan

BryceDrewFan Member

I say you put Shandon Anderson at SF keep CATO at C and Barkley at PF. Put Bryce Drew at SG (he played SG in college) and Steve Francis at PG.

3. Hydra

Hydra Member

Play Rogers at small forward and Anderson at shooting guard. Rogers is leading the team in FG%.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I say we play Williams at SF. I like the way Rudy deals with the Wizard. He starts and if his shooting isn't on, he'll play no more than 20 minutes. If his shooting is on, he'll play 35. As Rudy himself has been known to say, it's not who starts but who finishes.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Juan/Traj,
    I could almost go for that but I preferred Great Starts. Why play from behind if you don't have too. Think about it. You quick Fouls [because of weak defense] and the complextion of the game changes. [ESP IF IT'S ON CATO OR DREAM COVERING FOR WILLIAMS CAUSE SOME ONE BLEW BY HIM]
    It's about about William's Production [or lack there of] but rather how his lack of production matched with his lack of CUTTING DOWN THE OPPOSING SF's production.
    I don't think he cutting it on either end. 4 on 5 from the start is not good. Could lead to putting the team in a whole that the bench can't help with.

I could use a few BLOW outs. . my poor ole heart would like a rest.

Rocket River

6. wizard

wizard Member

Valdez has some great points...Start walt and if hes knocking his shots down keep him in the game. Even finish the game up with his trademark threes.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

One more thing: the Rockets are probably better playing from behind. Fourth quarter collapses have been their trademark for years.

8. alaskansnowman

I think that the wizard is out of his slump. He played fairly well in the last game and hit a key 3-pointer. Even though he had that stupid 5 second violation called on him... Let's just see how he plays for a few more games. I think we should stick with wizard for a little longer. But it doesn't really matter. If wizard is missing, Rudy takes him out... good coaching

9. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

As long as you don't let Walt inbound the ball late in the game your fine.

------------------
    Stevie Wonder says "they call him FRANCHISE because his dunks are for sale at an arena near you."

10. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

We need to play Rogers at the 3 more than Williams, I begin to doubt that Walt is not in a shooting slump but he just sucks, I have never seen a 18 game shooting slump like Walt's, we better merely play him against the weak teams, run loads of plays for him if we are leading by 15 points, to raise his trade value before it's too late.

Anyway, 18 game shooting slump is just too long, what if he gets into another 10 game slump in the playoffs? Now I am holding my breath seeing Walt making a wide open lay up.

[This message has been edited by Finalfantasy (edited December 08, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Finalfantasy (edited December 08, 1999).]

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think the rocks should trade for a better SF than Walt.

The rockets have Cato, Drew, Francis, Thomas locked up for atleast three more years. Anderson is likely to resign with a huge Bird. Mobley, birdable. I think these are the players that are definite parts of future plans. That's six players that aren't tradeable for equal value.

The rockets will probably have 3 draft picks in the next two years. That equals nine players. I think we can spare one of these picks.

Walt Williams+Mack+draft pick=SF better than Walt. I don't like Walt's play at all.

12. who?

who? Member

Personally I say we trade Williams and Mack and some form of draft pick for RIDER from Atlanta.

That way we can start rogers at the small f, and rider at the 2 guard slot. Francis at the point. Then we can bring Anderson off the bench as sixth man (where I feel his game would be more suited.)

13. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Draft Pete Mickeal...simply put.

14. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Who?, What? Rider, No thanks.

15. TraJ

TraJ Member

Good point Mr. Coffee. It really doesn't matter who is in the game during the opening tip off. You're tied with 48 minutes to go. What matters is who is in there during the critical points of the game. I don't mind Walt starting for the reasons you point out. If he's hot, Rudy will keep him in. But if he's not, then he's only going to see about 20 minutes that game.