1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is American culture?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Apps, Jul 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So all the Hispanic baseball players speak Spanish?

That's quite the assumption.

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

ignorance - at the heart of american culture.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Could speak Spanish... And still be american. That's Amuricuh too

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Violence and Peace
    Gluttony and Starvation
    Strength and Weakness

American Culture is contradiction and hypocraZy.

Rocket River

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

2013 Diversity Report.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, there's people and more people. What do they know?

Go to work in some high rise and vacation down at the Gulf of Mexico.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's why I said "AND", not OR. You catch on pretty quick! GOOD. :p

9. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I think films like "The Wolf of Wall Street" and "Pain & Gain" sum this country up perfectly.

10. Bob Barker 007

And why would these be negative? Mexico is Catholic; Saudi Arabia is a nation of Muslims. Would you say "Negative: Catholicism or Negative: Islamic?" Huge corporations and brands are the result of capitalism. Are you opposed to capitalism?

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You are wrong breh. Britain makes the best chicken tikka masala.

12. Apps

Apps Member

Actually, I think many people would consider the Saudi brand of Islam to be a huge negative, just as there are people who believe that the ultra-conservative strains of Christianity that can be found here in America are negative as well. Obviously I'm not equating the two countries, I'm just pointing out that people do point out zealotry as a negative aspect in many nations' cultures worldwide.

13. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

What some people consider a positive others consider a negative. Some believe being conservative is a good thing, others think being progressive is a good thing.

On top of that to much of any good trait is a bad trait. Confidence is good, but to much confidence turns into arrigance (a negative trait). Being relaxed is good, being to relax turns into being lazy. etc etc.

To answer your question:
    1: Yes for me being deeply religious is a negative trait for a culture/country. especially if that religion cause them to have laws about same sex marriage/ euthanasia/ abrotion etc (which i find idiotic) based on that religion. For me being conservative religious is a very bad trait for a country, and it is one of the main reasons I would never want to live in the USA. So Yes the religion in SA is a negative trait for me. the Chatholic culture in south america (and Mexico) can indeed also be a negative trait for me. I understand others do not agree with me.

2: I am indeed opposed to the excesses of capitalism. And big corporations are one of them. I understand that capitalism has brought my country the wealth I enjoy. But I do not believe free market and capitalism are perfect. Money is becoming to important. I believe the capitalism is going to far and huge coorporations get away with terrible things, just because they have a lot of money.

14. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

My foreign wife says American culture is:

Football
    Basketball
    Party
    Eating frozen food
    Non green
    Impulsive
    Sociable
    Respect others privacy

Why do you ask OP?

15. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Americas too big to give a culture.. I.E. the culture in Texas is completely different than the culture in Michigan..

Obviously there are similarities, but i'd argue those similarities are shared with almost all first world country citizens.

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I agree with this. the same goes for China or any big country.

I always find it funny that when people talk about the netherlands there is a huge difference between people from the north and people from the south, but when we talk about China, or India ar Brazil all the people are the same.:grin:

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

This. Too many different intra-cultures too find any unanimous commonality. The size, climate differences, state differences and "melting pot" is really what makes the USA unique and impossible to compare to other countries.

I can think of a couple sub-cultures in the USA that are pretty unique worldwide:

Hip-hop culture, which originated here and is pretty unique worldwide.

There is the suburban-PTA-McMansion-SUV-Soccer-Mom culture.

There is the Nascar culture.

There is the techy/geeky/Internet culture that produces your Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc..

None of these have a whole lot in common.