1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the highest pick in this draft that the Rockets could trade Asik for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 16, 2014.

?

What is the highest pick in this draft that the Rockets could trade Asik for?

1. #9 or #10

36 vote(s)
    22.0%

5 vote(s)
    3.0%

11 vote(s)
    6.7%

3 vote(s)
    1.8%

15 vote(s)
    9.1%

21 vote(s)
    12.8%

12 vote(s)
    7.3%

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  9. #18 to #30

45 vote(s)
    27.4%
  10. No first rounder, second round only

13 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. basketballholic

Putting a poll up here just for kicks, you know, since it's the off season.

I still believe Asik is worth a first rounder. I am looking at the current draft board with the Sixers projecting to have pick #10 and wondering if they would possibly move that pick for Asik since they'll likely have a top 5 pick already, if indeed that #10 pick from the Pelicans stays at #10.

The Celts also have 2 picks, including #17. I think they'd probably move #17 for Asik. I'm just not sure that's a good enough pick to justify moving Asik for.

So just perusing the draft board...it appears to me that the second tier starts around pick #7 or #8. The first 6 guys (Wiggins, Embiid, Exum, Parker, Randle, and Smart) appear to be dug in. Although to me, in my opinion, I really think only the first 4 are dug in. That being Wiggins, Embiid, Exum, and Parker. I think it starts to get dicey with Randle and Smart. One or both of those guys could tumble out of the top 6. But let's assume for the moment they don't.

Now the next layer of guys is Gordon (he could rise a little or fall quite a bit), Vonleigh, McDermott, Stauskas, and a whole pile of other guys.

Right now Cleveland is sitting there at #9. Draft Express is projecting them to be taking Jusuf Nurkirk, a 7-foot 280 lb teenage behemoth from Bosnia, who looks to have some Marc Gasolish like offensive skills but also a defensive underbelly and dumb-dumb mindset more along the lines of a guy like Robert "Tractor" Traylor. In other words...huge bust potential.

If Cleveland is there at #9, could they possibly take Asik for #9??? Especially of Aaron Gordon and Dario Saric are already off the board and they are staring at this kid or Doug McDermott?

Which brings us to Philly at #10 with the Pelies pick (provided that pick doesn't vault to the top 3). Philly already has a top 6 pick locked up. If they come out of that pick with another perimeter player (Wiggins, Exum, Parker) to play alongside MCW and Noels.... is #10 a possibility for Asik straight up? I think possibly. And I definitely think #17 would be available for Asik.

What say you? We'll start the poll at #9.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Probably a 2018 second round pick with top 40 protection. And some cash considerations.

But seriousely, Asik has one bloated year left on his contract and no one who's in the lottery is going to want to trade a pick for that.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think the 14th pick if we include our 1st rounder. Asik is expiring and his cap hit is generous. Most teams with 14th pick are teams that just missed out on the playoffs so they could use Asik

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not sure. Of course, unless they are going to turn around and trade the pick, I don't know why the Rockets would make a trade for a pick. This team needs to win now, not later.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

The only downside to Asik's contract for a lottery team is how the 14.9M doesn't count fully towards their salary cap. Teams have a minimum payroll they have to spend anyway.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'd say Asik+25 for 15 which Atlanta owns.
    Or Asik + 42(from NY) for 18 which Phoenix owns.

Also of course the Rockets need to take on some contract or throw in some money to make up for the $15mil actual salary vs. the cap number.

7. basketballholic

I still can't get confirmation on advances but if what I have been told is true then we may be able to advance Asik either $4.187 million or $7.5 million by October 2. If that is true, then that changes his value quite drastically. If, for instance, we could advance him $7.5 million, then that means he would be owed $7.5 million for the balance of the season with a cap hit of $8.374 million. Now all of a sudden his contract becomes extreme value.

8. basketballholic

Atlanta and Phoenix would be 2 teams that would probably be interested in Asik. I'm not sure I'd want either of those picks unless a 3rd team (Minny or Knicks or Miami) valued them enough to do a trade for one of Love, Melo, Bosh.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think different teams are going to extremely different values on Asik as it is which makes it really really tough to gauge what he's worth in terms of draft picks.

In a vacuum, in a perfect world scenario... maybe he's worth lets say a mid first rounder in the teens.

This year however, you have a lot of interesting teams that are closer than one would think in competing to go deep in the playoffs with very valuable picks AND cap space to absorb Asik's contract, AND a need at center.

-The Cavs at 9
    -Phoenix at 14
    -The Hawks at 15

-The Cavs are over the cap this year so you'd probably have to make the trade later in the Summer if your moving him into their cap space. Taking back salary to get a deal done wouldn't really make sense for the Rockets just to get the 9th pick unless they thought they were getting the missing piece with that player.
    -The Suns are the most interesting IMO. You could do a Asik for Len & the 14th pick deal on draft night I believe or something similar to that. Of course that's assuming the Suns are thinking Len was a miss in the draft last year, and they are wanting to get rid of him
    -The Hawks are interesting at 15 as well, but they are rumored to be going after Monroe in free agency which makes me a bit suspect. On one hand they obviously are wanting a big, on the other hand, they are obviously looking to go younger, and if they can get Monroe without needing to give up a pick, why do the deal?

So IMO, its always going to be arbitrary to what the needs are of that team your trading Asik to, and what their conversations and thoughts are behind closed doors anyone can guess.

IMO- I think the more likely scenario is for Morey to move Asik (if he's feeling like he needs to create cap space) after July 1st when he can move him into a teams cap space much more easily than on draft night. Whether than involved players that were just drafted days before who knows.

10. HR Dept

When you put it like that it made I light bulb flick on. I actually can see a Lowry to Tor type trade happening for Asik and then Morey flipping that pick along with a Parsons or Jones type and Lin for Love.

11. basketballholic

Zactly.

I actually think we are more likely to be able to trade Asik for a 2015 first round pick with some sort of lottery protection rather than trade him for a pick in this year's draft.

So the idea is if we can trade Asik for, say, the #10 pick in this draft, then shouldn't we be able to trade Asik for a pick in the 2015 with say top 10 or top 12 lottery protection on it? And wouldn't that be an asset that would be preferred by a team rebuilding (Minny)?

Minnesota has done N-O-T-H-I-N-G about getting a coach this off season so far. Meanwhile, Golden State went to the playoffs, fired their coach, and then hired a replacement and Detroit already got their man as well. Minnesota is just sitting there doing nothing. I think there's a reason for that. I think they are weighing a rebuild. I think they already know Love is leaving them and they are waiting for the draft lottery and draft this year so they can formulate trade offers.

If we could trade Asik for that 2015 style pick........that would give us #25, plus 2 picks in 2015 plus another pick in 2017............just say'n.

12. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

if Charlotte get the Detroit pick is another posibility

13. HR Dept

Another point of relevance would be finding out where the trade exceptions are. Who has them? What picks do they own? And what do they need to use them?

14. basketballholic

Hmmmmmmmm. Forgot about that one. Yes, I could see that. Asik in tandem with Big Al. Nice offense/defense contrast.

I actually like the thought of that...especially if we could flip that pick plus our own plus future picks for Love and also get Charlotte to hand over Brendan Haywood's contract.

****Just a FYI. Brendan Haywood may be washed up as a player...I don't know. But if we could acquire his contract while acquiring our 3rd superstar, his contract would give us tremendous trade flexibility next off season. Haywood has a non-guaranteed $10.552 million salary for 2015 that doesn't become guaranteed until August 1, 2015. And who knows what he's got left in the tank. He was a defensive dynamo a few short years ago. He may be able to adequately fill the void behind Dwight. Guys, Haywood is a guy with the kind of contract that Morey would love to have on the books if we had our 3rd superstar in place.

15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

atlanta needs a center
    the other team don't need one
    but i don't think they will
    everyone is hoping someone will drop
    i don't even think boston will trade their #17 for asik
    maybe if their prospects are gone

16. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Don't see anyone wanting Asik @ $15 mil for a one season rental. He's got poor offensive skills and isn't a "game altering" rim protector like Howard, Ibaka or even Sanders.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They get the pick if it is #9 or lower, right?
    Right now it's #8. So they get the pick if someone #9 or lower pops into the lottery, pushing Detroit's pick down, right?

I think Charlotte is a good option. They really want to win, and Al Jefferson still isn't a great defender - though being on a better pace/defensive team helped.

It's not the best best fit, but to the extent Jefferson has a little more of a face-up game then Dwight, is more of a true PF than center as compared to Dwight, etc. it could work.

18. Asian Sensation

All I know is if we trade Asik we better get a good big man (PF-C) back in return that can back up Dwight. If we don't get one back in return we better be getting someone like (Rondo) and have a good plan B to sign someone through free agency or another trade lined up.

I don't trust Dwight manning the 5 spot by himself. As good as he is.... he's still a liability IMO. If he goes down due to injury we're screwed, he's prone to picking up at least 1 or 2 stupid fouls early in the game and often finds himself in foul trouble in crunch time, he hasn't played a full season in four years and he's getting older, he's always had a good back-up playing behind him (Asik this year and Gortat in the past) the one year he didn't have a good back up supporting him it turned out disastrous for them (Lakers).

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

We're talking about a team completely taking on Omer Asik's contract with pure cap room and giving up a pick?

There's a big difference between that and a team giving up an equivalent contract to match Asik's.

20. basketballholic

That's part of the equation here. A team trading for Asik would be out $15 million for one season provided we didn't include cash or we didn't advance Asik salary. However the other side of the coin is a team could be out the same amount of money over 3 to 4 years for basically a crap shoot draft pick.

Asik is a big man. He's a center. Not only that but he's a dominant defensive presence in a league where dominant post defense is a staple of great teams and it is very difficult to find those guys. On the other hand, the draft is s total crap shoot and becomes an even more dicey crap shoot one you get out of the first 6 picks.

So you can consider it from that perspective. And you can consider it from the perspective of taking back expiring salary of either trash players or perhaps decent to good players.

For instance, my personal feeling concerning Asik's value is that he is worth Paul Millsap plus Atlanta' s pick in the teens. That would be fair value to me. Millsap may be the better overall player on both ends of the court but Asik is an elite defensive and rebounding presence in the paint and Asik is the much rarer talent to find and acquire.

Now if you're talking about taking back a trash expiring context...... like Kris Humphries re-signed for $24 million/2 years with one year guaranteed them I think the pick had better be better than 17.

And the last case would be for a straight draft pick. If Philly does wind up with Wiggins or Parker, they've got the cap to trade#10 for Asik outright if the Pele pick does fall there. Would they do it? I don't know. But I would consider that close to fair value personally.