1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Omer Asik’s ceiling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Nov 13, 2012.

1. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]

2. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Rockets are at the bottom of the league, simply because everyone appears to be in a shooting slump, except for Morris.... Parson is also shooting the 3Pt at a respectable rate - 36% (nothing Earth shattering, but respectable)

If the Rockets start shooting better, then the record will improve accordingly. But how can the Rockets expect to do much if their shooting % is bottom 5 of the league!!!!!

3. Allegro

Allegro Member

Dikembe Mutombo with better passing.
    Omer has a long way to go though.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I meant to write "his prime".

Morning posting is as bad as drunk posting for me.

But yeah, generally I think Asik is going to post per game averages similar to Marcus Camby at the same age, and similar defensive value. He will probably block fewer shots, but will make up for it in other areas.

5. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

He should move to Hakeem's house

6. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

outrebounding dwight! :)

8. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

He is a double-double robot!

9. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Asik is sick. A joy to watch. This dude will be the 'steal" of the year. We have a solid real big man for years to come.

Best part, he doesn't strike me as a guy who misses games because he's "hurt".

No achin' backs here sir !

10. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Want to know whats even more impressive? 12.9 rpg on 32.0 mpg.

11. cbb139

cbb139 Member

If Asik can ever be Tyson Chandler with a little bit of game on Offense, I think that's more than anyone could ask for.

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

If he didnt consistently blow layups and wide open dunks, he'd probably be averaging 16-17 pts/12 rebounds...even right now he can probably be considered an elite center in the NBA.

Rockets got a steal.

13. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No chance.

Mutombo was incredibly agile and athletic in his prime. They are not even remotely similar.

15. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Steroids a helluva drug

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Just a thought...

If Asik continues hitting about 72% of his free throws, how long until he starts taking and hitting the little 10 to 15 foot jumper on a consistent basis? If he becomes a threat out of the post as well as in the post he has a chance to be a very real offensive threat.

17. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

He's actually hitting 81.5% of his free throws

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3414/omer-asik

18. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

I remember when Yao couldn't catch the ball well, but man Asik is horrible at dropping passes...but I don't know I guess he is a double double machine, well a rebounding machine for sure, hopefully he isn't taking more than 10 plus shots a game unless they are lay ups, and dunks....often so point wise I'm not sure where he could end up....

19. dantian

dantian Member

An optimized cross between Noah, Varejao, Chandler. No, he is not Mutumbo.

20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

anyone else find this comment from Coach Sampson about Asik a bit strange? Not sure what he means here...I kind of read it as a dig of being from Turkey? or is it some expression...here's the quote from Chronicle:

Asik unfazed

Kelvin Sampson shrugged off the potential impact of a young Rockets team playing Saturday night at Staples Center against a Lakers team that will be make one of its first starts Sunday under new coach Mike D’Antoni.

In particular, he said he thought center Omer Asik would avoid being star-struck by the moment.

“Omer doesn’t know if he’s on foot or horseback half the time, so I’m not sure he knows what the Staples Center is,” Sampson said. “I don’t think that will bother our guys.”