1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What kind of offensive scheme does Steve need to excel?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by subtomic, Feb 4, 2004.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Great thread. ANd great posts.

Steve Francis needs to be on a team in the Eastern Conference, not because of any lack of talent, but because of his lack of size.

He should start at the 2.

That team would need an Eric Snow-type point guard. Good defense and passing and size.

The center or the power forward should have a good mid-range game to open the lane for Steve's drives. The other big man should be strong, a great offensive rebounder who protects Steve's back or set bruising picks and the like.

The small forward should be a good outside jump shooter, not needing to create off the dribble.

Sorry if I repeated many points. If I look at Haven's post, he probably listed all these things.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Stevie's strenghts: slashing to the hoop and rebounding.

So it seems like running the pick and roll and using Yao as a passer from the high post would be perfect. But it seems like when the first option is defensed the Rocs just stop moving .
    If we kept up the motion and set some screens Yao would eventually find someone open with a lane to the hoop. This would also keep the opposing C away from the basket allowing our guards to use their rebounding advantage.

But still there is no stronger play than setting your center at the low left on the lane allowing him to make a right handed move in to the hoop, But your shooters have to make the other team pay when they double team to stop it. When we are hot, like against NY, we can't be stopped but it seems like our shooting percentage is too low (of course I'll check the stats after I write)

Lastly, I can't understand why our running game seems so pitiful.
    Yao should get tons of defensive rebounds allowing Stevie and Cat to outrun opponents with their athletic ability, but it just never seems to get going or covert when they do get running.
    (Feerruusstratin)

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Our guards don't know how to push the ball...I mean really push the ball, full speed, full throttle, but under control. It doesn't matter who gets rebounds. JKidd gets plent of boards that lead to fast breaks himself.

4. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steve should run the backdoor out of the triangle. Dribble up, dump it to the 3, the 3 drops it to the big man, the big man posts and hits Steve cutting back door, or backing up for a j.
    He can use his strengths.

He should not dribble penetrate. It makes him look dumb. Well, maybe it just exposes him. Give him the cutting lane or the big pick, and he should use that jumping and dribbling skill to score in bunches.

5. notafaker

notafaker Member

LET STEVE RUN! Remember he excelled every year except this year. Hes not running fast breaks cause our coach is not letting him.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

:confused:

Did we run fast breaks last year? You have to pass to run a true fast break. All's I've ever seen is him dribbling it up.

7. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

8. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I have and the funny thing is...there is only one AI (sorry Andy Irons, but the Answer took your initials before you won fame on a liquid stage).

9. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

LOL at your signature Overrated...

Playing basketball on rollerblades is just begging to get you some sprained or broken ankles when you land the wrong way after jumping. :rolleyes: