1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Tmac's wingspan??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Feb 11, 2007.

1. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

Ask nate robinson about what? That if he'd rather be 7'6" or 5'6"? If you're 7'6" there is no need to jump. A midget like nate robinson can only get lucky once in a lifetime.

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Or ask all the big guys in the league that can't touch Yao's turnarounds or face up jumpers. Yao got blocked on a well-timed play, but let's not understate the advantages that he's got out there.

3. cdastros

cdastros Member

Wingspan really helps centers when it comes to shot blocking. If Yao had a longer wingspan, he could do a better job of avoiding defenders that throw their body into him. He would be able to avoid the defender while still getting his hands on the ball.

4. ucansee2020

You made it sound like Yao has a wingspan of 6'6". 7'5" wingspan is very good for a center, IMO. Yao's problem is not his wingspan but his lack of quickness.

5. cdastros

cdastros Member

Most centers over 7' have freakishly long wingspans that help them block shots. It is not that Yao is a bad shot blocker, it is that he would be a better shot blocker with a longer wingspan. Yao is quicker than guys like Shawn Bradly, Manute bol, and Mutombo but those guys were better shot blockers than Yao because of thier winspans.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Saer Sene has something like a 7'8" wingspan. I think Erick Dampier's is up there somewhere, too. Not sure what Deke's is.

7. ucansee2020

Again, 2 or 3 inches more of wingspan is not going to help Yao that much. A lot of times he just can't get to where he needs to be to block the shot. You can't do anything about his quickness, but improved technique may make him a better shot blocker.

8. cdastros

cdastros Member

Since when was Manute Bol quicker than Yao Ming, or Shawn bradly, or even his own teamate Dikembe Mutombo? Since when is 2 to 3 inches not a big deal in the nba? :confused:

All you have to do is look at the correlation between wingspan and shotblocking in the nba.

9. ucansee2020

Manute Bol and Bradley may look clumpsy, but they are not slower than Yao. Deke is definitely quicker than Yao. I am not arguing with you regarding the importance of wingspan but 7'5" wingspan is nothing to be shamed about. I fail to see why is it so important to have an extra 2 or 3 inches of wingspan in the case of Yao.

10. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Wasn't this thread about Tmac?

How come every thread leads to a Yao discussion? Just when I thought there were no more YOF's left on this board. I guess Yao's comeback is approaching:)

11. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

2 to 3 inches wouldve mattered on this dunk. i remember he just graced the ball with his finger and bryant was able to slam it home. if his hand were 3 inches higher kobe wouldve fallen flat on his face.
    [​IMG]

12. ucansee2020

3 inches higher would make his wingspan 8', I don't think that's possible.

13. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

that reminds me of kevin willis's wingspan... if you want to even call it that.

14. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Just going back to the ealier posts about Tmac.

I can't remember where I read it, but awhile back there was an article discussing KG, Tmac and TD as adidas's key endorsed players, and KG said that Tmac was really 6'9" closer to 6'10", and Tmac himself confirmed later in the article that his actual height is 6'9 3/4" with socks on or something.

And yes, his wingspan is ALMOST 7'4".

He did look like a skinny vulture with his freakishly long arms during his Raptors/Early Magic days. :p

15. Nelly

That was actually KICKS magazine, with Duncan, KG, and Tmac on the cover back in his ORL days.

16. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Huh, yea i noticed that when Tmac was in Toronto at 210 lbs, his arms looked way longer! Now at 225, his arms look bigger, but the 7'1" wingspan sounds exactly right. Anyone know Kobe's? I know Wade has a 6'11" wingspan, and Lebron has a 7'0" wingspan

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So Yao is like a T-Rex?

18. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Wingspan and standing reach don't alway correlate from one guy to the next. Some people's shoulder's are broader, some have longer arms, and shoulder height plays into standing reach as well.

In Yao's case, his hips are much wider than his shoulders, so he can't keep his butt out of foul trouble sometimes, it gets in the way of his defense. :p

19. Nelly

um 7'5 + 3 more inches equals 7'8....not 8'. And Saer Sene of the Sonics has a 7'10 wingspan and can touch the rim standing underneath it. So yeh, it's possible.

20. ucansee2020

Do your math again. Humans do have two hands and arms, you know.