1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is going on with all the cursing?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by DaDakota, Jul 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I agree with DaDa that the cussing should be toned down. It's not about protecting the forum for kids. Rather it's about acting like grown-ups.

THere was a time texttalk was ridiculed here. I miss those days. :p

2. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

even if you removed the swear words, i have a sneaking suspicion the garm (or other forums for that matter) would still be frivolous, contentious, and borderline unreadable.

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think replacing curse words with astericks is plenty in the way of policing language on this BBS. This isn't a Nickelodeon bbs and it shouldn't be modified to suit the sensibilities of 10 year olds and their parents.

I can't really say if their has been a decline in the quality of posts over the last year or so, due to personal attacks, but if so, I doubt seriously that banning people for cussing would address the problem. Also, some people deserve to be personally attacked (not you DD).

If I had a 10 year old kid reading the board I would be more concerned about some of the content of posts in the Hang Out, than I would be with any cussing, but again I don't think the bbs should be censored to meet the needs of children.

Finally, DD if you are that worried about your young son starting to read the board, you should do some serious searching and deleting of your older posts in the hang out, because I'm pretty sure you've said stuff in there about your past that you would not want him to read. And it would not be unlikely for a son to go back and read his dad's old posts.

#83 gifford1967, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The proverbial needle in a haystack.

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Cursing gets a bad rap. They're just words. Sticks and stones, amirite?

Of course, I'm a younger generation, so our morals are completely different.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nah, I don't really post much controversial or rude stuff....and if I let him join, he won't have search ability anyway..

:D

DD

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That's what I meant. That he would would have to wade through 55k posts, the majority of which would be no worries.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Cursing is disrespectful, and is honestly not necessary. The only thing cursing does is elevate a discussion and make it personal.

To me it is a big part of the degradation of the board as a whole.

DD

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There should be a curse meter. Any time a poster's words is replaced by asterisks, he gets one more curse point.

REP = Gained REP - (MOD's Negative REP) - 0.5*(curse points)

Would that make you happy DD? :D

Actually, now that I think about it, it would make sense to me to drive all BBS privileges by rep. You could even add tip-jar donations to the REP formula:

REP += tip-jar donations (in dollars)

So, in effect, I could buy myself 20 allowed curse words simply by donating $10 to the tip-jar. I think this would be a good system.

Clutch could even assign different debit values to different curse words. Links to Hoopsworld is like 20 curse points.

#89 durvasa, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

LOL - $$$$ generation is always good IMO...

DD

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I find nothing wrong with cussing itself.

But yah, cussing someone out should be and usually is frowned upon.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

so damn should be considered a vulgar word even though it is not?

i know DD was unhappy that the made up word "effing" was in a thread title. should we also ban heck? i mean it's just a made up subsitution for hell? should we also get rid of wtf, ffs, and lmfao?

do we need to get rid of suck, sucks, and sucking too? i think we all know where that came from.

just curious where you draw the line since you say we shouldn't use non-vulgar words like damn.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I'm with moes, thacabbage and pretty much everyone else that isn't Dakota and arif. You have a filter and the asteriks are used to replace the offending words. Yes, I do think that maybe some kind of punishment should be enacted for people who posts words where they use a "!" instead of i, for example in the word that begins with a "s" and ends in a "t". And I have been guilty of that in the past, but honestly, what looks worse - typing "****" or typing "****"? I think everyone would agree on the first. But still I don't think this is a big issue.

No wonder you have so many posts Dakota - getting all wrapped up over something like this. Geez. Sad thing is you probably have had many people repping you for this. But ****, keep fighting the ****ing fight, I guess. :confused: :p

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

DD your kids read these forums? I'd be weirded out if my dad was on here haha.

To a certain extent, I think you're right and the language should be cleaned up around here, but I don't think the cursing is the issue. I think it's the attacking of others, its the sexual content of Hangout, and its just the overall adult nature of this bbs. I'm not saying I am a beacon of light and never done any of this, in Hangout the Anne Hathaway thread is proof I've done all three. I think the rep system could reform this in a lot of ways. Personally, I think any direct attacks on posters should be banned. I don't mind when a person's thread is attacked, but I take issue with the person himself being directly attacked. We are better than that.

I think racial terms should constitute immediate bans, unless discusses in Debate and Discussion, there the poop can fly. I think direct attacks should result in a loss of rep, attack the poster's arguement and not the poster.

But! I do have to give the mods credit, they do tend to much of the problems on the board in a timely fashion. Who knows, maybe a couple posters should get together and officially write up a code of ethics. If anything, it could be comical.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Oh and Dakota (I refuse to call him "DaDa" or "Da Dakota" because it sounds dumb to me), I know people have brought this up before but your habit of signing every one of your posts with the "DD" is to me more annoying than people cussing. I should have mentioned that cursing in a post that is a personal attack is bad but cussing for comedic effect, especially with the asteriks isn't a big deal, IMO.

Also, another thing you do (you don't do it all the time) but you like to posts "..." several times in a post. I guess they are called "ellipses" but it hurts my head to read your posts sometimes because they are littered with these "..." throughout the post. It is almost like you are posting whatever is on your mind at the time and it has this weird stream of consciousness (sp?) effect, lol.

19. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Nail on the head. Too many great threads get derailed by verbal slap fights and di....male genetalia measurement.

20. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member