1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What position do we need the most: Point Guard or Power Forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MiketheRocket, May 23, 2015.

1. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

PG

A knockdown three PG ideally.

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

PG and backup PG .... not even remotely close.

D-Mo was really coming into his own, and meshing well with Dwight and Harden, right before he got injured. So I don't think PF is that big of a need, specially if we manage to resign Smith.

In terms of our PG situation, right now as we stand we have a restricted free agent PG in Patrick Beverley, whose coming off surgery and wasn't even that a great of a starting PG when he was healthy, Jason Terry who's getting ready to retire, and Prigioni, who at his age should consider retirement.

The Rockets PG situation is really ugly.

3. MiketheRocket

MiketheRocket Member

I don't disagree with the need of the PG but I wonder if we need a traditional PG. Let's be honest our true point is Harden. So if by PG you mean a high % three point shooter then I might agree.

4. Rockston

Rockston Member

A PG please; but does anyone have any ideas of true upgrades other than Ty Lawson? He seems to be #1 on everyone's wishlist, or is there a draft prospect that will be ready to handle the ball when the lights come on in next years playoffs? Can we go into next year with a PG rotation of Bev/Rookie/Nick with our heads held high?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

You can't count on a rookie.

Daniels(last year) and Capela(this year) have helped (in the playoffs) but usually Rockets rookies spend most of the year in the D-League.

And you can't count on just re-signing Bev and saying 'Yeah, we fixed our PG problem.'

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A younger Prigioni would have been good for us. A secondary play maker who can catch/shoot will low turnovers and bring decent to good defense is needed.

Harden is our true point, but he cannot be our only true point. I think DJ Augustin should be targeted in a trade. I feel he can play as a starter along with Harden. James is an underrated catch and shoot player too.

7. hakeemthagreat

I'm telling you Beverley would've at the minimal slowed Curry down and made him work for every shot. Patrick Beverley should be brought back for the sole purpose of guarding Curry

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

PG by far

they have an excellent PF, he just happens to be hurt. Jones and Smith are fine, but they are backups, not starters. With DMO back, PF will be fine

Terry and Prigioni should not be back next season. Beverly with another shooting and scoring PG capable of creating is what the team desperately needs.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We have three decent PFs, although each of them has unique weaknesses. When they are all healthy, we are actually fine. I think we are definitely keeping DMo. Either Jones or Smith or both will be gone and we should still be fine, given that Capela can be the full-time backup center.

We have no starting caliber PG. I've been saying that Beverley is not a starting NBA PG ever since last season. (I know, I know... the numbers were clear. :))

It's just a joke that we are playing two grandpas at that position for a playoffs run. AS someone said, Terry is the backup of someone who should be a backup. And Prigioni used to be a backup on the worst team in the league.

So yeah, we need a good PG really, really bad.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Dorsey , Jones & Smith have to get gone.

Dwert , DMo & Capela are a nice start with DMo able to play with either of the other two .... But you need another PF since neither Dwert or Capela can play the 4 spot.

PatBev or no PatBev you still need another point guard as none of the current options are good enough to be the #1 or #2 option. You can get by with PatBev as the #1 but you need someone who can do the things he cant for the second unit.

The answer to the thread title ?! Both.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

12. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

We have Dmo and Bev ,if they were both healthy..........

13. malakas

malakas Member

How is this even a question? The obvious answer is PG.

14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

We are not looking for another 3 & D type of pg, people. The starting caliber pg I have in mind has to be a playmaker more than anything else. He has to be able to take over play making duties when Harden is resting or when he has one of those off games. Said pg has also be able to drive to the hole if defenses choose to double or shadow teamed Harden with an extra defender nearby.

Just because Harden has essentially been our pg for the last 3 years, it does not mean we don't need one. Add a Lowry, a Larson type of pg and it will make life 5X easier on the Rockets. Overall team play will become much more efficient.

To get somebody like that will cost you assets, but at this point, Morey needs to do whatever it takes to land one.

15. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Power Forward. We need a Draymond Green. Not another Harden or Curry.

16. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Both Bev and TJones cant get it done. They are not legit starters in contending team. But I would say the PF is more important than another PG.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

How about getting back Asik? And a PF who can shoot the midrange

I don't see we can play Dwight much in the regular season without him getting injured again. Man, when Ezeli is outrebounding our PFs, it makes me mad.

As some have already pointed out, we need a pick and pop option. Our PFs cannot shoot the midrange consistently. It would make it easier for our offense if we have that option.

Starting PG/Bev
    Harden/Back-up SG
    Ariza/Brewer/McDaniels
    DMo/Scola
    Howard/Asik/Capela

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Point Guard. When DMo is healthy we have a stable of good Power Forwards who are capable of being great on a given night.

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

This is very true, but Beverly won't make Curry work at the other end and that's the key. Beverly was the most missed player on this team because of his toughness on defense and his playoff physicality, but no way he makes Curry or Paul work on the defensive side of the ball. Harden will be a much better player with the ability to play off the ball at times, putting everything on his shoulders will never work IMO.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Point. Guard.