1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What ISIS Really Wants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Feb 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Our technology and man power is limited.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm sure it's also costs a lot of money for each guided (or unguided) missile. Have to be somewhat selective in the target.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's more than their's.
    They are parading in toyota trucks for God's sake

4. tinman

Supporting Member

I think the us has the resources to blow up the world 5 times over

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm more interested in what we have done (or plan to do), if any, to fight their propaganda. They basically get world wide free press today due to their way over the top craziness actions and activities that get reported widely each time they do something.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, but than none of us will be around to witness that nuclear fallout.

I'm going to take a wide guess - it costs $1M-$5M for each guided missile.

It costs more to keep the sky operational per day.

We have limited jets, we have limited unmanned drone, we have limited people flying drones (literally we can't hire fast enough to keep pace with need is what I read recently).

We can't cover every single square feet of lands over there and missile away at a second trigger. Just not possible... today.

7. rage

rage Member

I am not sure if you are capable to understand what you wrote.

There are 2 truths, one or both maybe partial:
    1) There are people who become extremists regardless of economic circumstances
    2) Economic circumstances are a contributing factor to some people becoming extremists.

Your conclusion:
    #2 should not be told because it clouds the issues. Only #1 is the absolute truth and it should be used to explain everything.

1 person likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

We need to design autonomous artificial intelligence machines that can do the work for us. It would save lives and money.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep that article is scary.

DD

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Until it decided to go rogue :)

But I'm quite sure we are, from tiny flying machine to large bomber.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I also like the idea from aliens where they find are trying to harvest an alien species as a weapon

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is an interesting article and important article and it was actually pointed out to me by a Muslim friend before this thread.

It is amazing when religious nuts want to go back to the Middle Ages or the Koran or Old Testament of the Bible and take and live everything literally.

I agree with the author and Desi that it sort of like the Jones Town or Koresh cults, if everything the article says is true and it does seem convincing.

Of course it still begs the question as to why the individuals choose to be in this cultish form of Islam. I think this gets into the policies of the West including wholesale support for Saudi Arabia and even Israel which has profoundly destabllized the Arab world since its inception.

ISIS has by other accounts many ex Bathists in the leadership who were not religious previously involved. Why are they now involved or does the author for instance think that they have suddenly been converted to this medieval cult form of Islam?

Nonetheless it is important to know their form of theology in order to combat them as long as it is not conjoined with the typical and stupidly unhelpful simple: "they hate us for our freedom" and our foreign, economic and political policies have nothing to do with this abomination of a theology arising at this time in history..

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I realize religious customs in the middle east forbid the eating of pork probably because someone got sick back then. Now it's a stupid custom in my opinion.
    Every other region eats pork.
    No one ever questions this custom.
    Human beings aren't that smart because religion screws up their logic

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am very sure that I am capable to understand what I wrote. In your case, I am not so sure.

Actually, I am sure that you did not understand what I wrote. What I am saying is that too many people willfully only take "economic circumstances" as the absolute truth and completely ignore #1 - even if they (should) know better, because it doesn't fit their own ideological leanings.

What you described as my conclusion is obviously not my conclusion, why else would I have said that #2 is a contributing factor.

Your reading comprehension is as terrible as your attempts at condescension. Fail on both counts.

15. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. rage

rage Member

You fail again.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Correct. Sing it like the Bee Gees.

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you need to reread the article.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

so is colonialism and religious persecution

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Please explain why many Baathists have joined this nutty religiously motivated movement?

If just for a thought experiment can you try to get beyond: "Israel , Saudi, US policies have nothing to do with it. They're Muslims;nuff said".