1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is going on with all the cursing?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by DaDakota, Jul 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No the word appears in posts that you are responding to. They are in the exact same post. You can have searches display as threads or display as posts.

Try it and see. I think there are 11 pages or so worth of posts in which the word D&^% is quoted in a post you are directly responding to.

I agree that it does not equate to typing it yourself, but if posters propagate it, they are somewhat guilty.

You initiated the "what's up with all the cursing" today, yet you have let it slide in dozens of posts that you directly responded to. What is the difference between today and those days?

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand Dada, what's wrong with **** - your kids don't see a curse work. I think I agree with you that when people type in curse words meant to circumvent the system - yeah, that should be reported and such.

But **** is the same thing as on TV when they BEEP out curse words. Do your kids get exposed to that?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Maybe I just noticed it getting worse lately, thread titles with it implied, people being unbelievably rude and cursing at each other, I guess I just got tired of seeing it, and my kids just started getting into the Rockets and this board, so it has become much more relevant to me and I am asking for a ruling.

Lou, my kids do not watch anything that would get bleeped out.....at least not yet.

DD

4. Fatty FatBastard

Who gives a ****. We need less children on here anyway. Parents can always block the site.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't really see the difference. How old are your kids DD? Have your kids never heard cuss words before? Have they never seen it in a movie or heard it from you? I don't think reading cuss words is really a problem. However there are plenty of Garm thread topics I could see not being appropriate for a chile, but I don't really think cussing is a big deal.

6. Miguel09

Miguel09 Member

I dont see whats more grown up then Cussing. Its part of being a grown up if u dont want ur kids to hear cursing u probably should not have them reading a Forum full of Adults.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

9. Landlord Landry

netnanny. ha-ha

my 6 year old could get around that with a proxy. hope your kids don't read this!

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do they even understand what the asterisks mean then? It seems pretty mild to me, but then again, i don't have kids and i am pretty relaxed about that stuff.

Seems to me that the name calling and vitrol from some posters would be worse for kids then the asterisks...just IMO. But I can respect the fact that you want to protect your kids.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Do you curse around them? Would you let them read a letter that has cursing in it?

My 6 year old is too busy playing sports, my 10 year old is starting to get into the Rockets and reading the forums etc....

Honestly, if Clutch doesn't care, then fine by me........I just think it is not necessary and indicative of much lesser forums.

And Lou, tons of posters are getting around the asterisks by mispelling the words.....or implying them...or putting spaces there....

DD

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think at age 10, cussing really should not be a problem. My parents would cuss a lot, I watched a lot of R rated movies at that age. I started reading here around that age although I did not sign up till later. I am and rarely cuss (usually only when I am playing COD4) :D)

13. Landlord Landry

I was being fecitious to emphasize sarcasm.

I'm not going to question your parenting, but this forum is not intended for a ten year old, nor should it be changed to suit YOUR ten year old. Probably why the mods have implented an minimum age requirement. (13? 15?)

besides, a few asterisks here and there are nothing compared to some of the images/ video clips I've seen around here.

14. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I've had the personal hell of working through day camps...unless your children are saints protected in a plastic bubble, I think they'd most likely have already seen and probably said worse then the censored cursing on this forum.

that said, if you're looking to get rid of GARM trolls and this is an indirect way to get em, then hey, I like that.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah the cussing is ****ing ridiculous these days. You guys need to grow the **** up and quit all this bull****. Why isn't Clutch doing anything? Every time I see asterisks on my monitor, my IQ points go straight to ****balls.

Seriez ass-**** dawg.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Solution: Add clutchfans to the Net Nanny filter
    and give your wife the only parental control in the household. :D

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Actually, the mods do a fairly good job of getting rid of links and questionable pics/vids etc.

And there are tons of young kids posting already on here alread.

Can't you tell?

DD

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

"Clutchfan's use all 5 letters of class, not just the last 3."

That is the corniest thing I have ever read.

Stop whining.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Sorry Moes, I think it hurts the board overall and seems childish.

At the end of the day, if Clutch doesn't mind...no biggie, but I have noticed it getting a lot worse lately.....

DD

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Have people assigning vulgar meanings to your moniker. :rolleyes:

I do sympathize with DD even though I can get a little heated in D&D. I do try and keep it on this side of "dick." What I don't like is the automatic asterisks for non-related words. Like "Bu****e," meaning an apparatchik whose fealty belongs to Bush, Sort of like we're all "Clutchites."