1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What moves that don't make sense will Morey make?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 17, 2017.

1. The Stig

The Stig Member

Bringing in a so called "chucker" who's an apparent "cancer" to every locker room he's been in. Can you blame him though?

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Welp, no sense in having the 2017 season then. Let's just all pack up and go home and give GSW the trophy.

This is really just such a silly, silly line of thought. Games are played FOR A REASON. Cavs came back from being behind the 8 ball, something no one saw coming. Upsets can happen. Teams can overachieve at the right times. Why give up before the game even starts? Just utter silliness...

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Was indeed an interesting quote.

Trades that don't make sense are almost always regarding what most consider wrong fit

1. Doesn't fit a need. Or depletes too many roles
    2. Doesn't fit a rebuild strategy or conversely a win-now mode strategy
    3. A companion reason to 2 is contract doesn't allow future flexibility. Locks you in. But I don't think Morey thinks that way.
    I'm going with #1. Morey will go for trades of beat available regardless of position. His comment is why I don't think Redick was ever about trading EGo. Sure it doesn't make sense to overload the SG position, but that's exactly in line with Morey's comments here.

So, I could totally see any trade that adds guard scorers, PGs or SGs. Wade comes to mind as an easy pickup that doesn't make sense.

This doesn't mean I agree with trying to out shoot GSW, but the converse philosophy is fear of sitting pat with something you know will lose.

D-rock likes this.
  4. jacoby

jacoby Member

There's a difference between giving up and being realistic. I'm still gonna watch this team play and I'm excited to see just how good we are, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that this team, as currently constructed, would get trounced by the Warriors. They steamrolled their way through the post-season and no team even came close. They IMPROVED this season too. Again, the only way we sniff a title is if Durant and Curry suffer fatal injuries. And it pains me to say that because I have invested years and years into this team. Blame Durant for bending over to the rival group of guys who humiliated him in the post-season the year before. He's weak-willed and the league will recover from his cowardice one day.

Until then, I will continue rooting for my guys as I have every year, but I will also not delude myself into thinking we have a shot to win a championship, even if Carmelo is traded here.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That was last year and this is a new year. Again, games are played for a reason. We don't know how close we are to GSW until we see how this team gels.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Aside from Melo. The one target I could see Morey potentially taking a risk with is DeMarcus Cousins.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  7. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

Not drafting kawhi

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Bringing back Brewer and Josh Smith. Morey lets them shoot 20 3s per game vs Warriors in the playoffs.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kawhi's expression to 20 seconds dribbling down the clock in the clutch by our best player.

None.