1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Josh Smith taught me about James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sounds more like something a he would say about a she.

2. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Let's not forget Rockets were doing well BEFORE JSmoove joined mid season last year.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We had a healthy D-Mo that was basically our J-Smoove before J-Smoove got here.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Yeh... I don't know if I buy the OPs rationale...
    I think its more harden knows Josh will jump in his mess with two feet if he doesn't do what he's supposed to do - including defense...
    Think about, who on this team would call him out?
    D12 ain't gonna do it - he's gotten too much bad press for not being a 'team player' and having altercations - and he still has another contract to sign - plus he's very non confrontational by nature (see SVG - lol)
    Terry? maybe kinda... but as he was looking to get moved so he could go back to Dallas... may figure why open that can of worms if he's viewing himself as a short timer...
    Bev aint gonna step at him - after floating around, he's just happen to have a deal in the NBA...
    Ariza? Brewer? dont really strike me as confrontational guys..

Bottom line, Josh Smith or Ron Artest are just what the doctor ordered - somebody willing to get confrontational and bring some accountability to the court!

Read the sig... its been there for awhile - lol ;)

5. ibm

ibm Member

sounds logical, but this josh-can-be-confrontational thing is still all speculations. we dont know for sure what goes on in that locker room behind the closed doors.

but harden does seem genuinely excited when josh smith makes great plays - sth. we havent seen for quite some time.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Also don't forget DMOs 5 minutes of total playoff experience compared to J-Smoove's 2,270 minutes give or take. An experienced veteran big was needed and thank god Smith was available.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Harden is not our leader. Josh Smith is.

8. Drogba

Drogba Member

:rolleyes:

Harden's the clear alpha on the team.

9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Does Doc trading Smith back to us draw comparisons to Sam Presti trading Harden to us (filling a position of need for an inter-conference rival)? I think it does. As horrible as Presti's trade was for the Thunder, at least they got some seemingly valuable pieces back. If Smoove torches the Clips in the playoffs again; you have to rank this as an all-time moronic decision.

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Although I want to agree with this, let's not get carried away.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

This is probably the most logical explanation for why the trade happened (save the veto thing......pretty sure that doesn't apply in this case). Doc promised Smith a certain role. Smith left more money on the table to take that role, and Doc didn't deliver. The Clippers will say it was to save taxes, but in reality it was to save face.

Look at Phoenix....Dragic and Morris have destroyed the Sun's reputation around the league, to the point where I don't think any top flight free agents would consider them. If the same thing came out from Josh about the Clippers, it could have easily alienated other free agents, which would in turn compromise LACs ability to keep Griffin and CP3.

Maintaining a good relationship with the players is VERY important in this league. That doesn't mean you give in to demands, but if you made a public promise (like LAC did with Smoove), you better keep it.

12. thekad

thekad Member

Is this a serious post? It can't be, right?

13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

what it comes down to is this.. Harden plays better when he's happy and last night, when Josh Smith is making plays, Harden is super happy.

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

here's an article from CBS from 11/22/15:

After giving up a 23-point lead in a loss to the Golden State Warriors on Thursday, the Los Angeles Clippers allowed the Toronto Raptors to build a 29-point lead on Sunday and ended up losing 91-80. The Clippers have now lost seven of their last nine games and are below .500 with a record of 6-7.

On top of all the losing, according to Dan Woike of the Orange County Register, Josh Smith got into a profanity-laced argument with an unspecified Clippers coach after Sunday's loss.

From Woike:

Josh Smith and an unspecified Clipper coach were involved in a frustration-fueled argument following the Clippers' 91-80 loss to Toronto Sunday.

Profanities and yelling made their way through the cement walls separating the Clipper locker room from an adjacent room where the media was waiting to speak to head coach Doc Rivers.

Rivers and Clipper players didn't offer details on the incident.

“It's (like any) locker room after you lose and play like that. Guys are upset,” Rivers said. “That's about it.”

Blake Griffin, who was held to a season-low 9 points, said the team's unhappiness is to be expected considering how the Clippers have been playing.

“It's pretty frustrating. We've dropped three in a row. I think it's pretty normal to be frustrated. But, we can't let that frustration affect us negatively moving forward,” Blake Griffin said. “I think we need to do a good job of sitting down, being real and understanding what the real problems are moving forward.

“But, frustration is to be expected.”

Smith has struggled all season and had another sub-par game on Sunday. Playing close to 15 minutes, Smith finished with 2 points (1-4 FG, 0-3 3PT), 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks and 1 steal. He is averaging a career-low in minutes (14.8), points (4.9), rebounds (3.8) and assists (1.3).

Smith was touted as a big addition to the Clippers in the offseason, who along with Paul Pierce and Lance Stephenson was supposed to bring some much needed depth to the bench of Los Angeles. However, like the rest of the Clippers, Smith and the rest of the bench has struggled at the start of the season.

While it is unclear what Smith and the coach were specifically arguing about, an incident like this shows that the Clippers' locker room is not a happy place right now. Which may be why Blake Griffin alluded to having a team meeting so everyone can get on the same page. Doc Rivers kind of downplayed Smith's argument but he should to listen to Griffin and make sure whatever problems the Clippers may have, get addressed sooner rather than later.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great post finsraider!

16. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

yea I've been feeling the same over here..that the Rox got weak with no backbone without Smith on it...now he's back bringing that "Piss& Vinegar" attitude this team was lacking. Now that Griffin is hurt it just adds to the stir crazy of the Clippers giving Smith back to us on sooo many levels.

17. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Very well written, although I'm not entirely sure if he just completes Harden. Completely agree that he is line Ginobili. Damn.. If the Spurs got hold of him, he would be a force to be reckoned with.

Smith can pass, hit the mid range jumper and post up. He also can hold his own against most offensive players down on the block. To me, a stretch four who can pass and defend is what we need. Not Kevin Love. Not so much Ryan Anderson.

Morey should have given him an 8 million dollar contract last season instead of 2 million. Come on, we even paid KJ without him being part of the lineup.

18. BackdoorHarden

I can't wait till Smith kills the Clippers in the playoff again.

Smith gets the Rocket's the #4 seeds and beat Clippers as the #5 seeds

Clippers fan would boil...if there were actually any Clippers fans

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

howard and jones for draymond greene and curry?

do the warriors do this trade??

20. BackdoorHarden

Hell yea, they get the Best Center in the last 10 years and a young and upcoming stretch 4. Warriors be like dumb and like stuff if they don't this trade. :cool: