1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What REALISTIC trades can we make to improve our team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, May 4, 2003.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

but when you look at the 2nd half, all bets were off. 1st half of the season they'd played together in a cohesive unit. but when things got tough in the 2nd half, some players stopped listening and went back to ISO. I surely hope the 'steve to the 2' is going to work but what you and everyone else got to remember is that, if the BIG MAN system is implemented, Francis has to accept the 2nd fiddle role like the Dream and Drexler team. Drexler accepted being the 2nd option to Dream and carried the team when the big guy had an off game. Do you think Francis has enough maturity and selflessness to do that? and do you think Yao will stand up and say he wants the ball?

2. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Hmm...Francis....uhh....well his points and everything went down...he was trying to get others involved later on. Didn't work too well.

Ball movement.

Brent Barry.

Zach Randolph.

If we get Brent Barry....who doesn't want to score...and Zach Randolph. Muahah! a

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ming/Mobley for KG

4. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

"Trade #2-only if Portland wants to move Stoudamire & drop some additional salary with Rice's expiring contract.

Houston sends Mobley/Rice to Portland.

Portland sends Randolph/Stoudamire to Houston. "

I like. I wished Portland liked too...

Rice...bye bye!

Randolph would be great though. Good young player. Bad boy...but good.

Stoudamire isn't awesome but he can shoot. He's just too short. But he could be that point guard...but his defense.....I don't know.

Now why would Portland want Cuttino Mobley? They already have Bonzi Wells...who is better.

Glen Rice...they would want...since they are way over the cap.

5. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

Best prediction of future behavior is past behavior. Half our team would be iffy with smoking weed. You'd never know when they'd get caught and be suspended or not. Thats why Portland wants to get RID of Damon... come on, we can find someone better.

6. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

Dallas has three stars in Nash, Dirk, & Mike. So did the old 76ers, and Lakers.
    The issue is Yao has not shown the consistancy to come close to carry this team. That was one of our problems, when he showed flashes it changed our team direction and roles were redefined. Everyone wanted to go through Yao, but he was still a rok and had many ups and downs. Notice when he played poorly the team had a harder time winning because they became dependant on him too early.

If we were to add a Brand, SF, EB, and YM would be similar to what Shaq and Kobe bring to the lakers.
    Low post: Brand/ Yao
    Bigman midrange shooting: Yao
    Penetration: Steve
    Clutch shoting: Steve
    Rebounding: Brand 9+ then Yao 7+ then Steve 5+
    D: Yao/Brand
    Causing double teams: all three

Brand is one of the few stars I would add to ths team because
    he is more of a starrole player. Like in Duke he did what was need to win and is not worried about getting all the fame. I just wonder if he is too soft.

Rox do have a chance of getting him, a slim one but they've done more surpising things.

7. Dr34m

Dr34m Member

I'm sorry & you can call me resentful or bitter if you want for this, but when we acquired Pippen, in my book he was washed up... I love Barkley but yes he too was also washed up (on the decline). I refuse to believe that both of them during their prime wouldn't be able to team up with the Dream to produce several championships for Houston.

For the record: Pippen, let's just say that I have a less than favourable opinion of him - even when he was smoking hot (in 94).

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

MManal,your trades are realistic. I would like to see Eric Snow added to the list of point guards. I wouldn't trade Mobley for Williams but I like the idea of getting Jon Barry.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

How about Francis for Murphy, Arenas, and a #1. May have to send Taylor and a draft pick to a team under the cap to compensate for Steve's BYC status.

#29 StupidMoniker, May 5, 2003
    Last edited: May 5, 2003
  10. Sane

Sane Member

Francis is as much a SG as Arenas is. No use swapping.

I think we get HAMMERED in all of Hottodie's trades. We really don't fix any problems, and our team doesn't improve enough.

Think smaller trades with bigger turnover.

A 3-way with Portland and Indiana, I'd let go of any combination of Cato, Rice, Griffin, Mobley, and Taylor for Jeff McInnis, Derek Anderson, and Indiana's choice of Bender or Harrington.

That's where we shoud look: McInnis is a pure PG with excellent decision making, Anderson can play off the ball and can also distribute from the 2, Bender or Harrington is our new 3 so we let Posey walk.

Ming/Cato
    Taylor/Harrington/Cato
    Harrington/Anderson/Boki
    Anderson/Francis
    Francis/McInnis

We fix a lot of issues, imprve size, we don't get older, don't get younger, improve our ackcourt DRAMATICALLY. Last season, Steve was the best passer in the backcourt, here, he's proaly the worst, which is excellent. We play a decent amount of small ball, and we hae lots of options at the 1, 2, 3. We can go really big too, and we have an excellent reounder at the 3 to compensate for Mo at the 4.

Thoughts?

11. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Now this is the kind of thread that I like!
    Lately(since Doc posted his thread) there has been too many wild dream-casting ideas on this board(KG for Mobley and Steve,WTF?!)
    Everybody here agrees that our 2 priorities are to get a Pass first PG and a tough banger PF.
    Therefor I would consider your 1st trade but instead of Mohammed get their 1st round pic to get a back up PG.
    That gives:
    Cat/moochie+filler if needed...
    for
    Ratliff/1st round pic

Now for the PG and knowing we're going to have a log jam at PF(again),use MoT,Cato and maybe even Rice(might need him though for vet leadership and ending contract) to lure brent Barry.I know he's not a PG but I don't think we need a pure PG but more of a versatile G that passes well.
    Am I contradicting myself here?!...:D

Another option for the PF spot,and like Hottoddie suggested,is Fortson.I'm sure he can be had for little.
    How about a Moochie for Fortson trade?...

ALA

12. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I like that trade, if Indiana would do it, I'd jump on this one.

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

What do you base this on? Did you watch him lead a completely overachieving and talent limited Toronto team to the playoffs last year when Carter went down? Toronto was also in shambles this year with injuries and the guy managed to still have an excellent A/TO ratio and shot a respectable 44% and an OK (given no creators on his team) 33% from the arc. The guy is steady and should only have even better stats around quality double-team demanding offensive players like Yao and Francis.

My moves this offeason would be 1) A Williams for Mobley or a 3-way deal for A. Williams (Mobley+Tmo going to LAC, Dre going to Toronto), 2) Cato & Mooch (plus 2nd rounder maybe) for Ratliff. Then we resign Posey. That gives us:

Yao/Ratliff/Mo or FA/draftee
    Ratliff/Mo/EG
    JP, Rice, Boki, EG
    Francis, FA (Jon Barry?), JP, Hawkins
    A. Williams, Francis (FA or draftee)

I would also be open to using Boki (replace Tmo int he line-up) in one of the above deals if we have too as long as we also get a couple of extra 2nd rounders in return. For instance Mobley + Boki (instead of Tmo) to LAC, with for A. Williams and two 2nd rounders going to Houston--if that is what it takes (it might, this way Dre can get around 7 mil).

Also with the above trades EG has 6 months to at least win the #2 power forward spot or he is traded before next seasons deadline.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

With Yao inside spacing would be nice. I think Antoine Walker would be a better fit than a banger 4. Lafrentz would fit here, IMO. Garrity for 20+ mins/game would be interesting.

A banger just might not 'fit', but get me Brand and let's make it work.

Outside I want a combo guard and/or point forward to lighten Stevie's load. Kucoc would look good, Odom better. Aged PG GP could still look good in Rox colors (red and silver?) A pass first guard might not be the right fit, tho get me Dre and let's make it work.

Aaron Williams is just wrong in Jersey. He'd be a better human being in H'town.

15. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

This actually doesn't fall in the realm of realistic trades unless the Rocks are willing to overpay, but I think many of us agree that the Rocks need excellent support-players rather than superstars now. Someone who hasn't gotten much talk anymore on this board is Shane Battier. He seems like the ultimate role player: can shoot, plays with heart, good defender, has a good head on his shoulders, does a little bit of everything and is a leader to boot. Problem is, it sounds like the Grizzlies aren't interested in changing him unless they get a deal that they can't pass up, which would mean we'd have to overpay to get him. Having said that, who would people be willing to give up for Battier? I'd trade Cat (who I'm not ready to give up on yet) to pry Battier from Memphis.

16. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I also want Odom, Williams and PJ Brown. Good team, with defined roles.

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

alley-oop:- We seem to be on the same page but I would like to hear what your thaughts are on the fact that you have Francis now at the TWO and making 5 rebounds a game. Dont you think that he should be getting down the court to score after the pass, rather than positioning himself for rebounds? We have so many players that just stand arround and the Coach could demand an extra effort from them to get the Francis rebounds.

18. fred futureStar

I haven't seen one trade idea posted here that would dramatically improve our team and make me gasp "oh my God, think of the possibilities". I hate to see good talent get away, then a few years later or less we lament their leaving as they excel with another team in the playoffs (think of Kenny Thomas here). If we get rid of anyone, regardless of method, my 3 picks for the revolving door are:

1) Glen Rice - because he actually has trade value
    2) Moochie Norris - because he has no trade value
    3) Mo Taylor - because his butt is bigger than his heart and drive

in that order and what ever we can get for that...well, send 'em on and look out above, we're comin' to knock you off.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't understand the idea behind trading Cato away and brining in Theo Ratliff? Does this solve anything for the Rockets? What does this add? The idea in this trade I assume is to use Ratliff at the 4 spot with Yao at the 5. But haven't we all wanted to see Cato used in this role? And why has he not been? Because in the Rockets offensive system the 4 has to be able to shoot jumpers so their defender does not cheat over onto Yao. This is why Cato has not been placed at the 4 spot with Yao. And now you bring in Ratliff and put him at the 4? He has no offensive game, he has not jump shot. NOT going to happen! End of story.

In fact, I would wager that with this current Rockets offensive system if the Rockets got BEN WALLACE we STILL would not play him at the 4 with Yao because of the same reason.

This certainly is an indictment on the Rockets offensive system that we can't plug in players like this into our offensive system but at the same token this is the system we currently have so let's not make trades for players that won't fit into the system we do have.

If I am the Rockets and I am trying to trade Cato I am looking more for someone such as a PJ Brown/Brian Grant(salary aside) that has decent rebonding skills is a banger but at the same token DOES have a 15ft jump shot that will keep defenses honest.

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Why is everyone so high on Ratliff? In 31.1 mpg, he avg, 8.7 pts, 7.5 reb, and 3.2 blks and 46% from the field. Solid numbers but heck Griffin is avg 8.6 pts, 6.0 reb, and 1.9 blks in 24 min / game on 40% shooting from the field. I think if Griff played 7 more min, he can definitely score and reb more, though not neccessarily have more blocks but will come close.

Also, with Ming in the middle, and Francis's main weapon being penetrate then dish, we need shooters from the outside. Say what you will about Eddies form, 33.3% from beyond the arc isn't really that bad. Atleast good enough that the other team have to respect it on most nights. I honestly don't think Ratliff is the answer or upgrade.