1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Player in NBA History Would You Build a Team Around?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThaRegul8r, Feb 5, 2006.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Again, I can't believe people are mentioning defensive role players and not mentioning Michael Cooper.

I feel OLD. :(

Kids - think Boris Diaw and Bruce Bowen but....better than both combined.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Same here. I wouldn't even think twice.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

2 HOFers:

Dream
    Magic

2 All-Stars:

Buck Williams (Solid defender, great rebounder, wouldn't mind being a role player on a great team)
    Chris Mullin (Imagine the looks he'd get with Magic and Dream on the floor)

Role players... guys who never made it to even one All-Star Game:

Guards...
    Ron Harper
    Kenny Smith
    Michael Cooper

Frontcourt...
    Cedric Maxwell
    James Edwards
    Kurt Rambis
    Robert Horry
    Mitch Kupchak

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

jordan and hakeem and any 3 scrubs is all i need.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

first player i take is magic johnson. no question about it.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

kinda like what moses malone said.

8. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I'm going with Hakeem and Stockton as my two Hall of Fame picks.

PF- Shawn Kemp (the Reign Man version before he signed that Cavalier contract. I'm still in awe of all the alley-oops and facials he did.)

SF- Robert Horry (simply the best low post entry passer in H-Town history and clutch to boot)

C- Hakeem (No intor required)

SG- Petrovic

PG- Stockton (Magic is an automatic lock but this Hakeem's team)

Bench

PF- Dennis Rodman (The Detroit version)

SF- Shawn Marion

C- Ralph Samson (The Original Twin Towers)

SG- Mario Elie (Always room for the guy with the Kiss of Death shot)

PG- Terry Porter

11th man- Kenny Smith

12th man- Otis Thorpe

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

In the 2 HOFers and 2 All-stars mode (and not picking any rookies that are sure future all-stars) -

Franchise player: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Kareem in his prime was arguably the second greatest center of all time (behind Wilt). In addition to that, he played forever, so you are going to be set at that position for quite a while. No real weaknesses in his game either.

Second HOFer: Larry Bird
    Larry Legend has the shooting and passing to be a perfect outside complement to Kareem's inside attack. In addition, he is a very good rebounder, a tenacious defender, and one of the greatest competitors in NBA history.

First All-star: Charles Barkley (he's not in the hall yet ;))
    Rebounding. He would be worth having for that skill alone. His magnificent offense just lets you continue to dominate the inside game when Kareem is on the bench.

Second All-star: John Stockton
    I hate the Pasty Gangsta as much as the next Rocket fan, but the man can run the point and shoot the rock like nobody's business. With the Legend and Stock, teams are going to pay for doubling.

Final Starter: Cuttino Mobley
    Cat has never been in an All-star game, the closest he came was the earlier events in the weekend. He has all the tools I want in my shooting guard: defense, outside shot, ability to penetrate, competitive fire, love of the game.

Bench:
    Andre Miller
    A solid passer that plays within himself. Not a lot of range, but has a reliable shot in the midrange game.

Troy Murphy
    Solid all around power forward. Good shooting range, so he can play with a dominant post player. Pretty good rebounder.

Mario Elie
    I liked his toughness and his determination. He is the kind of bulldog that can be brought in off the bench when the starters aren't clicking to change momentum.

Chris Kaman
    I like this young guy from the Clippers. He is comfortable with both hands around the basket, has decent range, and on occasion plays some intimidating defense.

Jon Barry
    Great shooter with a good understanding of the game. Good energy guy to bring off the bench. Perhaps most importantly, an excellent locker room presence.

Matt Bullard
    With one of Kareem and Barkley in the game at all times, there are going to be a lot of open looks from beyond the arc, and it is nice to have a PF that can extend the defense that far.

Earl Boykins
    Very nice as a change of pace point. Like Stockton, he can shoot and pass very well, but instead of relying on an incredible understanding of the game, Boyknis uses pure speed.

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

AS Jordan , Bird, Johnston & Hakeem are rather past their prime, I must look to getting the best big Man with the best potential of developing along with my new team-YM.

11. ThaRegul8r

ThaRegul8r Member

Of course, since you're choosing from everyone who has ever played the game, and since they all played at different times, it should be understood you are getting said players in their primes. Unless there's a certain point in their career that you wish to choose a player from...

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Magic was the prototype "5-tool" player. He could do it all.

A guy like him would dominate the classic era and run circles around Nash in today's rules.

With the death of today's center, he could play 4 or 5 on half the nights and win the matchup. Which he did when Kareem went down at the finals during his rookie year in the Golden Age of the NBA...

You get Magic, throw some bums around him and party like it's 1989.