1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What should the Houston Rockets do this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Nov 28, 2011.

?

What should the Rockets do?

1. Stay the course - In Morey We Trust

50 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. Tank - Rebuild sooner, rather than later

49 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. Sign T-mac and Yao Ming

13 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Should they try their hardest to obtain one or more of the many FAs that will be available come Dec. 9 and try to improve from their current position?

Should they trade all their assets for high draft picks and expirings, play their younger players more, basically blow up the team, rebuild, and try to draft the next Rose or Durant?

Personally, I think Morey should blow up the team and tank.. unless there's a chance we could somehow land the big 2012 FAs (Howard, Williams) via trading, I don't see how the Rockets are gonna improve into contenders.

What we're doing now is prolonging the inevitable - becoming a bad team. What happens when Scola, Martin, or Lowry is gone, and all we have are players drafted by the 14th pick and role players? Why not become a bad team now and start the rebuilding process early, rather than late.

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I wish it were so simple. Everyone acts like tanking is some magical cure-all. Fact is, it regularly takes a few years of bad basketball to get a top 3 pick, it's hit and miss when you get there, and even if you hit, it takes years of adding good pieces before you're even a marginal contender, and then if you're not New York, LA, or Miami your guy leaves for New York, LA, or Miami right before you have a serious title shot.

If we got a good pick I would hold my nose and bear losing for a year or two, I imagine, but I watch the Rockets to see a team trying to win, not trying to lose as much as possible for the sake of winning a decade from now IF our franchise guy decides to humor us with his continued presence.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Continue to improve.

It wasn't long ago we turned Carl Landry into Kevin Martin.

Still have so many young guys who we need to see, but unlike some of you who are for just giving people minutes, I want them to continue to earn it behind proven vets.

I will never understand the people who want to just give minutes to these young guys. That mind set is what gets you guys like TWill. Big headed ***holes who think they don't have to earn there way on to the court and should just be given it.

Honestly my dream scenario remains that we go after a guy like Nene this year, steadily improve over the season and add the playoff experience no matter how short it may be and look to be a player for one of the elite guys on the market next season.

Adding another great piece like Nene can only help us in future trades, allowing us to give up more in a deal for a superstar while still leaving a quality team intact post trade.

If everything fails and you aren't able to swing a deal for one of the elite guys then at the very least you still aren't minnesotta and still have tons of quality pieces that can be used to "rebuild" in a way that some of you are hoping for.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Trade veteran players for high ceiling players.

Develop fringe starters and trade those for draft picks

Develop and play rookies to instill confidence for the upcoming year

In other words....Tank. (I'm a season ticket holder BTW)

5. cod

cod Member

Those vets would have to include Lowry. I don't see the Rockets losing enough if he's still on board. Even then they'd be left with a PG who put a triple double at the end of last season along with two near triple double games.

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Tank... Season's shorter meaning less mental anguish for fans

7. Prince

Prince Member

win games.

8. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Win and make the playoffs. Trade for upgrades, not picks.

Finally the Texans and Rockets will make the playoffs in the same year!

9. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Win and make the playoffs. Trade for upgrades, not picks.

Finally the Texans and Rockets will make the playoffs in the same year!

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Should we advocate tanking before we know the status of the one-and-done rule?

11. VBG

VBG Member

I'll be honest. I'm one of the most anti-tanking people there is.

But I've gone through most of the data. As much as I hate to say it, if you want to win a championship, tanking is the way to go. Percentage wise, you're much more likely to win the championship if you tank.

However, I hate tanking so stay the course is my irrational fan vote. I wanna be able to cheer for a winning team. Im just philosophically opposed to a team culture that doesn't mind losing.

The only way I would change my mind is if Kevin Martin/Scola/Lowry is out for the season. Then we can tank.

12. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

This would be the best season to tank to acquire a high draft pick...with that we could either use it in this upcoming loaded draft or package it with one of our players for a star player in return.... I would really like for us to draft a center this year we need to stack up on them big's for us to have a fighting chance in wining a championship...I wouldn't mind Harrison Barnes though, we desperately need a franchise player how ever we can get one. Imagine how much easier it would be for Morey to sign quality free agents with a star player in the team.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Swallow your pride. Would you rather have mediocre or crap teams for years and years on end? Every year having to say "well, at least we tried" or... "MAYBE NEXT YEAR". (Yeah, every single year people do this.)

Or would you rather tank and become (with a good GM and disciplined team) a title contender?

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

That's NOT the choice. You're correct if you mean "Or would you rather tank for a top-five pick that could take years to develop, might end up being Dwight Howard or might be Stromile Swift or anywhere in between, and will probably head to a bigger market if he DOES turn out to be great, and only if ALL those things go your way AND you successfully build a good supporting cast around him out of the NOTHING that allowed you to be so bad, then you will be a title contender."

I think that rephrasing changes the answer, though.

15. danoman

Its been 10 years since we got Yao and now he is gone...we tried to lure in all-stars with Ipads we tried the Rockets free agency caravan and that didn't work out.
    You know what would make me give up on basket ball? If the Spurs as old as they are decide blow it up, trade their valuable players for draft picks, tank one season and hit the jackpot again and become relevant for another 10 years. We need to try and tank at least this year in this loaded draft.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

We are in a unique situation. We could rebuild and that could end up being the right way. We could also stay the course and make some moves to gain some players and get better. Morey has built a team with a flexible future. For that I respect that direction he has taken. He can even trade players away for future picks and young players and rebuild that way. Rockets could also sign and trade players. There is no set course on this team. Its at a crossroads. They need to just recognize the best opportunity when it shows up and jump on it. Whichever way it takes us.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Anyone who looks at the roster and thinks tank, is not a true Rockets fan and should no longer post here. Tanking is the most idiotic thing you could do with a good roster like this one.

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I agree. Nothing on this roster screams Rockets need to rebuild. They can rebuild or stay the course. They dont really need to go either way though.

19. danoman

Dude are you serious? I look at the roster and say "NO ALLSTAR" name a team that has won a championship with out an all-star or previous all-star player?

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

WTF??!! No all-stars??!! You don't think Kyle Lowry is an all-star? Kevin Martin? Luis Scola? Are you serious??:confused: