1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Should Be The First Priorities Of An Obama Administration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Nov 7, 2008.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What do you think the priorities of an Obama administration should be? I pretty much agree with his stated priorities that I'll post below. In particular, I think an alternative energy initiative should be at the top of the list because it is important for long term economic/national security reasons and because it has the most potential for bipartisan support.

http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=11&year=2008&base_name=priorities_6

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Priority #1: The Economy, dammit!!

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It's the economy, stupid.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

#1 Get his own people in charge of the bailout, prevent the bankers from raping the process; charging fees for their own bailout and not lending the money they get from the government. The Bush homeboys have set this thing up to enrich their cronies as per usual and you can bet they will start showing up for work at the same institutions or their law firms by April.

(yes congress passed the bill, but it was openly broad and run by the bureaucrats appointed by the Executive branch)

#4 Dubious, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  5. langal

langal Contributing Member

College football playoff.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I don't like his plans (other than the tax cut), so here's what I think his priorities should be:

Cancel the rest of the bailout.

Take a hard-line against stimulus plans from borrowed money.

Refuse to sign budgets that don't significantly reduce the deficit.

Cut corporate income taxes to promote growth.

Bring home half of the troops overseas in countries other than Iraq or Afghanistan.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. And that's going to be a b**** to get a handle on.

8. deepblue

deepblue Member

The president elect is Obama in case you didn't know :)

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

really. what is wes thinking? ;) Does he think it's opposite day and really meant to say... Increase bailout package, increase corp tax, etc

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you mean the same thing bush did ;) :rolleyes:

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

In 2000, I was hoping that Bush kept his promises. That didn't work. So now I'm hoping Obama breaks all of his promises.

12. conquistador#11

Great minds think great things, and yesterday i read an article saying that Obama was tired of the BCS too. The first thing he should do is put in place a playoff system so every team has an equal opportunity. It's the correct thing to do.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't know how he can really save the economy other than let it run its course.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You can not stop a recession. But you can reduce the lenth and severity of it with the right economical polices.

15. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Kill 3 birds with one stone. Help the economy and create jobs by boosting the infant-industry of renewable energy and research which will get us off the addiction of foreign oil. Solar, wind, and nuclear energy (and electric/hybrid cars) while keeping domestic coal/oil production for exporting/war-time only. This way oil/coal jobs are not totally wiped out.

Also you could fix the GM's long-term problem of being an effective company by changing it's goals to becoming the first automobile company to go completely electric (see above).

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Thanks, I am actually going to look in to being a White House chaplain.
    I think it would be a new position.

Seriously, keep you posted.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

You forgot the libertarian themes of returning to the gold standard and removing any remaining regulation of the financial system. ;)

19. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I appreciate the concrete suggestions you make weslinder. Posts like this actually have substance to respond to.

The bailout definitely seems sketchy to me too.

But this is one of the best ways to both get needed work done cheaply and stimulate the economy, don't you think? Contractors are hungry now and looking for the work, so you'll get very competitive bids, and you'll stimulate the economy at the same time. Borrowing money for projects which need to be done anyway shouldn't be a cause for concern. The cost of borrowing should be more than offset by the savings from having them done in a more competitive market.

These two seem to be in conflict. How are you going to reduce deficit and cut taxes at the same time?

I would add to that getting completely out of Iraq within a couple of years. How much has that war cost the American taxpayer so far?

20. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

balance the budget

balance the budget

balance the budget

balance the budget

balance the budget

balance the budget

balance the budget

and

balance the budget