1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What moves could've been made in Morey's tenure?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Jan 16, 2011.

1. thefinalchapter

TWO PLAYERS MOREY COULD HAVE GOTTEN IN THE 2ND ROUND, BUT BECAUSE OF THEM NOT FITTING IN ADELMAN'S SYSTEM, THEY WERE NO USE TO US.

LOL AT MOREY TELLING THE BLAZERS TO CHOOSE JOEY DORSEY OVER DEANDRE JORDAN(The Local Houston Product)

AND JUST THIS YEAR, EVRYBODY ON THESE BOARDS WERE SCREAMING FOR HASSAN WHITESIDE, TURNS OUT HE EVEN FELL TO THE 2ND ROUND. AND HE COULD HAVE BEEN A PLAYER WE COULD HAVE DEVELOPED

IMAGINE HASSAN WHITESIDE, AND DEANDRE JORDAN WORKING WITH HAKEEM IN THE SUMMER, OR DURING THEIR SUMMER LEAGUE.

AS LONG AS WE HAVE ADELMAN AT COACH, WE WILL BE NEVER HAVE A DWIGHT HOWARD TYPE OF PLAYER.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You can say that about 28 other teams in the league not named the Lakers. I say the Lakers because supposedly he wants to go there if he loses in Orlando.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

5. DaDakota

It was before the draft, and they had shown interest in Yao....so I don't know...but they sure should have offered.

DD

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Wow that was some foresight. I have to admit I never thought Griffen's athleticism in OK would translate so well in the NBA. In hindsight I would do that deal even if Yao was not injured this year. Maybe I love Yao and barring injuries I think he could have been one of the best ever. But it looks like Blake can be one of the best ever as well.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The trade wouldn't have even gone through. Wasn't that just prior to Yao being declared out for the following season and getting surgery to restructure his left foot?

8. DaDakota

It was before they knew that Yao needed way more than just rest....it was during the time they thought it would heal on it's own.

DD

9. DaDakota

Yeah, I liked Blake Griffin a lot.....and thought at the time that trading him for Yao would be a move that they could make, and should make.....it was not a popular opinion at the time because most thought Yao would be fine.....

Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.

DD

10. durvasa

What time would that be? Do we know when the Rockets privately determined Yao's foot would need surgery?

Also, if the Rockets did shop Yao to another team in June, when could the trade "officially" go through? And wouldn't that team have his foot thoroughly checked before accepting? And even if they didn't properly check him out and we pleaded ignorance about it, how shady-looking would it be for us to dump Yao on another team for their #1 pick just before he gets his surgery?

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think Morey's problem is not about moves, instead, it is about the direction.

12. DaDakota

I don't care if we hoodwinked the Clippers and yeah they would have examined him.

The point is still the same, I would have offered Yao for the number 1 pick when he was coming out....that is the kind of high risk move to get a number 1 type of player that Morey has not been able to pull off.

He has made a lot of tertiary trades, to garner assets, but the only trade he has made for a player that has "alpha dog" potential, is TWill.

Every other trade or acquisition has been about getting a little better asset for a future deal.

I think he has done a good job, overall, as I don't think there have been any chances to trade for a superstar type of player, but the one area I think he has struggled is in the draft.

Sure, he has gotten some gems, but he has not been able to move up to get a difference maker.....Evan Turner/D. Cousins for example.....Philly was looking to trade the number 2 pick and DM said their asking price was too high.....I would like to know what that price was, wouldn't you?

Because sometimes you hold on to guys that are good players, but have no chance to be great, we have tons of good players, there is no difference in our starting lineup and our backups they are all equal......

We are average up and down the roster....and you should trade a bunch of average guys for a chance at a great one.

DD

13. showtang043

showtang043 Member

So at the time when we heard we were going to have a healthy t-mac and a healthy yao, we should've traded them? That is easy to say in hindsight since we know what happened, but realistically at the time, most poeple on the board would think that is absurd as well

14. durvasa

So he would have been examined, and the Rockets would not have been able to trade him even if they wanted to.

15. DaDakota

Don't know, I guess that depends on the diagnosis at the time.

You must have voted no.

;)

http://bbs.clutchfans.com/showpost.php?p=4638868&postcount=265

Is all you need to know about it.....20% of us knew a 7'6" guy with foot problems would not hold up.

DD

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

The draft was June 25th. Rockets announced on June 29th that Yao's injury would career-threatening and may have needed surgery.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6503064.html

A trade can take a week or more to complete. If there was a physical required, the trade could have been approved June 25th and rescinded June 29th.

For example, the Celtics trade for Garnett took about a week before all conditions(including physicals and certifications) were met.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/blog/inside-front-office.html

#76 BetterThanEver, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  17. durvasa

If I voted at all, which I don't remember, I probably would have voted yes. Did I have a post in that thread? I couldn't find one.

BTW, the news about Yao came out less than a week after that thread was created. That trade would not have happened.

18. DaDakota

The only way to tell is to look at the poll and if any of the votes are in Italics.....when you vote in a poll it is Italicized based upon how you voted.

Either way, this is EXACTLY the type of "Go for it" move that Morey has lacked.

He has failed to trade up in the draft, instead deciding to hold onto his assets rather than risk them for a higher draft pick.

I don't necessarily blame Morey for holding onto Yao, I think that was more Les' decision, but not paying for the 2nd pick in this year's draft was a mistake.....IMO....we could have gotten Cousins or Turner......and given up some of our average players to do it.

Oh well....one think I think DM is good at is learning on the job, and correcting his mistakes.

He used to talk about Height being overated, he doesn't anymore, he got Ariza and got rid of him as soon as he realized he sucked, I suspect DM will eventually take that high risk shot.....he has no choice.

DD

#78 DaDakota, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  19. durvasa

Maybe they asked for AB or Chase or Jordan.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=5342221

20. durvasa

Guess I didn't vote then ...

[​IMG]