1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the highest contract will Dwight be offered in free agency next summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Sep 2, 2015.

?

What is the highest contract will Dwight be offered in free agency next summer?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2016.
  1. < 4 years/$80 million

29 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. 4 years/$80-$99 million

34 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. 4 years/$100-$115 million

30 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. 4 years/$116-$128 milion

19 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. 5 years/$95-$105 million

12 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. 5 years/$106-$120 million

17 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. 5 years/$121-$135 million

15 vote(s)
    7.2%
  8. 5 years/$136-149 million

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. 5 years/$150+ million

41 vote(s)
    19.8%
  10. He'll sign "Tim Duncan" 1-year deal at below market value

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. alcatrazpsycho

Is it too soon to start a Dwight Howard Appreciation thread?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Let's just hope the guy plays 75+ games this year.

DD

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

So basically what you want is a big with a high ppp on post ups that can also shoot 3's at above 35%? I wonder where we could get one of those....

4. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

I think he will sign starting at, or right under, $20million for the first year. Likely between $19-$20million. That is the sweet spot for retaining players while still having a shot at Durant. 4 years/$85 - $89million is my guess.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Simply stated, has everything to do with this season.

Since none of us have a crystal ball - ask again in 8 months.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Seeing as he is not planning to play 1 of 2 games during back to backs I would dare say he ain't even playing 60. Less if he actually gets injured.

7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Have heard this suggested, but yet to see evidence.

Link?

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

It's just what I heard but I could have gotten the idea from a wrong "sauce". If I find one that's definitive I'll let you know.

9. deshen

deshen Member

He is a maximum player and a beast in playoffs. He is going to get that kind of contract.

10. rocketseagles07

I can see him getting a big short term deal but nothing beyond 1 or 2 years

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

somebody will gamble and go for the big name recognition signing by offering D12 a boatload of money... maybe 3yr/max deal or 4 or 5 for a bit less than max...
    All hinges on if Harden can be cool and make Dwight 'feel the love' as to whether or not he stays... if he feels part of the family he may sign a 'reasonable' contract - which would be needed for DM to be onboard - DM aint givin Dwight's knees the max...

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dwight will go to Cleveland to win a ring.

13. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

he will take less than 20mil/yr cause he wont stand the backlash of leaving again. He also loves Houston

14. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

For some reason I can see this happening , thats a scary thought too

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

If things don't pan out for him out here in the West going the easy rout and teaming up in the East with Lebron would make huge sense from a bball point of view.

However, everything else Dwight has done has shown he isn't willing to give up a big chunk of money so he ain't going there. Plus Lebron supposedly dislikes him.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I could easily see Dwight taking a huge paycut to go East, that being said I don't see him taking that huge paycut until after his next contract. You don't just pass on a max deal to win a ring.

17. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

That likely doesn't help the Rockets much, if any because they will also extend at least one of DMo and Jones and will be capped or close to capped.

Actually, they would still be in it for Durant just the same, if not better, in terms of numbers. They would still need to renounce one of Jones and DMo and trade one of Brewer or Ariza to then ink Durant.

18. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I think it hinges on chasing Durant. If they can get Durant then they get Dwight to agree to a deal of 4 or 5 years starting at $18-20M a year. If not, he gets $23-24M starting for 3-5, which is probably what his market would be for a longterm deal.

19. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

he'll be gone.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its in both parties best interest to work something out, therefor i believe he will get a new deal in houston.

on one hand, dwight has a rep for jumping ship and not being interested in winning. leaving here would only exacerbate that idea and cost him popularity points which = endorsement $.

on the other hand morey has a rep for having little to no loyalty to players. letting dwight go would also exacerbate that idea as well.

deciding factor: fegan will line up a max contract for him somewhere (charlotte, dallas?) which will set his market value at $30M. morey will probably want to offer something closer to $20M... so maybe they meet in the middle at $25M. this way morey looks like he's showing loyalty to an aging injury prone star, and dwight looks like he's committed to winning so much so that he accepted a hometown discount.

i would also venture a guess that morey would prefer a shorter 3 year deal while fegan asks for 5. but the 5 year deal is a weak argument since the other max offers (charlotte/dallas) can only offer 4yrs. i think morey gets him down to 4 years.

finally i think it would be in both parties best interest to add a player option after the second year. dwight can then opt out of the last 2 years of the contract in order to get his last 4 year deal, thus guaranteeing more money, however morey can then negotiate a lower salary which will allow the team more cap flexibility. added bonus for the rockets is that dwight would then stay motivated to keep as healthy as possible for 2 more years in order to opt out and earn one last big contract.

so a logical prediction would say they agree to keep dwight at 4yrs/$112M ($25M/yr+standard raises), with a Player Option after year 2. this is also hoping that dwight plays 60+ games this season. if he plays 40 games again i think morey can get a deal done closer to 3yr/66M ($20M/yr+standard raises). that would be the high and low end possibilities for dwight resigning IMO