1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is going on with all the cursing?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by DaDakota, Jul 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Honestly, the stuff between Tin and Sweet Lou are getting out of control. I like both posters, but when they are around each other it gets out of control. I understand there is a history there, but I don't know the history so the jabs back and forth aren't funny to me. Like I said, the forums are an amazing place because of both those two, but the fighting detracts from how good posters they are.

2. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That rep point thing has really impressed you, hasn't it?

Maybe you, Aunt Bee, Thelma Lou and Howard Sprague can come up with some guidelines the next time you get together for one of those wacky bridge games you have back in Mayberry.

#102 Pistol Pete, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No, just the oppposite, I don't think it is effective without teeth.

DD

4. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I think it's funny how he calls himself "DD" in his videos. Didi is a girls name!

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I do it for fun, that is entirely the point.

DD

6. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

It's gotta be frustrating to be you then...

A message board with asteriked cursing and a reputation point system with no teeth. The friggin horror of it all. I can say friggin or is it too obvious that friggin is just a watered down f-bomb?

I've got a kid too. At 10, I couldn't see him wanting to log on to a basketball forum to see how many rep points Pop has..... At 22, I can see my son begging me to get a life if he thought I cared about rep points from a bunch of strangers.

If you want your kids to grow up frustrated give them a goal of organizing a grass roots movement to change the posting habits of grown men and women posting anonymously on an internet message board.

#106 Pistol Pete, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Wait. I have a blatently obvious question that needs to be addressed right now!

If the kids still know what the word is, even with Asteriks, why asterik it? Someone obviously taught them it, right? They know the word, dont they? Why hide it then? This I don't understand. To say adults don't use that language would be a lie, and they already know it, so why lie to them further? It would be like if your kid
    figured out Santa
    doesn't exist and still pretending around him that he does. Yeah its funny that he says that his christmas gifts are from
    santa
    , but just like my spoilers in this reply, it doesn't really hide much. It is just ornamental. Maybe I don't get it because I'm not a parent. I still think the language should be cleaned up, but not because of kids.

8. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey now, I never stood up on either side of this, I just wanted to help present DDs side b/c everyone was mercilessly killing him on this topic.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What videos? :confused:

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ill,

You are missing the point, I am tossing out suggestions in hopes that it drives discussion.

Sorry for trying to make this a nicer place to hang out on the web.

DD

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Apology accepted. Haha.

Naah man, it's good that you are calling atention to a problem. The fact that you brought it up is good.

It is a testament to your power here. I think a man's power shouldn't be judged on how many friends he has, but how many enemies. Anyone can say they like you, or nothing you, it takes energy to keep a thread going for 12 pages. You have power my friend, great power.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I have no power, just thoughts and am unafraid to put them out there for discussion.

After 10+ years though, a lot of posters harbor a grudge, I never understood that, to me we are all Rocket fans and grudges are a waste of time.

DD

13. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Nicer for you and yours is what you really mean....

I mean this with all due respect. Open up your own forum and institute your own rules and I think you would find that what you are asking for would be borderline dull and labor intensive. No matter what lines you draw, somebody will think you drew them too short or too long...

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I concede that fact Ill, .....and honestly, I have no issue if my stance is unpopular or Clutch doesn't agree.

Just putting my .02 out there.

DD

15. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

If you use it with the intention of being disrespectful then sure, it is. But if used casually, I can't see why it would be disrespectful. Examples:

- Go **** yourself: disrespectful.
    - Eat **** and die: disrespectful.
    - Wow! Look at that ****! Buerhle threw a perfect game!: is this really disrespectful? Personal? I don't get it.

It's not the curse words that should get folks, IMO, it's the insulting. Is "get bent" really not as disrespectful as "go **** yourself"? It's the same thing, really.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I personally do not see a single case where you need to use it....but that is just my feelings.

Oh well, maybe I should join the crowd and become one of those aggressive cursers too, I am sure the board would benefit from that, right?

DD

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'll go ahead and agree with you that sometimes it is a bit much and I can be just as big an offender as the next guy and I have a kiddo too so I can sympathize to an extent, but seriously DD......you're concerned that your kids are seeing asterisks on a sports BBS??

If it just about the quality of the posts, I can totally understand that.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just think there's a lot worse on here for kids then curse words.

Sexual references ("I want to sex Mutombo"), insults, put-downs, mature jokes and references....

The way players are attacked even - calling them weak (aka a vagina), and other vitrol expressed toward even opposing players....

Is this what kids should be exposed to? I think this bbs is definitely at least PG-13

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Agreed. DD is just a bad parent.

LTF

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

what kind of childhood did you have where you were never exposed to any of that? :confused: