1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is wrong with holliewood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Honey Bear, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You are using GOT, Breaking Bad, ect.. as good american TV? Out of a couple hundred shows, I would hope we can get a small handful that is good.

The problem with American TV is that we push out so much crap. One good show takes off, and we have a dozen knock offs or branches. American TV takes a great script, waters it down to crap to draw it out until its ran into the ground. Its pretty sad when the cast eventually gets tired of doing it.

I don't watch much TV from the UK. There are some good TV shows, but im sure they have their crap too. I think the only difference is they do not have a couple hundred TV shows.

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

3. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Yeah there are tons of great shows but those were just the ones that popped in my head. Also I do agree that American TV pushes way to much awfulness. But when you don't have cable and just pirate what you want, it helps.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You're trying too hard.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

.... I'm sorry, what?

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Are those all Sci fi shows? I've seen back to back episodes of mad men and found it boring. Great for a period piece in terms of set details and originality, but the storyline and characters were plain.

It rates poorly to downtown Abbey.

They do a very good job with the technical aspect of period pieces, but consistently make characters and storylines as plain and shallow as possible. Gangs of NY is the one exception. French cinema also has this problem because they know what sells and everyone is too numb to break the mold.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

"The Man of Steel" was decent but the whole Lois-Superman dynamic was a total joke. Lois might as well have not not even been in it and Amy Adams brought nothing to that role IMO. Can't say I blame her as she was given nothing noteworthy to work with. The kissing scene between them felt like a brother and sister kiss; total turn-off. The whole movie was missing an emotional element and campiness that made the Chris Reeves version so successful. I thought it was completely forgettable. The villain was a disaster. Who knew you could just snap his neck like that? Let's fight for hours on end and then...snap. Doh! My opinion...reboot it again.

#28 Surfguy, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Which ain't got **** on Dr. Whom and Porchwood, yo.

10. what

what Member

old guy is old

11. bigben69

bigben69 Member

It ripped off Battle Royale bad except less violence.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i was wondering if i was the only who would notice that.

13. Honey Bear

Downtown Holliewood.

Think about it. There are no global boundaries.

14. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Cry me a river. Everybody copies each other in the entertainment industry. Your b****ing won't change a thing. Get a life!

15. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Repped!

16. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Out of curiosity, why did you not like The Dark Night?

17. Honey Bear

Actually, this could trigger a change.

If simpletons like you aren't informed about what's going on, you'll continue to celebrate being behind the iron wall with no knowledge of the outside world. You're a north Korean essentially.

If I'm not mistaken, you are the same Manlet who compared Mandela's death to Paul walker. And that's exactly the kind of person studios know they can effortlessly steal money and time from. You're a puppet kid, and you're willingly allowing someone you don't know to pull the strings.

18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Out of scope but if you want to derail your own thread, go ahead son. Paul Geoge is Kobe Bryant. Manlet indeed!

19. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

No, Boardwalk Empire has teenage heartthrob Steve Buscemi playing Nucky Thompson, a underground kingpin in Atlantic City during the prohibition. Game of Thrones is fantasy with minimal fantasy during the show. Picks up later in the series. And Breaking Bad is Breaking Bad.

Also if you like The Inbetweeners you might like the show Chickens. It has Simon and Will from the Inbetweeners and it's pretty damn funny. It's set during the first World War and follows three guys that stay in their village while every other man is off fighting.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

You have to look at quality over quantity, as well. And I'm not talking about the insane amount of pilots / shows that are churned out every year.

If every show in the US, network or otherwise, had to adapt to the Luthers and the Sherlocks of the world, we'd get 3-7 episodes per season that are breakneck, no filler shows / episodes. I guarantee that shows on the verge of cancellation would fare a lot better.

There's usually 22 episodes in popular network shows - obviously, some aren't going to be as strong as others. There hasn't been a truly weak episode in Sherlock or Luther (or even seasons of BB, GoT, etc.)

I'm not sure where you're getting "dozens" of knockoffs / branches from. The only show I can think of, that does that, is the JAG / NCIS series. I guess you could argue The Vampire Diaries / The Originals, but that took a while to develop. It wasn't success in the first season = make spinoffs NAO!