1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Offseason Moves Do the Rockets Need to Make Going Forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DwightHoward13, May 3, 2014.

1. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I think we throw the bank at Lowry or Rondo. Then sign George Karl

2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Who do you have in mind that can do better than George Karl? I think he is perfect for this team.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Wow I don't normally read a post like this and think much of it. But that sounds realistic and logical. Bravo sir

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am no capologist. If we can get Melo without giving up Harden, we must go for it.
    Harden can come off the bench, like in OKC. I know this is far from being an ideal situation, but we have no other choice.
    I don't want to trade Harden for Melo either, but I am open to it.
    Asik was valuable for us. He shouldn't be dumped, but he will create the same problem. He will need to traded and Lin too, despite his improved playoff performance in a package for a star. Parsons needs to shut his mouth, or leave.
    Dwight is the only one apart from Beverely who needs to be retained.

McHale needs to be replaced too. I will take any experienced coach apart from the evil Sloan.

#104 saleem, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  5. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

1) Get rid of McHale and hire either:

a) Van Gundy brothers
    or
    b) A Van Gundy
    c) Hollins
    d) Karl

with Elie and Murphy as assistant coaches.

2) Figure out a way to get Carmelo for 1 year cheap

3) Next year starting Lineup:

Lin
    Harden
    Melo
    Dwight
    Asik

Bench:
    Bev
    a legit backup for Harden...(maybe Troy...but someone else also)
    Parsons
    TJones
    DMo when needed

6. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

And that'll be another first round exit. If we want to get out we need Melo.

Just about all the real Lin fans are gone. What we have left are trolls pretending to be fans and you can be sure they'll be back to have "fun."

As always, the voice of reason.

7. dje243

dje243 Member

I bet we can lure Lowry away but trading for Millsap would be difficult. But a lineup with Lowry, harden, parsons, millsap, and Dwight would be unstoppable with the right coach. I believe Les will go all in and open up his checkbook for that kind of roster. Let there be tax.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

This, except I'm not full on board with getting rid of McHale. Don't forget his relationship with Kevin Love.

9. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

We need a ball dominant PG next year IF Harden is expected to improve his defense, which is a must if we ever expect to win a championship. He doesn't have the physical stamina to be a SG playing PG most of the game and then try to play very good defense. We need a better coach that will hold him accountable to play defense and learn to play without the ball in his hands all the time, but still maximize his talents and skills to the utmost.

Like you said, we won't get a better player at PG than Lin for that purpose unless Lin is packaged with Asik for a PG alone..and who could that be? And please, Bev is not our answer at starting PG..he is a very good player(with hustle and heart) and excellent backup. But making him a starter was the wrong decision and ultimately hurt us in the end.

10. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

Damn 6 months.. It's going to be tough

11. torocan

torocan Member

Um, wouldn't it be easier to just get a Coach that FORCES Harden to play Defense than screw up our 1 and 3 position in a vain attempt to contort our line up to accommodate his complete lack of effort?

Let me ask this simple question...

If Hollins, Pops or Thibs were coaching Harden, how long do you think he'd stay on the floor when he's mailing it in on the defensive end?

We've seen Harden play decent defense in short stretches. The problem is we don't have a coach that's willing to hold him accountable or challenge him to play defense on a more consistent basis.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

An NBA caliber "starting" PG" is a need screaming to be heard. Bev and Lin are both bench players, reserves, back ups. Our starting PG situation is one of the weakest in the league, and supposedly the position that is easiest to fill.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly

Harden, Jones, Parsons = Soft

We were the better team
    but we were also the less focused team. the more careless team and the more easily frustrated team.

This is all about Coaching and the players.
    we are closer than our record indicates

Rocket River

14. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Without question Morey goes after Melo hard this off-season. I think the Rox have the best package of players to put together in a SnT if Melo decides he wants to play in Houston.

Melo is not a Houston type of guy but he has to be skeptical of winning in NYC even with PJ there. That's a pretty easy sell for Morey telling Melo that with Harden and Dwight they have a great chance of winning it all with him on board.

I think it might work Melo and Dwight are at points in their careers where they both want to win a ring and will do whatever needs to be done to win one.

15. zerhoe

zerhoe Member

1. New coach. Defense needs work. Karl seems the only viable option. I'd go back down the jvg path if we had to but don't think that will happen. Don't mind watching tough grind it out ball.
    2. PF - don't think there's many options here but would prefer a vet. Someone that plays D.
    3. Some tough vets. Deng comes to mind.

Do not want melo. Don't mind keeping Lin/Asik if point 1 is met. I think a better coach/staff would do wonders for team discipline and could get us over the hump.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I don't care how many times this has been said I want Jeff Van Gundy

17. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

On draft night Asik/Parsons/Tjones our pick for Al Horford and ATL pick!

Draft: Shabazz Napier/ Tyler Ennis/Rodney Hood (Duke)/ James Young Kentucky

Sign unrestricted FA Thabo from OKC to 5-8 million a season

and Dajuan Blair to shore up the front court

Howard
    Horford
    Thabo
    Harden
    Bev

Blair
    James Young
    Lin

Good mix of offense defense and shooters

oh and Billy Donovan

18. HOUSTONROCKETS5

Get rid of the coach. JVG would be an awesome replacement.

Get rid of Jeremy Lin, the guy is a turnover waiting to happen, and his contract is ridiculous.

Have Harden and Parsons work extensively on defense this summer.

Try to get something for Asik, his trade value should be on the positive side given his performance in the playoffs.

if we manage to get rid of Asik and Lin, without taking to much back, we could maybe go after Kyle Lowry this summer.

Lowry's hard nose play would be a welcomed sight to this franchise, not to mention it would move Beverly back to the bench to be that high energy guy, which he excelled at last season. Giving us a stronger bench.

19. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

everyone wants to "get rid.of asik" lol..what happens if dwight gets injured, without Asik the blazers would have swept us.

20. perfectweapons

Realistic Moves?
    Coach : Stan Van Gundy

Trade contracts of Parsons, Lin, and Asik.
    Sign Carmelo unstoppable Anthony.

If not it is imperative we sign Luol Deng! Perfect for what this team needs. Trade Lin and Parsons for more Defense and shooting.