1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the Rox greatest need this offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, May 10, 2008.

?

What is the Rox greatest need this offseason

1. Replace Alston with an upgrade

41 vote(s)
    19.9%
  2. Replace Battier with an upgrade

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Get a backup center

22 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Trade for an efficient scoring swingman to go with McGrady/Battier

113 vote(s)
    54.9%
  5. Trade for a quality veteran PG to split time with Alston

14 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. Nothing, just draft best available with our pick and upgrade the bench

11 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Who's the genius put Nothing as an option? Let's shoot him too. ;)

BTW, I voted 3)

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Those two trades don't even work in terms of salary.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

??????

(x 1.25) + $100,000 = Both of them work.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

There are BYC players in both deals. Throw them into the Trade Checker.

5. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

We have lost three playoffs series in a row to teams with good sized Power Forwards (Nowitzki once, Boozer twice), and a quality PF/C is not an option?

We had Yao and TMac against Dallas. We had Yao and TMac last year against Utah... both lost in game 7.

My vote is for size/muscle at the 4 or 5 position.

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

sounds like elton brand would solve that problem

if we can't get brand, diop would be a solid backup and replacement for deke

7. xWiCkeDx

xWiCkeDx Member

Firstly, we really do need a big swingman that can shoot a high percentage and be able to drive in. Then we should address our need of getting a back-up center second. I think Diop would be a solid back-up center. This off-season is going to be interesting because there's a lot of big name guys, and not a lot of teams have the money to pick them up. So some of them are going to have to take MLE's.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

There should be an option that says add versatile offense to any and every position possible. Whatever we can add that makes us a better team. I think people are too focused on a specific type of player. We don't have one of those stacked teams that is only a piece away. We could use any talent we can get.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I chose replacing Rafer with an upgrade. I think doing that, adding a legit 3rd option and acquiring a solid back up center is what we need.

A guy like Andre Miller kills two of those needs with one stone. B-Jax/Francis/Head/#25 pick for Miller? Philly would probably want Brooks or Landry but I think that's a fairly decent starting point for any trade talk. With any luck they would just buy out Francis and we could resign him for the minimum.

Miller's contract expires after this year so much like when the Hawks made the Bibby deal it's win-win either way you look at it. He would have a one year audition to prove he can function in our offense. If he plays great then we resign him. If we plays bad we have the luxury of a $10+M expiring contract to play with in February before the deadline.

Would this be enough for Andre Miller? Probably not since Miller makes Philly's offense tick. I'd be reluctant to include any of our rookies and i'd try to press swapping expirings + picks for expirings, like the deal I suggested. If this falls through i'd probably next look to Memphis and finally getting this Mike Miller deal we've been hearing about for years, done. B-Jax/Head/#25 pick for Miller? We get our 3rd option/shooter. Memphis gets their expiring contract in B-Jax, a decent shooter in Head and first-rounder.

We would still have the MLE and LLE at our disposal. We could also try to buy another second rounder like we did last year or press Memphis to include the first-rounder they got from the Lakers in the Gasol trade.

10. sook

sook Rookie

Yea dude, fersure.
    Notice how when Rafer normally knocks his shots down we win?
    Teams leave him wide open, he doesn't create all we expect for him to do is shoot a decent %, and 30%ish isn't good. Heck yes we need an upgrade

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You may not have noticed, but we picked up a couple of decent power forwards this season....

We didn't get killed by Boozer this series, but by a lack of scoring.

The scoring 2/3 option is the right one - but I don't think trade is the only option. There are players to be had via MLE

12. kaydawkuh

kaydawkuh Member

how do you guys feel about a jamaal crawford deal? I know he comes off as selfish, but he is playing in a mess that is the new york knicks. He is talented, quick, can shoot, create off the dribble, decent passer, great handles. nice size also.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i just dont see a PG upgrade happening.

any PG that's clearly better than rafer won't be on the market.

i think the most important thing the rockets CAN do is add scoring punch via wing athletes.

14. drich

drich Member

artest we could have if we are lucky and he opts out, and if not trade battier away for him. really not hurt us on the defensive side of the ball but this trade would help on the offensive side. after doing this go and make the trade to bring in mike miller by giving away head and bobby jax as expiring contracts. i personally would hate to see bobby jackson leave cause he has a great value at back up pg. hopefully francis is healthy and can take this spot of the bench. after doing this sign diop as a backup center. we would have a nice line up of this here oh yeah i would like to gerald green given another chance.

rafer,francis,brooks
    tmac,miller,green
    artest,harris,novak
    scola,landry
    yao,diop

this would be a fighting chance to win the championship

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Like I said in another thread, good pgs are at a premium, teams tend to overpay them like tall frontcourt players. And when teams get a good PG, they tend to hold onto them.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You don't need a good one, just an average one that can shoot, ala Kenny Smith.

DD

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Don't overstate Kenny Smith. Time blurs, then blinds. I wouldn't trade Good Rafer for Kenny '93-'95.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

The trades will work after June 30th.

Using Trade checker now is pointless since it hasn't been updated for next season's salaries.

I used next season's salaries from Hoopshype.

19. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

We've gotta upgrade the 2-3 spots. We need size and athleticism all over the floor, but it most noticeable here. This is also the spot I think we can fill the easiest. Solid points and bigs are hard to come by. A good 2/3 should be easier to find (I hope).

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

pffftt, Kenny Smith was our Rafer back then for different reasons, we didn't have the internet back then but he was our whipping boy back then and the constant object of whining from callers to the radio stations on the rockets.

And everything Rafer was good at was what Kenny sucked, mainly his lack of defense and getting owned by other pgs, not just good ones, but he made average pgs look like allstars.

that's why I get a little peeved when tinman slobs kenny's knob, he wasn't all that great, yet tinman puts him on the same pedestal as Dream.