1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    WEST FINALS GAME 4 -- can the TWolves avoid being swept? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of Christian are you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RichRocket, Nov 5, 2001.

?

What kind of Christian are you?

1. No kind

41 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. Born Again

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Cultural Christian

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Protestant

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Catholic

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

You guys are crazy to be up posting this late! I've got a 3-week old with gas and a 2 YO with the fidgets. I WANT to go to bed!

<b>RocketKid</b>: Yeah, I'm sure I left out all kinds. The polling form only allows 10 choices so I cut that one in half. BTW, isn't non-denominational still considered Protestant?

<b>achebe</b>: I believe that born-agains do cut across all denominations, although I think you find more of them in certain denominations and including the non-denominational churches. They particularly are comprised of many in the Born Again movement, I do believe.

Being Born Again refers to a Spiritual Birth beyond a Human Birth which bridges the separation from God.

These choices are limiting, I know. I also know of no way around it.

<b>Otto</b>: Not offended? You called it "repulsive." Why vulgar? Isn't it normal to want to talk about your faith? And if you're not religious- or spiritual-minded isn't it normal to want to question those who are? Just dialogue, baby!

2. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Why am I not surprised that the "No Kinds" have a huge lead... 17 to 4 over the Protestants. Is this softball or reckoning?

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry again. Repulsive wasn't the correct word, but vulgar definately was, in the historical sense.

I only mean it in the sense that when you prattle on about Methodist, Catholic, blah, blah, blah you take the pure holiness that is god and sort of rub him down and around through the messiness that is man. It seems disrespectful to me.

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I know what you mean, but I didn't think I was "prattling." I was taking an unscientific poll among the BBS visitors to see how they stack up against the wider world.

By the way, what in the hell is that reference to "suicide" doing in your signature? Talk about the messiness of man!

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I guess by default according to your definition I'm Protestant, even though The Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-Day Saints has nothing to do with Reformation, or Martin Luther, etc...

;)

I don't think this poll is very telling, if you don't mind me saying...

:D

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

haven, refresh my memory. What does the noble man do that the religious man in the Western world does not?

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Rich -- Christ said "you must be born again." (John 3:7) I don't think "born again" is a compartment of Christianity, but rather, a necessary aspect. So while I'd certainly say I'm born again and that I must be born again, I believe that would also be in line with the traditions of the reformed faith making me a Protestant, by definition.

But please don't take the born again label and ascribe it to only one segment of Christianity. To me that's like saying, "are you Protestant OR do you accept Christ as your savior?"

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Aren't they opposites? Greeks = boldness, passion, war, drama. Christians = meek, pious, humble.

9. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

<b>MadMax</b>: Many, I'm afraid, are Born Again in an intellectual way rather than a spiritual way. It is the essence, not a compartment, of the Christian faith. Are you trying to say that every man, woman, and child that warms a pew on any given Sunday is Born Again?

The question in the poll is about how people see themselves within the framework of limited choices about their religious stance towards Christianity. It's not the most scientific poll ever taken but that doesn't make it totally unreliable.

The startling number of people who count themselves as "No Kind" of Christian is very startling in and of itself to me! That choice in the poll seems completely unambiguous.

21 No Kinds to 12 Some Kind of Christian now....

#29 RichRocket, Nov 6, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2001
  10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

RichRocket-By the time stamps on your posts it looks like the kids kept you up late and got you up early :D

I would quantify myself as a Christian although my denomination is Pentacostal.

11. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Kids.... what can I say. You have to love them more than sleep itself!

Climbed into bed at 11 PM. Listened to our 3 WO cry unti 1 AM. Got up with her; got her to sleep about 2:15 AM.

Came to check the BBS.

2YO had nightmare; woke up screaming "Bug!" Got her back to sleep... twice.

Finally turned in myself at 3:45 and got up around 7 or so, I think.

12. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one knows the Father but by Me."

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.
    Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith; and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God; not by works, so that no one can boast."

I am a sinner who wanted to know God. Through the Bible, I realized I could never know a God who is holy because my sin seperated me from Him. There was nothing I could do myself.

God made a way for me to know Him. He knew that the penalty for any sin is death. That's why He sent His beloved Son, who is another aspect of God, to live a perfect life as one of us, tell mankind of God's plan, and pay the penalty of everyone's sins by giving up His own life. It was a perfect plan to bypass the sin barrier, keep His holiness intact, and communicate with those who could not understand the purity of His words.

I gave my life to Him. In effect, I asked that Jesus Christ's perfect life would represent my life when it was time for God to judge me.
    My sinful life would never have been enough. I deserved death, but found new life because of Jesus. I was born again.

I am not a Christian because I attend a church, or have done many good deeds. I am a Christian because I accepted Jesus Christ's free gift of salvation. I live my life in the way Christ has taught me to live as put forth by His holy Word, the Bible. I protest anyone's claims to be a Christian who does not live by the words of Christ.

I know all this is true because I am a living testimony. I am proof.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Catholic

14. Achebe

HayesStreet, haven,

I wasn't concerned w/ the history of Nietzschean thought, or the psychology of being a Greek or being 'Christian', I was hinting to people afraid of Neitzsche b/c of his famous diatribes this his noble man still maintained "don't eat your friends" beliefs. Being from the rather conservative South, that was an epiphany as a child. I hope that clarifies the point that I was trying to make (I'd rewrite my post but I'll just ask that you reread it in that light).

ps, something seems funny about your answer bobrek, after reading mr_gootan's essay. I feel like I'm supposed to do the drum snare bit for you.

btw RR, I assume there are some really nice people in that 'no kind' lot. Other than the Satanic atheists such as myself, I assume that you'll feel safe w/ knowing that there are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc. in that lot.

#34 Achebe, Nov 6, 2001
  15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

catholic.

16. haven

haven Member

Achebe:

I don't really think so. The essence of Nietzsche's overman is his ability to forge his own, independent systems.

Hannibal Lecter, quite frankly, is the Nietzschean overman. So much for not "eating" your fellow man ;).

Not that Lecter is the only possible manisfestation of the Nietzschean overman. But rather, represents one possible attempt to "go under." Other figures in literature have been called the Nietzschean overman, like Fitzwilliam Darcy in Pride & Prejudice and the main male character in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

Nietzsche argued that to be noble was to be beautiful, powerful, and true to one's own ethos. Any sort of servility, humility, or even pity is contemptible.

In Thus Spake Zarathustra, Zarathustra asserts that the hardest part of "going under" is abandoning your love of man. He goes to the Isles of the Blessed, only to return out of his love for humanity. While Nietzsche is ambivalent about this, the ending makes it apparent that love of man manifested through compassion is a hindrance, if not a flaw. Love is alright... empathy is alright... compassion and pity are not.

Although remember, the book is... umm... as vague as Revelations, so I could be interpreting it less than accurately.

#36 haven, Nov 6, 2001
  17. Achebe

Oh fine, prove me wrong with all of those "facts". pthththththt... Okay, so much for the History of Western Philosophy... hmmm... shall we discuss Environmental Ethics? LOL. I only paid a glance to the continent, and now I've been called on it.

BTW, are people reregistering just to vote 'no' over and over again??? :D

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

mrgootan -- exactly! great post!!

Rich -- your poll is unreliable in this way... i didn't vote in it! am i born again?? absolutely! am i protestant?? absolutely!! so which one do i say i'm not!?? are all protestants "born again"?? depends on your definition of protestant...do you mean one who actually believes in the reformed faith?? then, absolutely. but i imagine there are people out there who would say, "i'm born again!" but we might disagree.

19. haven

haven Member

So you're one of those nasty buggers who likes analytic philosophy? Ugh! ;)

20. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

<b>MadMax</b>: Any poll is only a sample. Admittedly, the choices are limiting.

<b>achebe</b>: By "No Kind," I reallly meant people who had rejected Christianity -- not a catch-all category for Muslims, Hindus, Jews, et al.

At this point, though, by a 30-20 margin only 40% of the respondents are some kind of Christian. Hey, polling is a tough science afterall!