1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Player in NBA History Would You Build a Team Around?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThaRegul8r, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Damn...that team is a force to be reckoned with. Although in a year or two Howard will probably become an All-star or even a potential HOF a year or 2 after that who knows. I have a feeling that he will be taking over for Shaq in the East.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

hakeem the dream olajuwon.

i'd suround him with clyde drexler, mario elie, robert horry, sam cassell, kenny smith, chucky brown, matt bullard....

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you forgot tracy murray

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

STARTERS:
    1. MJ (Jordan that is, playing 2 guard)
    2. MJ (Magic, playing the 1)
    3. LB (the real Birdman)
    4. TD (3 rings already)
    5. Hakeem (sorry, a little homecooking, best offensive/defensive combo center in history)

BACKUPS:
    6. Kobe (the same will to win as Jordan)
    7. Oscar (nuff said)
    8. Scottie (great defender and playmaker)
    9. Barkley (ABM-anybody but Malone)
    10. Russell (biggest winner in history of NBA)

11. Kareem (leading scorer in the history of the game, he's gotta get a spot)
    12. me (there's no way I would miss this)

Those guys would go 82-0 in any era.

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I made my picks draft-style. Meaning I'll assume that it's a draft and make picks based on tiers, and where guys would likely be avaliable.

Round 1. Magic-A 6'9" PG with eyes in the back of his head, and creativity to burn? He's the most unique player in NBA history.

Round 2. Walton or Sabonis(in his Prime)-Both are great passing centers with all-around skills, and that's the theme of my team.

Round 3. T-mac-This pick might be a bit iffy (Would he be avaliable here?). I'd imagine that he'd be highly coveted, but round 3 in a G.O.A.T. draft should be about right for him. He's one of the best all-around players in history. He can shoot, pass, defend, and handle the rock. What more can you ask for out of your SF.

Round 4. C-Webb-Might be the most talented PF to ever play the game. He's got great hands, a quality high-post/low-post game, and the ability to run the floor. He's also a terrific rebounder, but what really sets him apart is his passing. Great interior passer as well as out of the high post. And I'm sure he'd be avaliable at this pick.

Round 5. Ray Allen-Well we've got to have one dead-eye outside shooter to take advantage of all the passing on this team. And he has a much better midrange game than most people give him credit for.

Bench:

Joe Dumars- One of the best backcourt defenders in history, and a clutch shooter. If Magic gets into trouble defending smaller PGs, then just bring Joe D in and slide Magic to the SG on defense.

Chris Paul- Down the road he might turn out to be a HOF. But at this point, I'd expect he'd be avaliable in the later rounds. He's the second coming of Isiah (who I would have picked if I thought he'd be avaliable).

Bruce Bowen- A lockdown defender off the bench, who can make the open 3's that he would be getting all day on this team.

Robert Horry- I can't think of a better role-playing backup forward than Horry. He can play both forward spots, being quick enough to defend SFs and long enough to guard most PFs. And he's got this freakish ability to deliver in the clutch.

Marcus Camby- Yes he's the glass man, but on this team, he's really just icing on the cake when healthy.

Yao- He'd be an excellent backup center, and depending on the rules, also highly effective regardless of competition (I firmly believe that he would have be a beast in the illegal defense era). And with the level of passing on this team, he'll be a terrific finisher around the basket.

Boris Diaw- In case you haven't noticed, I love these 6'8"-6'9" guys that can do a little bit of everything.

Depth Chart:

Magic / Chris Paul
    Ray Allen / Dumars / Bowen
    T-mac / Horry / Diaw /Bowen
    Webber / Camby / Horry / Diaw
    Walton (Sabonis) / Yao / Camby

Basically my team-building philosophy was to fill the starting lineup with players that had a lot of all-around skills and could especially pass. Then fill up the bench with guys that could fill specific needs, so you could mix and match with the starters to matchup with the other team.

#25 m_cable, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

not pippen.

7. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

barkley+yao+mcgrady+allen+nash

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If I took any four generic players and put them around any player, my list would be Magic first, Hakeem second, and Jordan third.

9. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'll build two teams, one around Hakeem, and the other around Russell, with one secondary star for each player, all starters in their primes, bench players are bench players, for instance Deke on the bench is the Rocket's version not the Nugget's version.

C - Hakeem
    PF - Thorpe
    SF - McGrady
    SG - Dumars
    PG - Porter

Bench: Horry, Elie, Sura, Deke, Bobby Jackson, Bullard, Salley

C - Russell
    PF - Rasheed
    SF - Worthy
    SG - Jordan (Bull's version that wasn't winning championships)
    PG - Cassell

Bench: Kukoc, Walton, Manu, Kerr, Mason, Hunter, Chuck Hayes

That's just what I'm feeling today, if I did another one of these tomorrow they would probably look a lot different, although it would probably still be Hakeem and Russell.

10. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

pg - nash (all-star)
    sg - MJ (HOF)
    sf - garnett (all-star)
    pf - dwight howard (nothing yet)
    c - Bill Russell (HOF)

bench

samuel dalembert (i want my center position to have strong defense)
    dennis rodman (hustle)
    bruce bowen (defense)
    robert horry (clutch)
    kyle korver (big threes)
    gerald wallace (exciting offense and blocks)
    bobby jackson (great "backup" pointguard)

11. stro4swift

stro4swift Contributing Member

barkley+jordan

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Magic Johnson.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Probably Magic, Alcindor, Jordan, maybe Bird - that's about it.

Apologies to Hakeem, but in this elite crew only 2 rings doesn't cut it

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you like Diaw, you'd have LOVED the octopus:

[​IMG]

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Shaq or Dream
    Rodman
    Artest
    Dale Ellis
    Magic Johnson

16. pacertom

pacertom Member

if limited to twp hall-of-famers, I'd build around Wilt and Magic.

Then if I add in all-star but non-Hall-of-famers as core guys, I'll take Dominique Wilkins, Adrian Dantley, Dennis Johnson, and George McGinnis.

Then if you want some very solid role players to step in when needed, give me Robert Horry, Jeff Hornacek, and Calvin Murphy. I guess I need a non-Hall-of-fame backup center, so give me Artis Gilmore.

I need some lockdown D, so give me Alvin Robertson, Derrick McKey, and Ron Harper.

C Wilt/ Gilmore
    PF McGinnis/Dantley/Horry
    SF Dominique Wilkins/McKey
    SG Alvin Robertson/Hornacek
    PG Magic/Murphy/DJ

That would be a solid 12 on offense and defense, with the criteria of only 2 hall-of-famers (I think?) and a mix of talents.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

pacertom,

I don't mean to derail this thread too bad, but do you know where I can find a complete list of all the people who have ever laced 'em up in a Pacers uniform? Thanks.

18. pacertom

pacertom Member

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

amazing that so many people say barkley, even some over hakeem.

20. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

PG - Mark Price (in his prime as a pure shooter, smart player, & a 3 point threat)(my first all-star)
    SG - Jordan (hard to not take him as the player to build around)(first HoFer)
    SF - Tayshaun Prince (not really a star, but solid all around)(great support)
    PF - Kirilenko (a great support player, and an occasional go-to guy in situations where the 2 future HoFers gets doubled)(not really an all-star, but should be)
    C - Olajuwon (part of it is biased, but when he's at his prime, he's simply one of the best centers of all time that can actually shoot if needed be)(other HoFer)

Bench Players
    B.J. Armstrong - smart player that loves to shoot that corner jumper. Hard to guard him with HoFers in the lineup.

Richard Jefferson - Good all-around player. Worthy of being a starter, but Prince's defensive purpose would work better in the starting lineup that includes Hakeem and MJ. (not really an all-star, but should be)

Mehmet Okur - good rebounder that can work as a backup in 2 positions

Brad Miller - tough PF/C that could do a little of everything. Not the best shot-blocker, but won't need to be if paired with either Hakeem or Kirilenko

Robert Horry - just to be there as a defender and clutch shooter in the playoffs

Cuttino Mobley - a good scorer that can be defensively minded; perfect to backup MJ for a few minutes and shift to PG for a few minutes a game if needed be.

Mario Elie - defensively sound player that can play 2 positions and shoot a 3 (and with MJ/ Dream around, he'll have time to get that shot off)

Kevin Johnson - my other All-Star (probably going to be a HoFer... possibly. I don't really consider him that, though.) Has some range, but knows better than to continue shooting that 3. QUICK hands and smart player.

Voshon Lenard - great shooter, and can't think of anything else to add.