1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What ISIS Really Wants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Feb 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Where ISIS comes from would have been a more interesting angle.

http://www.newsweek.com/how-syrias-assad-helped-forge-isis-255631

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So did Assad also release the ISIS leadership in Libya from jail? Did he release the Taliban and Boko Haram from jail?

3. Northside Storm

there's a funny correlation between extremist movements and rapacious torture. This topic is about ISIS so I have kept it there. But of note on A-Q (also mentioned prominently in the article) is the fact that Ayman al-Zawahiri spent much time being tortured in an Egyptian jail. It would seem to suggest that the current "war on terror" may actually be making the situation worse.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So you are saying that the terrorists are just reacting to mistreatment, thereby absolving them from some of their responsibility?

5. Northside Storm

I am saying there are a few things we as voters and participants in an active democracy CAN control, and that we are beholden to ourselves to question and stop policies designed to fail: foreign aid for torturous regimes, policies on torture, surveillance, and civil liberties that make us weaker, not stronger, and a flippant trigger for wars that create more enemies than they kill.

Of course, underlying this sentiment is the need to guard against the creeping danger of "might makes right" in civil institutions in supposedly "civilized" lands.

All of this ties back to my original point: where ISIS comes from isn't an isolated madrasa hidden away in isolation. It is complicated by the particularities of power, and the punishment that needs to be accorded to maintain it.

To me that would have been a much more interesting angle than this one because it would focus more on solutions that haven't been tried rather than prescriptions that have.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You didn't answer my question.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Found this article while on vacation. Wish that someone with a better reputation had posted it, because a lot of people will probably ignore it due to the OP, but I urge everyone to read it in full. Very important stuff and great work by the author.

8. Northside Storm

You asked a boring and predictable question that had nothing to do with my original point. You focused on attributing blame rather than contributing solutions.

Of course I didn't answer your question. I clarified my position because your question led me to believe you didn't understand what I was arguing (so you are saying?---no I am not)--so I sought to make very clear what my point was.

You haven't responded to any of my points.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You still haven't answered a very simple question. Stop being evasive and admit you are taking the terrorists' side to a degree.

YOU were the one assigning blame - as always, away from the terrorists.

#129 AroundTheWorld, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  10. Northside Storm

LOL

It's come to this. how droll.

Nothing justifies reprehensible violence, especially systematic state-sanctioned violence. This same principle should be applied even more to "civilized" nations than bands of rogues, terrorists, whatever you want to call people the state is currently warring against: extremist Muslims, or cyber-democracy activists alike.

AGAIN, NOTHING JUSTIFIES BRUTAL, DISPROPORTIONATE VIOLENCE. whether it is committed against a "terrorist". whether it is committed by a "terrorist".

ISIS, A-Q and all of those groups committing violence rather than thinking of non-violent solutions are reprehensible. So is the Assad regime. So are a lot of governments who condone, aid, and support torturers.

Now answer my points.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You still haven't answered mine.

12. Northside Storm

I believe I have.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So you are saying that terrorists and those who fight against terrorists are morally equal?

Let me ask you something:

If a key figure of the Nazi regime who had proprietary information, which to find out would have saved millions of lives, was fake tortured (e.g. waterboarded) and thereby millions of lives would be saved - would you still be sitting on your high horse and saying those who got the information and the Nazi are morally equal?

I'm not advocating torture. I am just pointing out that from your mom's basement somewhere in Canada, it's easy to play holier-than-thou.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Iraq">#Iraq</a> | New <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#IS">#IS</a> video shows 21 peshmerga hostages with IS fighters some of them Kurds in <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Kirkuk">#Kirkuk</a>. <a href="http://t.co/PbVPhyokHa" title="http://twitter.com/zaidbenjamin/status/569279894833774592/photo/1" data-extended="[&quot;http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-Z9Bn6CQAA7Hw8.png&quot;,&quot;http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-Z9CXDCAAAelnQ.png&quot;,&quot;http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-Z9DAZCYAA337r.png&quot;,&quot;http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-Z9CNhCUAAMwEB.png&quot;]">pic.twitter.com/PbVPhyokHa</a></p>&mdash; Zaid Benjamin (@zaidbenjamin) <a href="https://twitter.com/zaidbenjamin/status/569279894833774592" data-datetime="2015-02-21T23:37:58+00:00">February 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Northside Storm

The word you're looking for is equivalent, and no, I think states should be held to higher standards than groups of rogues.

I'm not even going to address your story because it's deliberately constructed to be ridiculous and it's flawed because it assumes torture would be the best way to obtain this information, something contested numerous times.

I don't have to play holier-than-thou when others have already. Have you ever read Title 18 of the United States Code with regards to torture and war crimes?

To get you back on topic:

Thanks for proving me right. :)

Now:

#135 Northside Storm, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Stop quoting your own drivel.

Your attempts to portray ISIS as a mere reaction to wrongdoings by others are transparent and laughable.

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I don't ever get political, but decided to read the article. Can't wait til this scum is eliminated.

18. Northside Storm

You still haven't responded to my points.

19. Buck Turgidson

20. Remii

Remii Member

Are they really a threat to civilization. Do you really think they are capable of accomplishing their goals against the modernized western world...