1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What percentage do you expect Kevin to shoot this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CDrex, Feb 20, 2010.

?

What will be Martin's '09-'10 FGP as a Rocket?

1. below .390

23 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. .390-.410

39 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. .410-.430

74 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. .430-.450

55 vote(s)
    25.7%
  5. .450-.470

13 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. over .470

10 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Factually yes hes only the decline with how many games he's played but 27 is when players are in or enter there prime. I hope he gets healthy I always wanted iggy anyways, just look at some of the older threads for my Iggy spam.

If it came down to it I'd definitely pursue Stat this summer and Rajon Rondo, or another pg, maybe Deron williams. Those guys aren't true pass first shoot last PGs but they'd definitely help ariza, Martin and crew.

Best of luck to Martin, hopefully tommorow NOLA will be a better night for the team.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

41-43%. i don't think he can regain that level like he was 2 years ago, but for a guy who takes the jumpers that he does, 41-43% is pretty good.

3. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

41-43% is terrible btw.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The Rocket Shooting Curse strikes again! One thing is a given Martin will shoot below his average like everyone who has come to the Rockets to help with shooting.. Rockets still haven't completed their sacrifice to the basketball gods.. I don't even think its that high a sacrifice..

1 Virgin
    1.21 Jigawatts feed into a Flux Capacitor via lightning strike
    Metacarpal from the left hand of "Pistol" Pete Marovich
    1 single strand of hair from Jerry "The Logo" West
    2 Cinnamon sticks

That **** is easily attainable.. Make it happen Morey!

5. valorita

valorita Member

Actually that depends on how many points he gets off that 41-43%. After all, field goal percentage is a stat to help measure how efficient you are. What it does not take into account are other variables such as 3pt and free-throws.

Simple illustration: You go and play pickup ball at the local gym where conventional 2 point baskets count as 1point and a three pointer counts as 2points. Player X makes 5/10 layups. Player Y makes 3/10 threes. Who is the more effective scorer? Player Y because they scored 6 points. Get my drift?

I agreed with the commentators to today's game saying that one of Martin's greatest contributions to the team will be when there are offensive droughts. We saw his ability to break that kind of slump with a isolation move or getting to the line.

Unless he shoots under 40%, he will be a positive addition to the team.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

for a guy like kmart who likes to play on the perimeter? no, that's pretty good.

kobe takes a lot of jumpshots and he shoots around 46% b/c he's better, but you don't see him around 50% at all for his entire career.

if kmart shoots 43% overall, 38% from 3s and go to the line like he can, it'll be a great addition.

7. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

41-43% is bad for a guy we're paying 13 mill a year for, and taking 16+ shots a game. That efficiency just isnt good enough to justify the amount of shots hes taking. He's shooting a TS of .535 this season which accounts for 3 pts and going to the line... If he continues at this rate, then this is going to be a very long season.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Chauncey Billups has shot in that range throughout his career, and he's been one of the most efficient players in the league. How is that possible?

Here's a hint: being able to shoot 3s efficiently, draw fouls, and shoot a high % from the line matter.

Martin has struggled a bit this year because he missed most of the first half of the season and he never got comfortable playing alongside Evans. Last 3 years, he's been near the top at his position in efficiency.

9. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

How does playing with a ball dominant guard like Tyreke drop your shooting efficiency so drastically? I don't buy it, efficient scorers are efficient no matter who they play with. As for injuries, its very reasonable to believe hes on the decline. We've seen what injuries did to Tmac's career here in houston, its possible we're seeing it right before our eyes with Kmart. It's only been one game, but his season has just been a miserable mess. I'm not encouraged by what I see given past circumstances.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

come on, do you really believe that what the guy meant was that "only in statistics, he is on the decline". Clearly he was saying that he believes Kevin Martin is on the decline as a player. That's a pretty stupid thing to say about a 27 year old who has had good years and is coming off an injury this year. His injuries shouldn't affect his game longterm, and all accounts seem to indicate that they aren't injuries that are going to be recurring issues.

I'd go ahead and put some tipjar money on Martin having a bounce-back year next year (at least compared to this supposed 'decline' he's in) once he gets a chance to get re-integrated into this offense

11. kaleidosky

I love this statement.

Let me just pick someone random. Care to tell me why Jeff Hornacek struggled when he was in Philly compared to his norms the 3 years before and the 2 years after?

I promise, he didn't decline magically for 2 years. He didn't turn into a "non-efficient scorer" for 2 years, either.

12. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Any other examples you can give besides Hornacek? Or perhaps its just one "random player" that you just happened to pick out to prove a point.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It effects the frequency and type of shots you're used to. That can certainly have an impact. Also after returning from over 2 months absence he had to play 12 out of 17 games on the road.

It is just not a good enough sample of games to conclude he is a declining player.

Except the Rockets have consulted doctors about it, and they insist Kevin Martin's injuries are not chronic and do not linger, which is very different from McGrady's.

14. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Reggie Miller was practically a career .600+ TS shooter. He's been on good teams and bad teams throughout his career, relegated to 3rd 4th option in his later years, yet he was able to maintain his shooting efficiency. Like I said, if you're efficient at scoring, you're efficient at scoring. Kmart isnt a player that needs to rely on a true pg to create open looks for him.

As for the Tmac injury, past management also throughly researched his injury history as well.

15. kaleidosky

How about a guy like Rip Hamilton? Having a career low year after the entire offense changed. Stuckey became his full-time point guard, but he doesn't run the offense the same way as Billups did. They also brought in more scorers like Villaneuva and Ben Gordon, rather than guys that didn't need the ball as much to score.

It's no coincidence that Hamilton's shooting percentage has fallen off hard this year. But if got back in the right type of offense, I'm sure he would be back as the more efficient scorer that he has been throughout his career (at least after he got out of the wizards situation)

16. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

There's many other factors involved. He missed a substantial amount of time due to injuries. Whos to say that his shooting efficiency wasn't negatively affected by coaching changes, injuries, overall chemistry issues with the entirely new team, age, contract considerations (after all he already got his contract extension and is sitting comfortably on a fat paycheck coming in every year).

I said this in another post but look at Reggier Miller's career. It didn't matter whether he was the 1st option or the 4th option in his later years. It didn't matter if his team was good or bad, he consistently shot ~.600 TS throughout his long career.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

There is no evidence that the injuries will not hurt him long term. All evidence counters this. Just because he does not have a chronic injury does not mean he is not hurt by injuries.

18. kaleidosky

now who's picking just 1 "random" example and saying that that's how it should be?

19. kaleidosky

I guess I'm going based on expert evaluations, what we've heard from doctors, and what a trainer (David Thorpe) has said.

You could certainly be right. But I'm going to side with what has been said rather than make assumptions to the contrary..

20. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Based on what I've heard from Kings fans, once he came back from his wrist injury, his shot has been completely off.. It's alarming he still hasn't been able to regain his shooting touch.