1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Kenny Thomas worth in a trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Possum

Possum Member

It seems some people around here dont have a very high opinion of KT. I'm just curious to see what people think he would be worth in a trade.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Kenny Thomas is a baller... He has so many intangibles that dont show on the stat sheet, but the main one is intensity. He may not be worth that much as far as what other teams around the league focus on talent wise, but he is a keeper and a good fit for what the Rockets need.

Dont trade KT, unless he is apart of a big package that is too hard to pass up. But a straight up trade involving KT would be very hard to execute.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I love KT! Good guy for the team and he hustles!

I would only trade KT if I could substantially upgrade the SF spot. That will be our weakness (Rice and Morris).

The bottom line is the team has 3 power forwards in KT, Taylor and Griffin. Someone has to go. We can't keep all 3. Griffin is the future, Taylor has the monster contract. KT will be a FA after next season and will want his money and after last season he will want more playing time. He can't get it here with the situation we have now. And no, KT and Griffin are not SFs so that does not solve anything.

I just don't see a way KT will be with this team unless we can trade away Taylor which I don't see happening.

Chris

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

he would be worth a young frontcourt player with potential who has already proven he can put up 14ppg, 7rpg, 2 apg, 1spg, 1 bpg.

5. Possum

Possum Member

I know what KT does for this team. Let me rephrase the question. How high of a pick could we obtain for Kenny? Would you say he would be worth a #12?

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i love kt, he hustles his butt off and seems pretty intelligent. on the court he has a no-nosense demeanor. that being said mo is just about a lock to stay a rocket and eddie is our future starting 4. kt is our prime trade bait because his position is taken and his small contract is probably sought after by other teams. if he brought the same intensity into a smaller slimmer package we would have our 3 position settled.

ha, forgot to answer the question. :) i wouldn't give up kt and the 15 to get just the 12. that's a waste. hopefully he's worth enough to get odom or rashard but i don't see that either. his trade value right now is a big ? but he is talented.

#6 BigM, Jun 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'd say he is worth a #5 or 6 pick in this draft. People will say too
    high. But my question is. . .
    WHO IN THIS DRAFT WILL BE A: , 7rpg, 2 apg, 1spg, 1 bpg. GUY
    in 3 years?

Rocket RIver

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'd trade Kenny and the #15 pick to the Clippers for the #8 pick. The Clips are trying to "get rid" of their lottery picks (too much salary). They could take on KT's smaller salary and maybe draft Nachbar at #15 to stash in Europe, none of his salary counting against their cap. However, if they are in fact doing the deal with Portland for the #12 pick, then the Clips probably wouldn't need KT. Brand and Randolph would be more than enough at PF for them.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trade Kenny for a player like Ron Artest.

If not, hold onto him this year, and see what offers you get.

Remeber that even at the end of the year, the Rockets can still get value for him in a sign and trade.

DaDakota

10. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

You gotta love KT. He's got solid fundamentals, hustles, and plays bigger than his 6'7" size. He usually held his own against the bigger and stronger PFs of the West, so who knows what he could accomplish out East. I could see teams viewing him in the same mold as Corliss Williamson this past year. Straight up, we could probably get a 18-22 pick, but I don't think I'd do that unless a player we really likes slips or we package him to move up significantly and get a stud 3.

11. Jhcal23

Jhcal23 Member

Who's better? KT or Malik Rose? Personally I'd take Rose. How does KT fare guarding Duncan, Wallace, Malone, etc?

I've heard Rose is considering coming to the Lakers. Oakley is there if LA wants him. It's over.

12. Jhcal23

Jhcal23 Member

Randolph has more trade value than Thomas. Yup.

Randolph is a summer league stud. So what? Portland loves this guy (yes this was before any trade rumors). Guess what position Portland is the deepest at in the NBA? PF. Where Randolph plays. That equals no playing time then or now. He has something Thomas will never have: size.

Thomas = proven role player, journeyman in waiting, undersized tweener, 40% FG shooter

Randolph = unproven but with lots of potential

You guys hype Thomas up way too much. He's not going to get you a #8 or a #12.

13. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I addmit he is very talented and shows heart on the court but when his contract expires, you know he's going to want the big bucks. This is why we have to trade him now. I'm not saying he won't be worth the money, it's just that we allready have one overpaid pf and we don't have that kind of flexibility with our cap status.

14. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

What do you mean that you think that Rose is a better player? Malik Rose is not half as versatile as this guy. It's debatable whether he can continuously play the 3 but Kenny is certainly capable of playing it for stretches. He is Mo's equivalent on the stat sheet as well. The only problem with him is his size and playing time. I do however think that this guy could be a stud in the east with his versatility, and by the way I think that you are way out of line in saying that Malik Rose is that good he's decent and only decent.

15. lpbman

lpbman Member

Orlando should be calling every day to land Kenny

they have squat at PF/C

16. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

How about trading KT and Langhi for Richard Jefferson?

17. Jhcal23

Jhcal23 Member

Kidd, Martin, and Jefferson are untouchables. That's what Thorn said anyway.

18. Possum

Possum Member

Here's the reason I asked the question in the first place. I read that Cleveland needs a power forward that can contribute now. I think KT would be an excellent PF in the east. If we offer KT, 15, our second round pick, what else would it take to get #6? Maybe another future first round pick? I think the Rockets are going to try and do whatever they can to get Butler. I'm just trying to figure out if its possible. :confused:

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'd much rather have KT than Jefferson.

KT > Rose

KT right now > Randolph, but given time and development Zach could turn out to be a stud. I'm sure the Clipps are licking their chops about getting 3 mill for a measly draft pick. ;)

20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Kenny Thomas = Othella Harrington

I don't think that helps this thread any, but just thought I would throw it in there.