1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What should we do with Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cangrejero51, Apr 25, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Should NOT be pitching in the 8th/9th or when the game is close.

2. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Trade him for a bag of peanuts

3. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Make him a middle piece in a human centipede.

4. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Optioned to AAA. Shouldn't be in the big leagues right now.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He either needs to pitch when we have a 5+ run lead or were losing by 5+ runs.

6. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Send him to AAA. Dude has some wicked stuff, but his confidence is shot. Needs to regain it and prove to himself he can make it in this league on a team that is supposed to be a contender.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You can't have Giles blowing up games repeatedly. It's time to send him down and see if he can get it together without hurting the team.

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I disagree, we have Hoyt in the minors, and Feliz has the stuff, but we need to develop him as Toronto did with Osuna. Last year we should had done it, we did not. Why don't we try now??? We are worse team in AL, what do we have to lose? Send Giles to Triple A, and bring Hoyt to the majors. Develop Feliz to be an 8th or 9th inning guy and see what Hoyt can do at the end of games. With Harris, Sipp and Gregerson it could work.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not an easy situation but I would probably demote him to AAA

If the problem is confidence, going and dominating minor league guys likely won't help give him confidence in big MLB situations

Demoting him to "wash up" situations isn't good cause it wouldn't give him regular work, and again doesn't help his confidence

BUT he can't keep costing us MLB games

10. Nook

Nook Member

No he shouldn't....

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This. So tired of it. Send him down. Send him to Siberia. Either way, until he's someone he isn't right now, I don't wanna see him pitching for the Houston Astros.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Perhaps get the Phillies to vastly over pay for him in trade?

In all seriousness, I suggest a proper Viking funeral at sea? Maybe wait until we visit San Francisco and cast him off to sea in a flaming ship during warm ups?

13. Buck Turgidson

You pretty much have to at this point. His arm is way too good and his track record good enough and they gave up enough talent for him that it's silly to say "give up on him" (but that's to be expected here).

Something's not right with him, this is not the same guy they traded for.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When was the last time he actually threw a AAA pitch? 2013?

The key is to try and decipher where this all stemmed from.... was it not being named closer, when he presumed the job was his to lose? Perhaps. Is it really the "pressure" of pitching for a contender... maybe, but that also doesn't really fit when he's showing signs of getting worse when the team is 6-15, and Houston is anything but a high pressure market/situation.

Stuff has actually been much worse the last two games (one of them he remarkably doesn't allow any runs in). Fastball topping out at 95. Slider going between being hung and being a wild pitch.

You don't want to root for an injury... but it would make sense (and may even be more fixable).

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think it's time to send him down.

16. MadMax

Agreed. I don't want the Astros to give up on him; and I know they won't. But I don't want him figuring this out using Astros' innings anymore. If there's any hope of salvaging this season at this point, I don't want this guy figuring out why he can't stop giving up runs while it impacts the big club.

Or maybe we're at a time where eff it...who cares if we lose? Another rebuilding year in a sense? I mean, this club would have to play out of its mind just to get back to where it was last season. Honestly, I just don't want to watch that, though, if that's the case. Not interested in paying to watch that anymore.

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Too early to give up on the season, but we can't let him keep costing us games. Luhnow needs to swallow his pride and send him down

18. Major

Major Member

Wasn't he sucking in spring training already, which was the reason he wasn't named closer?

I suspect something slightly off mechanically or, as you said, some kind of injury he's not admitting to. Reminds of Billy Wagner in 2000 (?) when he cost us a whole bunch of games because he wouldn't admit he was injured. I don't know why players insist on doing that.

19. MadMax

Yeah, I'm certainly not suggesting the team should give up on the season. I don't hold out a lot of hope for them at this point, regardless.

Agree with you entirely...what we're doing with him isn't working, and the cost to the rest of the team is too great. There are other guys you can pitch in that spot without making a drastic move.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

i was okay with the giles trade at the time, but this is why i wanted to trade for chapman.