1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is your Realistic Target for a taxpayer MLE free agent this offseason.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, May 28, 2019.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Corey Joseph or
    TJ McConnell

Would be nice.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could be another low risk Bruno reclamation project. Thicc, long and athletic.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Can Lucas fix RHJ's shot? If so he'd be my pick. Super versatile on D, too bad hes not 6'9 instead of 6'7.

Run and dunk Center in SF body. But love his work ethic and hustle. Would not bet against him.

Vivi and matchesmalone like this.
  4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Kornet fits what would like from a stretch 4 IMHO

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Kornet would be very nice for the minimum. He fits the system. He didn't look bad last year defensively. Hopefully Morey will go after a few gun slingers to fill out the roster. I'm probably in the minority here but I like this kid.

jch1911 and smoothie like this.
  7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yea I saw that list too. I think we have a better chance at jimmy butler than some of these guys lol. I'll tell you why-

1. Danny Green would be by #1 guy for the NTMLE but the raptors will throw a larger offer at him regardless of what Kawhi does. he's out of our price range.

2. the blazers see Aminu as a top 4 guy on their team (their tucker), and are planning to offer at least a NTMLE level offer if not more.

3. Jordan is in the running for half-max offers from teams like the lakers, nets, kings, etc. he would only consider a NTMLE offer to come here if we get jimmy butler and are forming a superteam but then we wouldn't be able to afford the full NTMLE, just the TMLE under the hard cap. he won't under any stretch of the imagination give up nearly $10M/yr just to come here.

4. Brook Lopez will get at least NTMLE to stay with the bucks and will only be tempted to leave for a more lucrative offer.

that leaves two potential targets, lamb, and looney. lamb is being paid NTMLE money now and could demand that or more, but may also have to settle for that from many teams. if we don't land butler I'd offer him the full NTMLE and hope he doesn't get a higher offer from a team with cap space who strikes out on stars (kings, suns, Knicks, etc...). If we get jimmy we can't afford lamb, and wouldn't need him. instead, we would need a center who would sign for the TMLE and that's looney.

backup options if we strike out on lamb and/or looney (remembering that the wing player would be for the NTMLE if we strike out on jimmy, and the center would be for the TMLE if we land jimmy by moving capela:

-w. Matthews
    -t.ross
    -KCP
    -w.ellington
    -d.carroll
    -d.dedmon
    -ed. Davis
    -r.holmes
    -j.mcgee

fallback options if all else fails:

-faried for the TMLE
    -rivers for the NTMLE

matchesmalone likes this.
  8. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Give me Ellington, Carroll, RHJ and Dedmon on mins with Looney and then if we bring over Jovic we could have:

PG: Paul, Jovic
    SG: Harden, Ellington
    SF: Butler, Carroll
    PF: Tucker, RHJ
    C: Looney, Dedmon

That’s not half bad

BaselineFade and BamBam like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, good question, he really needs to develolp that, he'll get an occasional 3 here and there, but he's not someone you can trust knocking those down, but yeah, he can basically do everything else, can play SF, PF and even C, can easily guard 4 spots, long and athletic, good passer and shot blocker...he's also still kinda young (24). I think he's more of a complete package than Stanley, but Stanley is a "better" shooter so, i don't really know, best thing would be to be able to sign both, but i'd be fine with one of them, whether it's Stanley or Rondae.

D-rock likes this.
  10. ilias

ilias Member

If we lose Gordon and Capela in a Butler trade, I would try to bait a veteran guard with the BAE, someone like George Hill or Darren Collison. Then a center like DJ or WCS with the MLE.

I think this year there will be lots of decent players that will be available with the vet min. Plus we have our full cash consideration for midseason trades for further rotational players. Thus, I'd prefer to keep our core and try to hit home runs with the MLE, BAE and vet mins. I'd be happy to trade for Butler if that means we only have to lose one of Gordon, Capela, PJ.

11. PWR

PWR Member

Nerlens Noel just declined his $1.9 mil player option.

Once Capela is packaged for Jimmy, offer the full MLE to Noel. Plug and play.

jamisonrocket and CXbby like this.
  12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Agreed, all of them you analysed can sign 30 million contract easily, but
    Iko has stated that it is "contender contract", the pay cut contract,
    Morey is the best gm if he can sign these free agent in the available fund.
    Give money to Rivers first.
    David West won Championships and lost 10 million a year.
    Danny Green, Jordan and Lopez won Championship here and lost 10 million a year. It's the same.

#232 BigBum, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Isn't this the obvious choice?

PWR likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its true, but very unlikely. how many times besides David west did something like that happen? taking a hometown discount is more common to help your current team build a stronger roster. taking a cut to join a stronger team is common as well. but in both cases we are talking about a few million. I can't recall another time a player who can sign for more than the MLE signed for the vet minimum like David west did.

another thing to consider is if we S&T for butler we will only be able to spend the taxpayer MLE. I don't think rivers, green, Jordan, lopez and others on this list will settle for under $6M when they will probably get offers of $12-18M. however if we miss on butler (or somehow he opts in and gets traded here) then we can afford the non-taxpayer MLE. I can see guys who get offers in the $10-15M range taking just under $10M to join a contender or play close to home.

what I found after 25 years of following the NBA, when it comes to free agents they almost always have the following priorities in this order:

1) money - a combo of contract and market size
    2) role - a combo of minutes, shots, starting, etc... to help them get paid in the future.
    3) winning - a combo of team success, joining other stars to create projected success
    4) home cooking - a combo of proximity to offseason home and relationship with players/coaches on the team

most of the time the most money wins out. if the money is even go to #2, if that's even go to #3 and so on. for most of the players we are talking about their role and winning are equal across many options. green is on a championship team, lopez on the best record in the NBA, Jordan can sign with two stars in LA or Brooklyn. Jordan being from Houston gives us a little leverage but as I said before, if he's offered 12-15M maybe he comes here for just under $10M, but if we can only offer under $6M I don't believe the #4 priority has that much pull over the #1 priority.

15. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

lmao what fantasy do you live in. Getting Carroll is expensive. Getting Dedmon or Looney (Warriors will definitely match) is expensive. Ellington???

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

@Codman

Have you heard anything about Moute? I know he was out all of last year with an injury, I wonder if he's going to be good to go this upcoming season. It sure would be great to have him back to reduce to load for Tucker if he still has something left in the tank.

D-rock likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27053873/what-warriors-do-keep-team-together

The center position is deep in this free-agent class, but one player to keep an eye on is DeAndre Jordan. As one of the league's best defenders and a close friend of Durant's, teams who have interest in Durant have interest in bringing Jordan aboard as well, including the Brooklyn Nets and Knicks, where Jordan finished last season.

But Jordan, who played nine seasons with the LA Clippers, has an interest in playing in Los Angeles again, sources said. He would potentially be a fit for the Lakers, who are expected to look to try to find a way to sign Jordan and play him alongside Anthony Davis and LeBron James.

Vivi likes this.
  18. rockets13champs

Paul/Ponds
    Harden/Matthews/Green
    Butler/House/Carroll
    Tucker/Aminu/Clark
    Deandre/ Holmes

That’s legit doable. Only concern is lack of scoring off the bench. That’s why I’d wanna pick up a collison on vets minimum maybe

Can’t wait for all Houston lineup
    Harden
    Butler
    House
    Gerald Green
    Deandre

(Harden been living here for 7-8 years now. He’s an honorary Houstonian)

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm not sure how that's legit doable, we only have 5.7M of the ta MLE and with that money we would've to sign DeAndre, Aminu, possibly House...Holmes, Matthews and Carroll might be available for the minimum (although i think Carroll and Matthews are likely to get more than that, and certainly they wouldn't come here to be the 10/11th man in the rotation), but Aminu absolutely not, and likely the same for DeAndre, House might force us to use the MLE too.

smoothie and D-rock like this.
  20. fv court

fv court Member

Sergio Llull.