1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What it boils down to...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ace, Aug 16, 2000.

1. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Are the Rockets willing to give up the $4.5 million exception?

It's obvious that Taylor likes Houston better simply because we have the slot available and basically guaranteed.

The Clippers do not want to take on another contract, which means that Seattle is not in on the contest unless they can come up with a monster deal.

I just have one question. How long would we need to keep Mo do we get him through such a sign and trade?

He's ours if we really want him...

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

2. Thanos

Thanos Member

I´m not sure that we can simply trade the exception slot for a re-signed Mo Taylor.

A deal that doesn´t have us giving up any players can be done under the rules of the CBA?

And if it CAN be done, why the hell would the Clips help Mo to get more dough?

And if it has to include a player, say drew, the Clippers would add salary, which they seem unwilling to do.

Mo will end up taking the 2.25 mil slot and we´ll save those 4.5 mil to another deal, or let it expire to have more cap next year.

------------------
    "Behold the coming of the Almighty"

3. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I would bet that Mo would be ours today if we were willing to give up the exception.

The Clippers simply don't want to take on large contracts, but they remain a business. Why not trade Mo if they can get something useful in return (like Bryce Drew)?

With that said, I think Mo would eventually sign with us if we're not willing to give up the $4.5 million. We just have the best situation for him.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

4. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

We would trade a pick and/or cash to get Taylor in a sign-and-trade, so basically LA gets a bonus pick or something Donald Sterling loves, $$$.

If I were the Rockets, I would simply send out a message to all teams that they had 24 hours to make a deal with the exception at which point if no deal was made it would be used on Taylor. Not only would it end this whole thing but it would probably net us some pretty nice offers.

------------------

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanos,

I'm not sure you quite understand all the implications of the trade exception.

If we were to sign Mo to a 1 year deal for 2.25, when he's a free agent, if we don't renounce him, he counts 2.7 million (until he signs elsewhere, resigns here, or is renounced.) against the cap. Most don't see him as a 1 year fix, so then we'd likely make a competitive offer to keep him, and attempt to keep him, PROBABLY at a higher price than 4.5 mill, making it a bad decision in the first place. So, assuming Mo remained unsigned, and unrenounced, we'd save a little less than 2.5 mill. IF Mo becomes the PF answer, Webber is useless. We can then keep that cap (which would still likely be around 4-8 million), and sign more of a bench, be a 3 way partner (and get more picks, or get a talented player for taking on extra room), or still probably be ABLE get a Jamal Mashburn if we wanted, or whatever other player emerged. Part of our cap space still must go to draft picks (and the more we have, the less of a chance we'll have to clear 12 mill for Webber, which will be tough enough as it is.)

I doubt there'll be a better offer than 4.5 mill on the table for Mo.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.