1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Kenny Thomas worth in a trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Jun 19, 2002.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

lol,

Harrington + the Dickerson got us Francis.

KT + Rush for JWill

:p

2. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I think KT and the 15 would not get us higher than 8 or 9. To entice Clevelend we would need to offer them the 38 pick (probably not enough), a future pick (maybe an additional asset towards the Lebron James quest), or take on a long term contract of theirs that they no longer want. It would probably take 2 of those 3 to make it happen. This draft is so talented 1 thru about 7 that any of those picks would require a package bigger and better than KT and the #15.

Just my opinion

3. Possum

Possum Member

Wow I’m honored. You actually responded to one of my post without insulting me. I guess you aren’t mad at me for “dissing” the Clipper trade idea that YOU started. You know the one everyone was talking about for so long.

4. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

You pose a legitimate question, I give a legitimate answer.

Now its your turn to say "I agree" or "I disagree with your answer and here is why....".

Come on, man......you can do it. :D

5. Possum

Possum Member

I agree. Truce? I was playing on real gm and came up with this trade.

Houston trades Cato, Kenny Thomas, 15 and 37.

Cleveland trades T Hill #6

Of course this is a draft day trade only happening if Butler is available at 6. Similar to the Griffin trade. They draft Butler for us and we draft whomever they want. Cleveland gets a starting center and power forward and two draft picks. The Rockets get Butler and Ming out of this draft. This would leave us a little shallow at the center position. Mo T and Griffin could log some time at center as they did last year.

Would you do it?
    Would Cleveland do it?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Clevland might just go for that trade, and if we can get the details worked out with Ming before the draft, I think it makes since for both teams.

Good trade...

DaDakota

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

not sure Cleveland would do it but the Rockets surely would

Hill has 1 year left on his contract?

would/could Houston sign Rashard Lewis with a balloon contract that ramped up after Hill left?

on second thought
    Zydrunas Illgauskas and Cato would make one WWAAY overpaid frontcourt,
    and they would have to come up with $$ for Kenny soon as well

Cleveland couldn't afford this deal

#27 lpbman, Jun 20, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  8. fred futureStar

Keep Kenny, move Mo. Besides KT doesn't dip snuff, nor covet cinnamon crispas. He's a fit team chemistry wise. If and when # 15 rolls around and we can substantially move up with KT in the mix, well...adios, vaya con dios. Personally. I'd trade Mo T, K Cato and # 15 for a good SF, a 1961 Roger Maris baseball card, a trip around the block in a 1948 Cadillac convertible, and 5 lbs of brisket from Fulshear's Meat Market in Fulshear. Mo's problem is he still believes in the Michigan mistique thing. Kenny T knows it's about hard work, sweat, and luck. He has his priorities staight. Mo's head is like a plowed garden - rows and rows of planted seeds waiting to bare. Go figure.

Did I mention I love this site?

9. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

The problem with that is no one will take Mo's contract.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

KT=Tweener with little trade value. Or as much trade value as the best backup PFs in the league. I don't think many teams will trade for him to be their starter.

11. Jhcal23

Jhcal23 Member

Congrats Kidrock. You win.

Hell maybe NY is looking for a 6'7" PF who shoots 40%? LOL.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I say we offer KT to Jerry West. If he is willing to make a deal, we know he has good trade value. Next, we ask Orlando, then we get an even better idea. So on and so forth with the Pistons, Lakers, San Antonio, etc(teams that seem to get a lot out of little players).

After we get a good idea what kind of value he has, we start offering him to Golden State, Miami, Chicago, New York, Denver, etc(teams that make dumb deals).

I don't have an exact answer, but a decent draft of a formula.

13. Darth West

Darth West Member

Memphis strongest position is by far PF and thus we have no interest in KT ...

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Not that I don't agree with you that Memphis isn't interested in KT, but why do I keep on hearing Gooden and Tski's name mentioned with the 4th pick in the draft? I would say both of those guys are more of a power forward than KT, or at least they eventually will be.

15. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

Anyone remember what we all said when we drafted him 1st rd #22?

http://www.clutchcity.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=18

This is the reason I don't want to trade Kenny.
    The boy has proven us wrong and exceeded our expectations again and again. He's got game. He's got heart. Barkley was no taller...

He can be a solid PF for us for years. Along with Griffin (at SF) and Yao, we would have superior hustle, talent, and natural ability (if you can call height a natural ability) in our frontcourt versus just about any team in the NBA!

At worst, he can be a solid spark off the bench! And with Kenny's post presence, Yao will be THAT much more effective.

I think we can field two sets of players up front:

Half-Court Game:
    Kenny
    Rice
    Yao

Running Game:
    MoTay
    Griffin
    Cato

We can the run the opposite team into the ground one half, and use Kenny to grind it into them in the other... Why the heck not?

16. Darth West

Darth West Member

Very good question ... I can't see us drafting any of these guys but I have also heard the rumours. I think the idea is to create matchup problems assuming they can play SF ... but if they can't play SF its basically a wasted pick unless Gasol is our center of the future, which I doubt ... Well at least we would have one of the deepest PF "rotations" ever with Gasol, Swift, Wright, #4pick, Long, Massenburg but I cant see how it would translate into wins ...

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

AAAHHHHH Good to see how far he has come
    We owe him an apology
    Like I said. . . what is he working on this summer!!
    Is he still in houston?

Rocket RIver

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

So I assume you think they should take Butler? I say they should take Wagner. I thought it was the Grizzlies workout where he hit 15 of 20 nba 3's. I don't understand why he's fallen so far since the early-early mock drafts.

19. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

i agree with rocket river.
    KT is worth at least a top 8 pick if we are to trade him at all.
    He's a way-above-average PF prospect (and has the numbers to prove it!) not to mention his extremely cap-friendly contract...

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Half the rumors of potential trades involve the Grizzlies, so maybe that team will draft with an eye toward making a trade.