1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What phone would you upgrade to LG G2 or Galaxy S4?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Let me get this straight? If a phone has a plastic cover, it can't be a premium phone? Do you really think an extra $1 of metal justifies it being a premium phone?

I am more concerned about the actual performance of the phone, not the 'feel'. I am not concerned about the resale value. I do not need to have the latest phone to feel hip. I upgrade when my current phone has outlived its purpose and there is a new one that brings significant value to the purchase, not yearly incremental irrelevant upgrades.

And if you don't like the manufactures skin, load a custom ROM or stick with Apples simpleton design.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

My phone is an HTC One....My tablet is an iPad....My computer is a Macbook Pro.
    I want a reliable device, that can perform the functions I want...with a PREMIIUM design. We are paying good money for devices that we have to keep for a period of time. Why not have good looks with performance?

Apple's simpleton design is still the smoothest OS. Yes, a premium phone CAN have a plastic body...but it shouldn't. You may not LIKE the Iphone/iPad, but their designs are the best in the industry. Why can't you make a phone with a Great OS/Function with a Slick, industrial design? Apple has and it has worked for them.

HTC is trying the same thing. Great design/materials with a smooth OS (skin). Compared to the S3 I had, the HTC One reminds me of what a premium phone should look/feel like with a nice user experience.

I picked up a Nokia Windows phone while browsing for phone and that felt like a premium phone should. I'm not a fan of Windows on phones, but the phone felt great.

3. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

My Note 2, Note 3, Nexus 4, and Nexus 5 felt great in my hands.

4. basketballholic

5. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Who cares about a design, I'm going to put a case on it anyways. I have seen way too many shattered IPhones to risk it. Love my Galaxy S3 by the way, I want to upgrade and I don't know which to get though. Maybe the next S phone or a Note?

6. Space Ghost

Two words. Incremental upgrades. Apple is the king of this. Why add a feature when you can add it in next years design and call it revolutionary.

But you will get your wish. The Samsung S5 will have a faster processor, 64bit OS, AND a metal body. That my friend, is incremental upgrades.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Which is why I will be selling my S4 for the S5. I actually love the S4 much, much more than the iPhone. I really only use it for internet, texting and pictures though, and the pics on the S4 blow away any iPhone.

I'm a simple kind of man.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yep...Samsung keeps following Apple. The S4 was crap and it show in the sales for it. It was destroyed in sales by the iPhone 5s.

I'm done with Samsung. I hate the AMOLED screens. Give me an S-LCD orIPS-LCD any day of the over saturated AMOLED screens. I will probably upgrade next year to the 2015 version of HTC One (if they keep the same metal build quality and screen).

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Show me the phone that wasn't.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

apple fanboys are blinded by "if it costs more then it must be better"

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And yet I own a HTC One....didn't know that was an Apple product....who knew?

I'm blinded by the fact you don't have to accept a ****ty plastic phone with good software as a Premium product. I want great build quality AND a great software experience.

Hmmm. The iPhone cost the same a an S4, G2, and HTC One for the most part. Galaxy Note 3 is more expensive. So how does "it cost more" come into play?

When I do buy an Apple product, I factor in the Customer service into price. I've walked into an Apple store and gotten a Macbook exchanged OUT OF WARRANTY. Exchanging hardware is a painless experience...for the most part.

I don't buy brand, I buy based on quality and user experience. My user experience with the HTC One is great (I chose it over going back to an iPhone). I thought about going with a G2, which is faster than an HTC One. However, I didn't like their base user interface (and yes....I know I could load a custom Rom). The HTC One base user interface is very nice and that allows the custom Rom I'm using to add to that experience without me going to a plain jane version of Android.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You should see his posts in the console war thread. Don't bother arguing with him, he has serious brand loyalty issues.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Brand.... Loyalty? So, when did Apple buy HTC? And the new Surface Pro I'm getting for work is also made by Apple? Wow... Apple has been on a buying binge.

14. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

I love my HTC One. Had it for about 5 or 6 months. It really is, IMO, the most beautiful phone out there.

Though not a fan of Mac, myself...I can dig what all these other companies are doing such as Asus and HTC; making their products more aesthetically pleasing like Apple has done in the past.

15. Space Ghost

How does Samsung keep following apple? :confused: Just because they decided to go with a metal case design? The Ipods had metal cases. Does that mean everyone else follows apple?

Up until Apple released a 64bit architecture, they have always lagged behind everyone else since the first Iphone. Its almost been 7 years since the first Iphone was released...and they still don't have a bigger screen.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Samsung has been copying Apple for years! Just look at their Series notebook computers. There is a reason Apple sued Samsung and WON. Samsung was the contract manufacturer of choice for Apple and Samsung used that relationship to rip off Apple design and production techniques. There is a reason Apple is trying to find other companies to supply the needed LCDs, Ram, and Processor production.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

18. Space Ghost

Seriously? Youre comparing the Iphone to 10 year old phones?

Nobody will refute that the Iphone didn't force the competition to finally step up their game. The fact is that most phones these days look the same. The biggest differentiation between an iphone and its competition is the screen size.

The same goes for the Ipad, except the Ipad is still considered the best slate on the market.

You might only be concerned about the brand and the physical feel of the phone. For me, all that I care about is voice quality, which BTW, they all suck. Then I expect it to perform like its suppose to. I really don't care about all the marketing garbage that really doesn't amount to anything.

19. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

[​IMG]

I've owned one of these personally. Had Windows 7 32-bit installed. Rectangle with rounded corners? WUT.

[​IMG]

Came out several months before the iPhone. WUT.

Not to mention the chicklet keyboard was taken from older Sony VAIOs. WUT.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No one said Apple was the first touchscreen phone, to use icons, or even with an Appstore. What Apple did is refine the user experience to make these phones easier to use and make mobile internet more like a computer-like browsing.

BTW.....this whole thing was not about Apple. It was about the HTC One. Apple haters seem to think if someone thinks build quality is important, there an Apple fan boy. I DON'T EVEN OWN an iPHONE! Android guys have sacrificed build quality for Android OS "openness" (which laughable because Android handset makers have made it harder and harder to root phones). My whole point, you don't have to accept plastic on a premium phone and still use Android. I bout the HTC One because of the metal build and their take on Android.

The S4 has been a huge disappoint for Samsung. One of the reason is the build quality compared to that "other phone" is lacking. Yes, appearance matters to MANY. There is a reason the S5 is going to a metal build. A bigger screen will only go so far. Eventually, everyone will have a BIGGER screen....you better have something else.