1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What line-up/strategy should the Rockets experiment with?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kevC, Mar 21, 2017.

1. HookemHorns1250

The stat padding made me chuckle.

1) Everyone boxes out there man, only Harden is allowed to rebound. If you have to, tip the ball in the air to Harden for the rebound. If neither works, allow the other team to shoot again.

2). You're only allowed to shoot if Harden passes you the ball. If someone else is going to get the assist, you must pass it back to James.

3). Harden needs to score 40 each night. Shoot as much as it takes.

kevC likes this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

WRONG!
    Unless we bring in an old guy like Josh Smith or Scola, we probably will be playing one or more of the young guys down the stretch and maybe into the playoffs.

elmotsangtt likes this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Time for the "3's Only" shot selection game.

It deserves its own thread - I'm serious.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

ummm harden sitting. ariza out. ryno out. those are probably some good reasons some guys saw some time. 3rd seed has been pretty much locked who cares

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I say we play guys without hand injuries

DonKnock and Corrosion like this.
  6. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I like this, I think you can switch Nene or Clint for Dekker and still have your slow big lineup but you still have the spread the Rockets are used to. I think in small doses as a temp changer it could be useful especially in the playoffs when the game slows down to a half court game.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. Newlin

Newlin Member

The point is that with Dekker going out with a broken hand, there is a good chance that at least one of our young players will be getting some minutes in the playoffs. THIS is why it's a good idea to get these young players a little playing time during the season. YOU said you didn't expect any young players to see action in the playoffs, so why give them minutes in the regular season. Well, now we are seeing why.

Dekker breaking his hand was unfortunate, but at least we will have a couple of weeks to try and figure out what changes need to be made in the rotation. Troy Williams looked good last night and Wiltjer looked lost. Let's hope that Anderson's ankle injury isn't worse than has been reported, because we will need him.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

well you would think with players being out it would be understood that the young players would be forced to play. I guess not. They aren't playing to prepare themselves for the playoffs. They're playing because there isn't any other choice. There isn't going to be much change in the rotation. the primary 3 off the bench are going to get the big bulk of minutes. You're talking about a 9th man here who may spell a few minutes in certain spots.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

You don't seem to understand. Look back at this thread. You were arguing that there was no need to play any of the young players because they "won't be seeing any playing time in the playoffs". I made the argument that we were pretty thin at SF and PF, and that it would be wise to give the young players some playing time just in case some of our rotation players got injured.

Dekker is now out, and we are hoping that Anderson comes back before the playoffs begin. Losing two rotation players with five games left in the regular season is not good. Last night we had Harrell playing PF and shooting threes. The Rockets now have no choice but to experiment with new players and rotations. Too bad the Rockets waited until the last two weeks of the season to see what some of these young players can do.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

i understand perfectly fine. I guess it needs to be repeated again.well you would think with players being out it would be understood that the young players would be forced to play. I guess not. They aren't playing to prepare themselves for the playoffs. They're playing because there isn't any other choice. The rockets played basically a college bball team last night. don't take what was seen last night that seriously. And btw this isn't even an issue worth going back and forth about especially when were talking about the last guys on the bench and the very end of the reg season. Next

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm not even talking about last nights game. What I was arguing in this thread a few days ago is that it would be wise to experiment a little bit with some of the young players just in case we had an injury at the SF or PF position. You argued that it would be a waste of time because the young players "won't be seeing any playing time in the playoffs".

It now appears to me that with Dekker out, that there is a real possibility that at least one young player could be in the rotation in the playoffs. If Anderson doesn't make it back then maybe more young players will see time.

So, I think it is now easy to see why earlier in this thread I was hoping to see some of the young guys get a few minutes before the playoffs started.

#31 Newlin, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

A few days ago and fast forward to today nothing has changed besides guys out for rest/personal reasons. ariza will be back, harden will be back,and ryno will be back. young players won't be seeing any playing time in the playoffs. nothing has changed. You're trying to make yourself feel right when there really isn't anything to be right about here. And quite frankly for something that has minimal impact on future playoff implications. It's just your own personal opinion on this "experiment" that realistically makes little sense.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Harrell logged a lot of minutes earlier in the season, and Williams has been here since....March.

Other than Wiltjer who are you actually talking about? Chinanu Onuaku?

14. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Bev
    Harden
    Arizona
    Anderson
    Capella

Nene
    Williams Lou
    Gordon

Situational:Troy Williams

This should be our playoff rotation

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Harrell hasn't played at PF. Troy Williams hasn't played. Wiltjer has played only garbage minutes. Onuaku has played very little. A week or two ago, since we had basically wrapped up the third seed, I proposed that getting these players a few minutes in the rotation would be a good idea. Just in case someone in the rotation had an injury. what could it hurt, and maybe it help if we had to throw them into action during the playoffs.

Some people didn't agree with me and thought it would be a waste of time playing the young guys.

16. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

G Harden Lou
    G Bev Gordon
    SF Ariza Troy
    PF Ryno Harden may assist to play vs green by pinching his dick and give some time for Troy. Troy has better defence than lou.
    C Capela Nene Harrel 3 guys must play every matches rather than 2. More attack methods and have more energy to grab rebounds.

This is my playoff suggestion.

DonKnock likes this.
  17. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Nothing but Bobby Brown to Kyle Wiltjer PnR lobs only for the remainder of the season. I think this is obvious.

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I just want a guard that can throw a decent lob to Harrell if Harden's not playing.

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Get Harrell some play time. Plug him in at the small ball 5 position.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

And here we are. It sure would have been nice if Onuaku and some of the other young guys could have played the last couple of weeks of the regular season just to get their feet wet. Maybe MDA will go with a seven man rotation? Or maybe Dekker will get some minutes. But, it would have been nice if our young guys could have played in the rotation during those meaningless games at the end of the season. What if we have another injury? It seems we didn't prepare as well as we could have.