1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What noble cause are we coming up with this time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by real_egal, Mar 6, 2013.

1. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Dallas Mavericks is no longer that championship team, and we just stomped on them a few days ago. We have all the tools and opportunities to win this game, to solidify our playoff spot, especially after Lakers' miracle come back.

It's NBA, any team can beat any one at any given night. But, was there chance for us to leave with a win? Absolutely! Lin's buzzer beater was obviously a clear alternative. Still, I am puzzled how it was taken away completely. But this is NBA, where an owner can influence how picks were called during a playoff series.

Still, even with that highway robbery, we could still have pulled off, ONLY IF our great coach hadn't done something completely unusual for a normal NBA coach. He decided to leave his starting PG and Center on the bench for the entire 4th quarter. Did they do a pi$$ poor job in the 20 some minutes they played? NO. Asik was a monster on glasses, 16 rebounds in less than 23 minutes. Lin started very well with 7 points and 3 assists in the first, not counting that robbed 3.

What is it, really? I don't get it. Is that Lin'd rather doing something totally opposite of "trying to win"? Beverly is an exciting kid, and he's absolutely a positive addition to the team. But does that mean Lin is pure negative? Or totally negligible?

Since when if backup plays solid, starter should never see the floor again? I thought starters are called starters for a reason. Beverly did a pretty good job, but he scored 0 points. I mean, how are we going to paint this as a glorified genius coach decision? Couldn't Lin and Asik help? Couldn't Lin score another 2 points?

It's not the first time, but last time it was in the name of "team win", as if Lin would have totally destroyed team chemistry and any chance of win. Before those 2012er self-claimed righteous "team only" fans act like Mother Teresa came up with all the "context" talk, please check the score board. Last time, I said it's fine to leave Beverly in the game, coz we got the win. I didn't complain in the game thread, and this is my first post tonight. I think Lin has legitimate right to speak to McHale behind closed door, to ask him what coach's plan for him is, whether he still wants him on the team. The talk of "like" is so cheap.

If I were Lin, I would be super pi$$ed, because I am sure he felt distrusted. He certainly wanted to help and certainly believed he could help. It's funny how many people are buying into the excuse that "individual should sacrifice for the collective interest" while none of them would do such thing in their own lives, rather demanding people they don't like to "sacrifice". Hypocrisy at its best. The worst part is, there is no proof whatsoever, that sacrifice has anything to do with end result. As if Lin has not tried hard to adapt and changed his natural way of playing. Now, his NOT PLAYING is the best he could do to help team? LOL.

But we lost the game, didn't we? Beverly scored 0 point, where only 2 point could have save us. Isn't that ironical? I am not interested in how McHale's mind work or whether he had any agenda, but can we agree he made a mistake in his mysterious sub pattern again? Oh I forgot, he never made a mistake, at least never admitted any.

I am just wondering, seeking help from those "right" fans, what noble cause was it this time? For the sake of team win? Which team won? For the sake of developing young players, so that another young player should just sacrifice? What exact context am I missing this time? If I don't mention Lin, only complained about Asik's not playing, would that be OK and recognized as someone who cares about team win not about Lin at all? I know, on this board, it's a crime to disagree with the coach when Lin is somewhat in the conversation.

Can those top mind readers enlighten me what visionary grand goal McHale had this time for leaving 2 of his well performing starters on the bench for the entire 4th quarter at an important away game?

BTW, according to NBA statistics, backup players normally perform much better at home vs away games, and starters are a lot more consistent therefore better in away games.

#1 real_egal, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    6 people like this.
  2. Karolik

Karolik Member

This team pisses me off. We are no long overachieving, we are underachieving. We keep losing to teams we are favored against. The kings, the bucks, the wizards and now the Mavs. This "easy" schedule is turning out not so easy huh? I seriously think the Rockets are overrated now. Prove me wrong Rockets.

Rockets better make up for this mess with some wins against teams they should lose to because this chokejob not fun to watch.

3. Jovial

Jovial Member

Simply add it into offical fire McHale thread. With this idiot, Rox is going nowhere.

4. bmd

bmd Member

Mavs just have the Rockets' number. The game a few days ago was a fluke. Rockets just started hitting every shot.

A team like the Rockets scores in 2 ways: transition and the 3 ball. When they play a young team, those young guys can run with them and it makes it harder to score in transition. If the Rockets are hitting their 3's, they can beat anybody.

So Rockets have trouble when the 3 isn't falling and when their opponents are young and can run the floor with them.

Rockets just didn't shoot well tonight, and the Mavs dealt with the transition game better forcing a half-court offense... and they weren't shooting lights out, so it was a close game.

5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I've never visited that thread because I was never into coach firing in the middle of the season. Rudy, JVG, Adelman, and now McHale, I never want them to be fired. But they are humans, and they do make mistakes. But I can't stand people find all kinds of excuses to downplay or ignore own mistakes.

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

#14 pick is way more valuable than first round exit.

7. jocar

jocar Member

He had a lineup that brought us back into the game with its defense. Everyone in chat was saying if he changes it, he should be fired. Now everyone's saying he should've pulled them out. lol.

8. nono

nono Member

Every time you think this team has turned a corner, they just fart in your face. Have now lost to Wizards, Bucks, Kings and Mavs in the past few games. We have a top 10 player on our team yet are so poor regularly. When can we expect this to change. I think if not for the tragedy that befell McHale personally, the management would have already been thinking about firing him. Let's wait and see how we do in the playoffs. I don't see us winning a series, and I'm not even expecting that from McHale. But if I see these boneheaded mistakes I want both him and Sampson gone.

9. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Don't worry, you have a 2003 join date so according to their logic, that should make you immune from the trolls and haters who want to label you a LOF :grin:

Someone also said that this year we tend to lose very close games and I think that's something that should be analyzed. Who are the players that are on the floor in the 4th during these close games?

1 person likes this.
  10. nono

nono Member

Also Morey should have at least consulted with McHale before signing Lin. It is useless signing a player to a big contract if your coach doesn't like him.

11. kanariya

kanariya Member

good read. he doesn't trust his starter and the fans don't trust him.

i dont have faith in his coaching. whenever there's a close game, i feel like we would be in the bad position.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    This.

It was just that. Robinson and Beverley both made numerous big plays down the stretch and influenced our ability to even get back into the game. If he would have taken them out and we lost you guys would be raging at 'McFail" even harder.

He's just the scapegoat right now. You all will find something wrong no matter what he does as long as we don't win. Just accept that it's the NBA and sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't.

McHale actually did a pretty decent job tonight with his substitutions. He even drew up some plays that worked well, we just missed shots (Delfino 3's, etc..) unluckily. I don't know what you guys expect from McHale :confused:

13. hbomb

hbomb Member

I completely agree real_egal, I found it frustrating to find both Asik and Lin benched in the 4th.

Beverly, is like because he has high energy and lots of hustle plays. Imo, that is great mid-game, or when we are down 10 points and need to get some stops. But when it comes to crunch time, there is no doubt Lin is the better closer and has a better IQ / court vision when it comes to TEAM plays. A better floor general and 2 points was what we needed in the last few minutes.

It was Beverly's hustle that allowed us to get back into the game, but it was also his hustle that cost us that last foul. His momentum and rash thinking caused him to close out too fast on Collison.

14. rock34

rock34 Member

he was riding the "hot hand defensively" so to speak. Beverly was smoothering those Dallas guards with his defense and T-Rob was having some good moments late in that fourth. Sometimes you are dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't.

You have every right to feel the way you do, but sometimes that just the way it is! Enjoy the ride my friend, this Rockets team has definately overachieved this season, thanks in some part to McHale.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Now that's a good strawman.

16. conquistador#11

we should have just kept gogi and given him the player option. I wanted gogi. mctalky wanted gogi. we all wanted gogi!

Then came this younger dreamy asian, with his unguardable first step that iggy nor tony allen can handle and made me forget about gogi but what good is it if the coach can't trust him? Eyeball test>democratic ball.

1 person likes this.
  17. rock34

rock34 Member

I think the loosing of close games has more to do with defensive. If we don't blow people out, defensive ability in late possesion is magnified. This is something this Rockets team is just not there yet on. I think we have to give them more time in that department. I believe they can develop into a better defensive unit. If Asik can be respectable from the free throw line, he can definately help because then he won't be a liability on the other end.

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Has ANY coach done this before? :confused:

Rest two of your starters for the entire 4th quarter? This is just ridiculous. Unless the team has a 6th man, which we don't have to come in and score at will.

You SHOULD ALWAYS play the starters to finish games. It doesn't matter how well or how hot the bench players are. Unless.......... that certain player is dropping 20pts and taking over games.

Young team like the rockets need that experience to finish close games. When you put players on the court inconsistently to finish games, how are they going to find the chemistry among each others?

When the Rockets make the playoff (which I believe they will), they will struggle with close games just because of McHale. He's going to lose his mind with how the opponent throw crazy match ups against him. Rockets' starters going to struggle in close games because they haven't done it enough.

When in doubt, PLAY YOUR GAWD DAMN STARTERS!!!!

1 person likes this.
  19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It is by no means an easy schedule , look at our up coming games. I don't know why people keep throwing that around. Its a difficult schedule with many playoff teams.

20. Rockie_rocker

Rockie_rocker Member

before Lin or after Lin, it is always Mchale, we all know this **** or at least some of us, nothing has to be debated.

If we are rebuilding, id like Mchale to stay, but we are one step(star) away from contender, Mchale has to go, for the sake of these young guys.

we are talent youngest team right now, coach is so damn important at this stage.

1 person likes this.