1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What players in the 2016 draft would you trade Capela for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

Capela for Zhou Qi? Are you kidding me? Dude couldn't even dominate back in China. I'd take Capela any day of the week.

2. basketballholic

Here's the deal with Capela. He's at a tipping point in his development. He has to come back this fall with a substantial upgrade to his game. Otherwise his "potential" will never likely be realized. And the odds are already markedly against him being special because 7 footers that can catch and dunk but can't shoot are becoming common place.

Don't be fooled by some pick-and-roll finishes and a few blocked shots from the weak side. Look at how bigs control the paint and change opponents shots and rebound. Capela doesn't do any of those things well right now when he is the man. He does look good defensively alongside another dominant paint defender that absorbs punishment and allows Capela to somewhat hide in the weeds and roam on the interior while the other big does the dirty work.

I don't hate Capela. I'm just a realist in a world of hype. He doesn't have outstanding anything. He's long but not super long like Whiteside, DJ, Gobert, Drummond, etc. He's big but not nearly as big as those guys. He's athletic but not any more athletic than those guys. He is and above average rebounder but when he goes up against these guys and other playoff team bigs he's just another guy out there and his rebounding percentages fall to below average. And the idea that he played better this last season than he did at the end of the previous season is simply not true. He had the advantage of playing alongside Smoove in our 2015 playoff run. He was not better this season. I could make a case that he dropped off to match the team drop off ........ which is a huge indicator that he isn't a difference-maker.

Now all that could change this summer and he have a break out this fall under _Antoni. But I'd rather not take the risk because there's a high risk that he doesn't break out and if he doesn't then his asset value goes in the tank. All teams know the data. If a player has not broke out in his third season it's not likely that he ever will. In fact the odds are tiny that he will become anything more than just another mid level player.

I don't see it happening with Capela. I'd rather move him at what I feel is close to peak value before he suffers a cratering of his value.

3. GottaHaveHeart

"[Capela] has tremendous potential,” Olajuwon said.

"I’m just trying to encourage him to play to his strengths because he does so many things so well. To work with a guy like that is wonderful because his potential is great."

-The DREAM

And thats why you don't trade him. We can all say he even outplayed DH at times this season. James seemed to be more comfortable playing with Clint. Unlike Howard, Cappela is more coachable and shows an eagerness to work on his offense and apply what he's learned in the game. Footwork is better, played soccer just like Hakeem, Dream entered the league very raw and got better. This kid can do the same! He's a young BIG and We have a tradition of BIGs

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think we can all agree that if Clint Capela turned into deandre Jordan it would be a major accomplishment.

Keep in mind they both came into the NBA at age 19.

Deandre Jordan started getting 25 min a game in his 3rd season and every eat after that his minutes have increased. In year 3 he Avg. 7 and 7 with 1.8 blks.

Clint Capela in yr 2 avg. 7 and 6.5 with 1.2 blks in 19 minutes.

Deandre Jordan didn't avg. A double double till year 8 when he put up 10 and 13. In fact he didn't even avg 10 points or 10+ rebounds individually till yr 6.

Capela is actually on a faster progression than Deandre Jordan. Keep in mind Jordan has aloe been playing with master lob pg Chris Paul for the past 5 seasons.

I think Clint is going to be just fine as an NBA starting center going foward it just takes these big guys more time to grow into their roles. It's very rare that these raw bigs come into the league and get it from the get go.

Capela has shown enough flashes that we should want to hang onto him and that sentiment grows when you factor in we don't have any other center on the roster. I think Clint can be a double double this year if he's given the starter role and 28+ mpg which I think is pretty high at this point. He was basically 7/7 this year in under 20 minutes this season.

He's shown a good ability to block shots around the hoop front side and back side and also good chemistry with Harden on the pick and roll. He runs the floor extreamly well for a big is able to shuffle his feet and stay with smaller wing players. He's even gotten better with his touch around the hoop in put backs and drives to the hoop.

All in all Capela is a keeper unless we get a great deal for him. I think in this weak draft you could prob get the 10th pick for him but I don't think Morey would do that unless he was sure about a player who had slipped and it was a last minuet draft day trade.

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Year 6 for deandre Jordan not 8*

6. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

Sabonis, Simmons, Hield, Dunn for sure. Maybe others.

Sabonis would be perfect for this offense

7. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

With all respect to what Olajuwon has provided the Rockets with, he's absolutely of no value in player evaluation, analysis, or honestly even development.

Capela is a 50-50 hit or miss guy. He's a NBA player, is he going to be more than an occasional dunking, defensive big. Or is he going to develop into someone that can do much, much more.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

I agree. It's like flipping a coin with Capela. This is where Morey needs to get it right. Morey should have a much better idea than any of us about what Capela's upside really is. Hakeem should also have a good idea of what Capela is capable of.

Right now Capela doesn't look ready to play 30+ minutes night after night. Do the Rockets want to be patient with Capela, or do they want to try to find someone more experienced to play with Harden the next two years?

I don't think the Rockets will trade Capela for a draft pick. I do think the Rockets could sign someone like Cole Aldrich to split time with Capela.

9. Ranny

Ranny Member

If we could get a top 5 pick for Capella I would do it, not that anybody would offer or accept that sort of deal though.

Capella is a good player tjhat we can already use in our rotation and he has a lot of future, maybe just MAYBE we could get away with a pick between 5 and 10, but the draft class doesnt seem that good this year so i dont know if the risk would be worth it for us, plus i think we would have to add a 2nd rounder to the deal to make it work.

10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yea try to get 11th pick for capela, orlando wants a big man there..

11. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I think the best case scenario would be the #6 pick, as I believe NOLA has a hole at C and would be very intrigued by a Davis/Capela lineup. But, they have so many other glaring holes, most notably at PG, that if Dunn falls to them they would be foolish to not grab him. As such, you're most likely scenario is #10-#15, and unless you can package that pick along with a Harrell or KJ or the like to move up in the #6-#9 range, it's simply not worth it.

Had we missed the Playoffs I would have been shocked to see Capela on the team in October. But without that 1st RD pick to attach to him, I would be shocked to see him moved.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

What about Qi do you like?

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Actually, I was the only one saying that.:(

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Exactly. He would be the perfect PF to put next to Howard. He would almost immediately start over Capela because of his range.
    Or, trade Dmo and have a Capela/Sabonis duo instead.
    I am also a fan of using Harden to get a few of those picks from Boston.

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Thank god your not the GM.

Trading harden for a few draft picks from Boston would be an absolute steal on their part. I'm sure they would get rid of every pick they have for Harden.

I wouldn't even think about trading harden for the number one pick.

Draft picks rarely work out and your hoping that they turn into what Harden is? A top 5-10 player who makes Allstar games and gets all NBA honors.

You guys really think guys who make all NBA 1st team twice by age 25 and been runner up mvp is easy to get? Cmon some of You guys with this trade harden for draft picks are delusional.

If you want to trade him atkeast make the trade entertaining and realistic. Getting the #3 pick as The main asset is terrible on our part. We would be even more of a joke in the NBA world. All while making Boston the 2nd best team in the east. Sounds like a great idea.

You must secretly be a Celtics fan I get it now.

16. basketballholic

Extreme length combined with actual basketball skills. He can shoot. He can get up and down. I realize he has high bust potential. But after watching Kristaps come on the scene last season and after watching all the video I can find on him I'm convinced he's legit.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If I were GM we would have won a championship by now.
    Trading Harden for all 3 of Bostons 1st rounders is a genius move if you know how to draft.

18. basketballholic

Not if there isn't a harden equivalent talent in the draft.

19. basketballholic

This statement has a very good chance of being laughable in 3 years.

20. Sanity2disChaos

IF, And it's a big one, they trade him it should be at next season's deadline. Then you have some time to evaluate the rookies and hope Capela is playing great. Also hope another team has lost hope in a guy / or wants to sell high,on a guy we could use.