1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What return would you be satisfied with if the Rockets trade Wood?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James.B.H, Jan 1, 2022.

?

Satisfactory return for trading Wood

1. 1 First round pick (potentially late): done with Wood, can accept lower than expected return

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. 2 FRPs: that's the fair market value of C Wood

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. 2 FRP + Young player: C Wood can be an all star, no way trading him without great return

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Although some fans believe Wood is the future of the franchise and would like the organization to pay him big money, there is another possibility about the future of Wood with the Rockets, that is he gets traded. If Wood gets traded, what return would you be satisfied with?

Ramo$e likes this.
  2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Who said the 1st part of the first sentence?

3. mightybosstone

I think any NBA GM who offers up two firsts for Wood should be fired on the spot unless one or both are super late or heavily protected. If you can get a single first for him at the deadline and a competent young rotational player, you take it and are thankful you can get it.

jcmoon and aaquaa like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I wish we traded him last deadline or in the offseason

So many newbs whined "nooo he's our best player" and how we should build with him and what not, when he's 25, a fundamentally flawed player as a C who can't defend, and our team just started a rebuild with 19 year olds.

We could have gotten quite a bit before this year started, but he's been playing very mediocre, and now this, his value is probably a protected 1st now. Me and @larsv8 saw it coming clear as day since forever

5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

It's almost impossible to know what to expect in a trade because we don't know who we are getting back or sending out with Wood. It's more likely that Houston sends out more players than we take back, so who knows. The return could be very different for Tate and Wood, vs Gordon and Wood or Theis and Wood.

Deckard and raining threes like this.
  6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Put me in that group as well, I think I was the first person to create the hypothetical GS trades, which I was grilled for in late 2020. I'd love to pull up that thread today. Although, I'll admit, it wasn't Wood's flaws that narrated my thinking, it was our inability to compete during his team friendly contract.

aaquaa likes this.
  7. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

A late first and salary filler would be fine at this point. This dude is a legit locker room cancer and puts up the emptiest stats ever.

jcmoon, Ramo$e and kiwirocketsfan like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Too late.

Ramo$e, conquistador#11 and J.R. like this.
  9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Package him and Porter.

matchesmalone, Ramo$e and aaquaa like this.
  10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Stock is low, you wait much like the sixers are doing with Simmons.

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Quite a bit is debatable. Going into this season Wood was a career journeyman with a history of attitude problems. He had a good year last year but he also missed a good portion of the season with injuries and doesn't exactly have a frame that would convince many GMs that he could consistently stay on the court for a long season. I think tonight really hurt his stock but it also might not have been as high as some people think.

aaquaa likes this.
  12. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

Cwood is literally the definition of talk is cheap...that being said..i say wait till the deadline so that this story cools down, and try and get a first rounder and a young impact player and move on from this diva

Ramo$e and aaquaa like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Didn't see party size bag of Funyuns. Didnt vote.

jkjk

aaquaa and DCHAMP like this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Obviously if you can get a return for Wood in a trade u do it. But consider that straight up cutting him is not the end of the world and it may be the best thing for the franchise in the long run. We have to establish a team-first, maximum effort culture. We are at the beginning of a long rebuilding process. Establish the right culture is more valuable than the return we could get on Christian Wood. We honestly cannot afford to wait for maximum value; we need to move him as a direct response to the incident, no matter the return.

I was never as high on KPJ as others are and I honestly don’t care what we do with him as long as it’s with an eye towards establishing a team-first culture and accountability. Cut him if it will help establish the culture we need.

Ramo$e, AlperenSengun and daywalker02 like this.
  15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

The thing that isn't really talked about very much and why Woods contract is really good is that he has this year and next year left on a low contact. The low contract for money saving purposes isn't the reason to jump at Wood but rather the flexibility it provides. An already capped out team can't move 25mil easily to add Wood but has a much better chance moving 13mil. I think is current contract has more value to a contender than the potential of him getting resigned or what is ultimate skillset is worth.So ultimately its not about if his skills itself is worth 2 FRP but rather his skills plus contract.

Ramo$e, Corrosion and DCHAMP like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Expiring + pick swap + future protected FRP seems nice.

DCHAMP likes this.
  17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

We'll be extremely lucky to get a late first for Wood at this point, more like a 2nd plus salary filler

jcmoon and aaquaa like this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

wood too srs. trade him for a casual

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t even care tbh, just get him outta here

him being off the team is addition by subtraction

jcmoon and AlperenSengun like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nah breh, those dudes were just in love with his empty stats.

Would have been good to trade him before his quitting news made the round.

Ramo$e likes this.