1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is going through Rick Adelman's mind right now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jul 9, 2013.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Anger? Frustration? Depression?

I'd imagine mostly just regret.

I remember a time of great divisiveness on this board. When a hall of fame coach... ahem, "hall of fame" coach bolted due to irreconcilable differences with the direction of the team. Instead of the constant personnel carousel that was to come, he championed stability and a core of mediocre role players. He wanted control, and a say in how to build the team. The Rockets said, no.

Not yet 2 years have passed, and the Rockets are vindicated, on the verge of contention with 2 of the top 10 players in the NBA. While Adelman's team is decimated by injury as he strives for mediocrity. He has his control, to be sure(Budinger and now Kevin Martin), but was it all worth it?

Had he simply put aside his ego, his pride, his arrogance, and gave Morey a chance, a mere 2 more years, he would have a chance at a title that he will now never taste, and a "hall of fame" career deserved.

Instead he rots.

#1 CXbby, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I should have listened to that nerd.

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

As an aside, maybe McHale was the tipping point in having Howard come over. McHale is a player's coach that knows how to have fun and joke -- the players seem to love him, and Howard loves having fun and a coach that he enjoys spending time with. Just read his comments about Hakeem.

But more importantly, McHale is a legend in the post. I swear I read somewhere that Howard said McHale was a big reason, someone who would know how to use him in the low block and how to improve his game.

4. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

"I should have had a V8"

5. joesr

joesr Member

Bo Knows

6. conquistador#11

honestly, probably..' i'm getting too old for this shh"

7. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I have a feeling this roster would be quite different if Rick were still here...

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

At the end of the day, Morey was absolutely correct and Rick was wrong. I stopped doubting the lovable chubby nerd a couple of years ago. He had a grand plan that very few people saw it coming. Farking MIT grad.

9. mario_v

mario_v Member

I was just thinking about this the other day, lol. I honestly think that Adelman is the second best coach in the league, behind Popovich.

I don't know if Mchale is the right coach for this team heading forward. He's on his last year of his contract. If it were me, I would find a way to get Adelman to resign with the rockets. He plays to his player's strengths and gets the most out of them.

We need Adelman or a coach of his caliber to make this team a serious contender. Does anyone know when his contract expires? ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

hardly the Roster would be what it is - Daryl for better or worse didnt really take into account what the coach wanted - he traded Shane Battier away during the middle of a potential playoff push, traded away Adelman's fav in Brooks.

Traded away Patterson and Morris.

So the Roster would be the same more or less

Now I dont think Rick minds - he wanted to coach stars - it didnt happen here with Tracy and Yao being hurt. It could have happened now with Harden and Howard but he has Rubio and Love up there and so I am sure he isnt too upset

11. newAge_Rockets

Dwight came to play under McHale, and I think he will for the long haul

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Adelman's thinking, "Kevin Martin... Hell yeah!"

13. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

If I recall correctly, Rick Adelman actually wanted to stay with the Rockets but the Rockets let him go stating that he didn't fit in with the direction the team is heading. Nothing was under his control.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

You might be a bit off the track.

Morey claimed he had to talk Les out of firing Adelman before the start of his last season here.

There had been rumors Les had tried to fire Adelman even earlier than that and disliked like him on a personal level for some unknown reason. It was kind of similiar to what happened to JVG.

15. deshen

deshen Member

lol, Adelman is a much better coach than you thought. BTW, where is the chance on the title?

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Wolves are going to be awesome this year... Best kept secret...

17. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Slow down.

19. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Perhaps what to have for lunch.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Another useless thread. Adelman didn't want to leave,morey forced him out trying to name his successor.He went out like a man and when he's finished,he's going to the hall of fame. Imagine what this team would've looked like if that bad trade would've went through. Morey did agreat job getting Harden,asik,and howard and a poor miscalculated move of signing Lin.In the end,I don't need to hear try hard,just get it done and he did.

1 person likes this.