1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is happening in Oregon?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by aussie rocket, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

If dozens of heavily armed black men took over the same building in Oregon, claiming they were willing to kill and be killed for the Black Lives Matter cause, would the media call them a "militia?"

Whatever did this group of dumbass rednecks do to earn the "militia" tag?

2. Buck Turgidson

No, most likely because the media is ****ing terrible and they would find a much more terrifying word.

Were you not around in the 80's/90's when that movement took hold? The "Michigan Militia" was a big deal for a while, and there have always been similar groups in the West/NW.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of giving people the gloss they want in situations like this. They want you to think of them as militia. Right now, they're criminals. Let's go with that.

4. Buck Turgidson

Exactly. These people deserve no attention and then a quiet date in federal court.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This isn't the militia of centuries ago. There isn't a need for that type of militia today. One, it's completely ineffective against today military and two, the all mighty US military does NOT need any of the traditional past civilian lightly armed force to supplement it. They already have the national guard for that fx.

Today "militia" term have negative connotation I think. They involve folks that are more likely anti-government, anti-establishment, pro-terrorist against government and it's citizen, etcs. So I think "militia" isn't a bad starting term for these folks. Once they engage in criminal activities like this, they re-emphasis the negative connotation of today "militia".

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Oregon lunatics need snacks. <a href="https://t.co/YnAOM3hPQk">pic.twitter.com/YnAOM3hPQk</a></p>&mdash; Imraan Siddiqi (@imraansiddiqi) <a href="https://twitter.com/imraansiddiqi/status/683764510662901760">January 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#66 GladiatoRowdy, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Patriots/ Freedom Fighter vs Thugs

Whats really the difference. Basically these dude are using government land that the government helps maintain and then when the government asks them to pay well they can't do that. The are basically welfare babies.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This isn't like Waco which was effectively a hostage situation. All of these guys are adults there knowingly breaking the law of their own free will. I wouldn't want this situation to end in a deadly conflagration, but there would be no innocent victims if it did. I understand and appreciate the need to operate with caution to ensure the safety of both officer and criminal (if only the police in Chicago and Baltimore did), but I think it's a mistake to take too many lessons from Waco. This isn't the perpetrators' home, there are no hostages or children. This situation is more like serving an arrest warrant on someone who has holed up in their house with a gun, something the police have to deal with every once in a while. When the arrest warrant is for dealing drugs, say, the police do not conduct a 51 day stand-off. They kick in the door with guns drawn. I'm not sure why that's an appropriate enforcement action against Tracy Ingle but not for Ammon Bundy.

10. Buck Turgidson

Oh I totally agree, I just brought up those other 2 incidents to remind people how things can go haywire in a hurry when law enforcement initiates a confrontation (justified or not) with armed morons.

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

send in the drones, should end this quickly.:grin:

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm going to send Islamic prayer rugs and some lube.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

That may have been the smartest thing he has ever said.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

So these guys think The US Postal Service is going to deliver mail to them?

goobers :rolleyes:

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like that they don't need or want money, but they have a donations tab set up and mentioned in the tweet.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Send them snacks that include sleeping pills - go in and arrest these nut jobs while they snore.

DD

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is not the most well-regulated militia that I have seen.

20. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Maybe DJ Khaled will hook them up for being so loyal to 'Murica.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ll9nfNlDLII" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>