1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Is The Endgame???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jan 11, 2022.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You are a bad gambler then. Risk isn't determined simply by the money bet versus the money won. If I know I'm winning a bet for sure I don't care what the odds are because I'm at no real risk.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm actually a solid gambler. There's a reason why I'm involved in that world both in Vegas as a regular and in local books

It's you who I clearly see that's pretty square. Actually you're the definition of a square in the gambling world. Believing you take the worst odds w/ shitty payout, because you think it's no real risk. that's flat out terrible as a gambler

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Silas gets full responsibility but thats on paper, realistically development of fundamentals falls on the guys specifically hired to teach fundamentals. If your only reason to blame Silas is because he is in charge, guess who is more in charge than Silas? It's Stone. So why not blame Stone? He is in charge. You know wbo is more in charge of Stone? Fertita! So why not blame Fertita for player development? It makes as much sense for blaming Silas.

And I'm not even asking Silas to take blame for "lack of fundamentals". The only people asserting the rookies have lack of fundamental teaching are people like you who dont even have a clue how coaches work in the NBA. Just a couple of guys saying oh yeah Cunningham is so much better fundamentally than Green, Silas sucks blah blah blah. Do you have proof that the rookies we have regressed in fundamentals since the season started? Do you have a list of activities they did or did not do during the offseason and during off game nights? How do you know if coaches are doing their job or not? It's only been 3 months. Fundamentals arent mastered in 3 months otherwise they wouldnt be called fundamentals.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

How much would you be willing to bet that the sun will rise tomorrow? Are there any odds that would scare you off? It's delusional to think it won't.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

LMAOOOO. It's time to go do your hw

6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Are you talking about how the sun doesn't technically rise and the earth rotates? If you want to make that distinction then change it to an apple falling if you drop it. Any scientific occurrence that will occur.

7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Now youre assigning blame to Stone over SIlas as far as coaching goes because I roasted your weak arguement blaming the asisstant coaches and now you are leap frogging SIlas and going to Stone. Do you realize that its clear to anyone who can read that your entire goal is to scapegoat anyone for Silas, its just a weak arguement. Silas is somehow according to you a coach thats not cupable for coaching objectives and responsiblities.

You are also assigning someone elses opinions to me so that you can argue against their weak arguements. I never said anything about Fundamentals not sure why youre saying that to me. At what point did you decide for me that I knew nothing about coaching? Is it when you decided that Coaches bare no responsibilty for team development? You are projecting your ineptitude onto me. Peopel arent saying that this team is losing because of Silas completely and that "its all his fault" NO they attributing coaching failures to him because he's the ****ing coach.

Thats like saying if I hit someone while drunk driving that its not my fault its the beers fault. Its the cars fault, no no its the person who got hit fault for not knowing I was drunk and legally walking across the road. No its the drivers fault blaming everything else only makes you look silly. What a coach does and is responsible for isnt something that people dont know about its common knowledge. Stop acting like you have a masters degree in what NBA coaches are responsible for and no one else knows, its stupid and a weak arguement.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Objective of Silas is to game plan for winning games, thats a hc job. He teaches the rookies but it is more on specific plays and how they act to opponent offenses and defenses. They hold film sessions and he will point out to them what they're doing wrong. It's situational coaching, involving his team schemes, game plans and opponent plays. Thats not fundamentals and tbh it doesnt matter cuz we arent trying to win games right now.

If you talk about fundamentals, that will include strength and conditioning and skills training cuz those are the fundamentals. Fundamental training is done by the AC, he is the guy you see with the blocker pushing players as they make layups or whatever. Fundamental development is their job not the HC. Thats why when guys had lapses on defense, who called them out? It's John Lucas cuz his players arent applying what he taught them on defense. Basically Wood and KPJ made him look bad thats why he got pissed.

You are the one who said "this isnt about winning or losing" right? Now you are saying you are attributing losses to him cuz he is the coach. Lol you havent got a clue you are even contradicting yourself.

#228 roslolian, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets played great defense. Unfortunately it may mean they will win this game.

clos4life likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Vegas doesn't risk money just like the house doesn't really risk money on the blackjack table.

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

They do have some individual bet risks. It's why they offer buy backs on certain tickets that might kick their ass but that's more mid bet than initial. And sometimes you can catch a low line that changes from a major injury before the game. But overall they will never lose.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sure, we're a long way from the endgame if the definition of that is Championships.

But .... we are far ahead of the curve. You look at this roster and there isn't a #1 but there are 8 or 9 guys on this roster who are long term NBA talents and potentially part of the future.

Green, Tate, Sengun, Christopher, Garuba, KJM, Mathews, Brooks,

Normally a team in full on rebuild mode doesn't have near as many quality prospects .... they are lucky to have one guy.

Not only do we have those players, but we also have enough picks & salary to match that we could land the next pissed off star wanting to move and still have picks left over.

We're in year one but in a very good position. Stone has set himself up very well.

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

I agree there is talent on this roster, but it’s maddening that it is not being developed in a structured environment, no emphasis on playing hard and the right way.
    It’s noteworthy you don’t list Wood in that group. He’s by far the best of them, but seems like a lost cause now. His circumstances (playing for an extension) and his mercurial personality made him the first to go "bad", but who says the others would be much different? Why wouldn’t they also develop bad habits and bad attitude in this garbage environment?

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You are right, I don't list Wood .... I don't believe he is part of the future.

He leaves his teammates hung out to dry defensively refuses to play team ball offensively .... All he cares about is getting his numbers, damn the results. That dude is happier scoring 22 in a blowout loss than 16 in a win. Down 20 he'll be smiling and jacking 3's .... Fk that guy.

I want this guy and his toxic attitude outa here ....

I think once that guy stops getting minutes, you'll see there was some structure to the offense .... he just refuses to contribute.

Those complaining about Silas are the same people saying how much they love these young guys - Christopher, Sengun & Green all of whom have improved greatly since training camp.

Most thought Christopher would spend the majority of the year in RGV - He's made Silas keep him with the big club and carved out a role for himself ....
    We all expected Sengun to be pretty good, but he's far exceeded expectations, particularly defensively.

Green has played much better since his return from injury.

Tate just keeps getting better ....

Brooks has expanded his game, he's taking people to the rack and playing lock down defense ....

Most people complaining about Silas haven't played an organized game of basketball since they were in junior high .... they just need someone to blame.
    It's hard to complain when your team is #1 in FT attempts, #1 in shots in the paint and 40% of their shots come on open and wide open 3's. That's an insane number .... they just need to figure it out on the defensive end and getting rid of Wood will go a long way to solving that problem.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Great post, Doc.

Step 1 and Step 2 we've started, but we're only halfway through. If we can get a get a top 3 pick this summer and also grab a 2023 FRP from a perennial lottery team at the trade deadline for some combo of Wood/EG/Wall, that should help with Step 3 by giving us a potential star and another starter. Once Wall's contract is off the books, we can move to Step 4 and snag a big FA.

I don't see us in the playoffs next year, but maybe the year after. Then in 2024-2025 we'll be well positioned to make some noise. If all goes well, we might be looking at the finals in 2026 or 2027. It will take a small miracle to get us there before 2026, though.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

“What is the endgame?”
    “When will we get over the hump?”

Today is the one-year anniversary of the Harden trade. That was the tear down. There’s still more tearing down to do.

Buckle in. Or check out and check back in a few years.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ter-trading-James-Harden-Rockets-16773385.php

“We are organizationally committed to the path,” Rockets general manager Rafael Stone said. “I think I speak not just for myself, but for Tilman (Fertitta, the franchise owner that green-lit the change in direction,) we are smart people, and we knew this was not going to be easy. Great things are not supposed to be easy.

“If you want to accomplish something great, it is not always going to be fun. We are cognizant of that, but we definitely think we’re on the right path. We don’t think we’re at the end of that path by any means.”

“I can tell you I am extremely comfortable with where we are and where this group is,” Stone said. “We have a good group of very young, very talented players, they’re working really hard, and they like each other. And all of those things combined make very happy.”

The Rockets general plan is to rebuild as quickly as possible without trying to shortcut the process. That could differentiate them from the 76ers “process” or the current Thunder rebuild in that they have included more veterans on the roster and would be unlikely to trade a first-round pick to get other first-round picks for later.

“It’s not to say we don’t value winning games, we don’t value competing in games,” Stone said. “We’re not trying to give away tomorrow by any means to get to a month from now. I do think the grind is always worth it. You always focus on the next minute, the next hour, the next day. You don’t ever think, ‘Oh, it’s all going to be fine in two years.’ That’s the single way you can make sure that it won’t be.

“It’s not to say our focus isn’t on improvement. It is. We are really, really happy with the group that we’ve assembled and … we’re really bullish on their potential for growth.”

The Rockets likely would have been better this season had the goal of the Harden deal been to acquire proven veterans. They chose instead to build a roster that will allow their young core the playing time to develop and learn from the mistakes. That can be frustrating, though Stone said it is easier for him to focus on the long-term than for coaches who must address the immediate need for corrections.

That is the course the Rockets chose a year ago.

“As far as our direction and our organization post James, we’re moving in the right direction,” Silas said. “We have a bunch of young guys that we like a lot. We have flexibility, obviously. And Rafael has done a really good job of doing both of those at the same time.

“As far as our group on the floor, we’re up and down. We have good games, and we have games that aren’t so good. We have distractions sometimes when we’re on the floor. We are learning, we’re growing. And you see other guys around the league who are 19, … some teams have younger guys on the team but they’re not playing as many as we’re playing. These kids are learning and they’re learning on the fly. They’re getting better.

“I love our direction. I love where we’re going and what we’re going to be.”

Invisible Fan and harold bingo like this.
  17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Let's be real, the way to win a championship in this league is to draft or sign a league MVP. I just don't see that happening with Green or Sengun but it's too early to tell anyways. We still need to be tanking to the lottery for at least 2 more years.

We'll just end up like Portland or Utah if our picks don't turn into an MVP level player but maybe making it deep into the playoffs and selling tickets is Tilman's "endgame".

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

@gmoney411 rockets won't be making the playoffs

Reminder: that'll be $100 to @Clutch

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It was looking possible for a second there! I'll pay up. I'm hoping you did the same for our other bet.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If there were an endgame, it too would be over man.