1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is JVG Thinking???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFan95, Apr 18, 2006.

1. RocketsFan95

RocketsFan95 Member

I have been so frustrated and angry over last night's win against Denver. This was the
    single most disappointing game I have watched this season. In the last 2 games of the season, when 5 teams are crowded into 6 to 10th spot, and when everybody tries to lose out and break the tie, we actually won this most meaningless game. I wonder what exactly JVG was thinking when he tried to coach to win this game. Did he really believe the fans would appreciate their so-called "Heroic Effort"? Did he really think the fans would
    applaud with this win? Silly!

I wonder what is in his mind right now. Is he able to use flexible thinking at all? What does he try to show us? Wining attitude? Professionalism? If this game proved anything, it just showed how stupid we were last night. The whole game Nuggets just toyed with us, leading 18 points early (actually this is a true indicator of our current talent level difference), then basically used us as practice partner, and threw the win to us, and we were just like idiot
    taking it with "pride".

I would have been less irritated had we had a hard-fought win over Spurs/Mevericks/Suns etc when the game is important to them. Come on, if the opponent refuses to win, what is the point to even compete at the last minute? Now when a game really means something, do you think us fans really believe the squad could have any chance to pull that win? Heck NO!

I really can not blame the players for their effort on the court. The coach is responsible. He is seriously hurting the origanization's future with this "winning attitude" and "professionalism", especially if we look at the draft prospect of this year. With our salary structure, the draft is so important. Sliding down 2-3 spot could be davastating. It just eleminated a lot of possibilities before we even know it. For example, assuming we are
    at 6,7th spot, I was really dreaming of getting into top two or three. I know mathmatically it is small chance, but it is not that small, not like if we stand at 9-10th spot.

I am just puzzled with JVG's decision making. I thought he was smart, threwing the win to Miny just like Nuggets did to us. Now am I wrong? Did he try to tell us, we made all the effort during those losses (after we are mathmatically out of the playoff run), and we still lost? Is he losing the control of the team? Boy, I am just sooooo pissed off with this r****ded win.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's a good thing you didn't see us lose. If you hate winning, wait till you see us lose.

3. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

I've always been a VG supporter, but he's just been pissing me off more and more.

Why the hell do you win this game?!?

Seriously.

4. Ra Ooh La La

Ra Ooh La La Contributing Member

一个星为您

una estrella para ti

5. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

very well written, covered all the bases.

6. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

He cannot use flexible thinking because he had never ever coach a team that cannot get into the playoffs. thats how good of a coach he is

AND if u actually read the postgame comments by the nuggets, they all wanted to win this game to gain their momentum back because they have not win a single game since clinching the playoff. its just that our scrubs proves to us that they were worth keeping :)

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Don't kid your self Karl wanted to lose. Why do you think he pulled Carmelo. The sad thing about this is that I actually think JVG wanted to lose. Yeah don't try to tell me JVG wanted to win this game. Did you see the look on his face after the Rockets made the go ahead basket. It was definitely the Deer Caught-in-Headlights look on his face. What an idiot? Eisley deliberately dribbled the ball into the trap and then laid it on the floor for the Rockets to steal and they where suckered into it. During the timeout you could see George Karl snickering on the sidelines as he drew up a 20 feet jump shot for Camby. While Van Dummy looked both shocked and stupefied as if to say oh **** how did I let this happen, Les is going to can me for sure now. George Karl couldn't have choroegraphed it any better and JVG was the sucker to fall for it.

What an idiot? Can't even lose when he is trying.

#7 Old Man Rock, Apr 18, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I don't know if JVG was trying to lose, but Karl obviously could care less. At about the 8 minue mark of the 4th Qtr. Bullard said: "if I didn't no better I would think Karl was trying to lose.

What I don't understand is why JVG would then right after the game savage the shrubs who played their hearts out to win. Between the stupid loss and the stupid comments afterwards about replacing them all since they can't win, I think he is living in a dream world.

My questions about JVG. Has he ever built a playoff team or did he just inherit some good players at NY from Riley?. How in the world would any player gain any confidence in their game or especially their shooting with continual negativity and micromanaging?

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

That's exactly what he did Glynch. He inherited a group of players that where primed to win but just needed a little freedom from the tyrant Riley. Add that with the fact that this was a veteran team already programmed to follow orders and Van Gundy needed only to add alittle more basketball knowledge, (Never said Van Gundy didn't have some basketball knowledge) and they were primed to compete. But when the old school slowly departed and the new players like sprewell wouldn't tow the line so easily Van Gundy had a nervous breakdown and quit.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

At least we know that the organization is being honest. Tanking is wrong and we all know it. You have to at least try to win.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I'm a big JVG supporter, but I am pissed we won last night. Screw making the players feel better with 2 games left. And screw playing Juwan...give Stromile 40 minutes each night and see what he can do throughout a whole game.

:mad:

12. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

glynch, i think your 2nd paragraph is really the only unique, worthwile point anybody has made who is whining about us winning the game. not that it makes a whole lot of difference, but that was a pre-recorded interview. that's a phenomenal point you made though.

i'm sick of repeating myself in different threads, but apparently i'm the only person who understands this: there are NO guarantees in the draft. would i rather have the #7 pick than the #9? sure. is the #7 pick guaranteed to be a waaaay better player than the #9 pick? not even close. go look at past drafts. the nba draft is a complete crapshoot, especially when you are talking about picks past the first few. you have to catch lightening in a bottle to luck into a stud, and our chances are no worse at 9 than they are at 7. not to mention the fact that we have tracy mcgrady and yao ming on our team, and we arent even looking for a stud, but role players. hell, we may end up benefiting by dropping 2 spots by lucking into a player at 9 who turns out to be a stud. you just never know. people on this board are hilarious, including the owner of the website. we arent dropping from 1 to 9. we are dropping from 7 to 9. calm down, people.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Honest? Try "dumb". You can try to win while playing younger players -- this team should be doing nothing but looking at next season. It's pointless to run an offense around Juwan Howard with 50 minutes left in your season. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, %$#ing dumb.... "inknown commodity" or not.

14. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Remember. Coaches have stats too. :p

15. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Exactly what I was thinking. He was just padding his stats in some garbage games, just like what players did in garbage time. What is wrong with that? ;)

16. mag

mag Contributing Member

This just shows why he has to be fired!!!!
    He is too stubborn. He refuses to change the way he thinks even if the circunstances imply otherwise. He will follow his stupid reasoning no matter what.
    That is also why he is not trying giving more time to Stro and Lampe. He is stubborn thinking that he won't play anybody that deserves the time.
    Les should demand from him an evaluation of those players and how he got those cloclusions. I don't know how he come to a conclusion if he did not really try those players for long streches of time on the court.

I am tired of his style. He might be a good coach, but his antics irritates me.

I am not renewing my season tickets until this clown gets fired. :mad:

17. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

I don't agree with any of you. I just read Clutch's accessment of last nights game of the home page too. What's up with that? Th eNBA is a entertainment business. I watched last nights game and was entertained. I loved it that we won and I hope we win the last one too. I want to see my team play hard and win...regardless of their record or the stupid lottery standings. Who cares...they make so many mistakes in drafting anyway. Tanking a game or part of a season is wrong...it's just wrong. No coach worth a plug nickel is going to do it. Sure let's fire JVG and bring in a slug who loses on purpose! How stupid does that sound?

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Clutch has repeated many time and I am pretty sure he is sick of doing that in different threads. The point is not WHO we draft with the pick. The point is the VALUE of the pick. We do not have to use the pick ourselves. We can always trade. The trade value of a #7 pick is way more than that of a #10, especially in light of this year's draft depth.

19. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

what is JVG thinking /???
    exactly, he aint thinking... actually, he doesn't have a dang mind to think with... that fool is a stupid *** with no basketball IQ ... I've had faith in him for years,, but now, it's official : I proudly announce that I joined the "FIRE GUNDY" crew... :D :cool:

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For you and those who do not believe in "tanking", look at the season as a gigantic game. Winning in this Game means winning the championship. Being out of the playoffs means that there is no possibility for us to win this Game.

This part of the season is equivalent to the garbage time in the 4th quarter of a blowout game. What do you do in garbage time? You sit your valuable players to minimize the probability of injuries. You play your bench players to give them some game time experience and observe what they can do. No sane coach would play his stars or old players to death during garbage time, when you have another game to play the next day (next season in our analogy).

Yes, the win was entertaining--as entertaining as someone making a last second midcourt shot in a blowout game.

Even if losing doesn't give us a higher pick, we still should use these games to develop for next season.