1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What in the world is Daryl Morey doing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KillaBlackMamba, Feb 20, 2008.

1. drich

drich Member

man everyone argues with the GATER :rolleyes:

2. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

I can't put it any better other then to say........

I wish I could trade this thread :confused: :rolleyes:

3. yobod

yobod Member

Then what exactly were you trying to do by starting this thread? The team is on a 9-game winning streak, we have possibly the best chemistry in the West now (outside of the Jazz maybe), we've got our rotation finally set, and every player that is playing is contributing. Tell me again WHY exactly we NEED to make a move? If we can get a Mike Miller-type for expirings and maybe Head, I'm all for it....but outside of that, I think we stand pat, and see how we hold up against all the other panic moves that teams have made. You weren't trying to stir up anything? Garbage.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, all the GMs in the NBA NEVER CONSIDER WHO THE COACH IS AND WHAT SYSTEM THEY ARE DRAFTING FOR????

Come on now. Any GM who is worth anything is going to consider the makeup of his coach and the coach's system. Van Gundy had plenty of input, just like Adelman has plenty of input. But the ultimate responsibility for the drafted player..............and the hiring of the coach, mind you..........falls on the GM's shoulders. They get credit for hiring a good coach and making the proper draft choices. And they get the blame for the bad draft choices and the bad coaches they hire. It is the GM's responsibility to make the talent and the coach fit together to produce championships.

It would be pretty stupid for a GM to have a coach in place that wants to play a certain way and then draft players that don't fit into that scheme, wouldn't it???

5. poprocks

poprocks Member

With Morey, hopefully we NEVER see another Bryce Drew of Turcan type pick.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

By that standard, you have to say that Morey has done a very good job in each of the last 2 drafts. Battier is the ultimate JVG player, so that was a pretty good get for a mid-lottery pick. When you get 35+ mpg of solid play over 82 games from your draft-day acquisition, that's pretty good (can any other lottery team that year have said that?). And each of the picks this summer is getting rotation minutes as well under new coach Adelman.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

FWIW regarding morey and brooks when I was able to talk to Morey last summer in Vegas I brought up the pick of brooks and how I really liked him seeing play a lot when he was at Oregon (the ducks play my bruins twice a year and each time I would stress over how we'd guard brooks) and Morey said that they really liked him and last year even before the draft they contacted all the Pac-10 coaches and asked which opposing players that they fear the most when it comes to containing them and Brooks was consistently the top player or near the top player on each of the Pac-10 coaches list. Safe to say that Morey and his staff of scouts have had eye their collective eyes on Brooks and Landry for that matter for a decent amount of time.

I am sure Adeleman was on board with the pick since he saw a lot of Aaron play in oregon where his family is. Just as the same as Adeleman would be all for getting (if possible) Kevin Love since his son used to play with Kevin at Lake Oswego. (side note if somehow the rockets got love I would do backflips) He has seen Kevin play and knows he is a really talented kid. He had seen Aaron play and knew the guy had skills

8. Lumix

Lumix Member

Well said. Very rational.

9. rocketsmetalspd

Spurs are out of the Artest race. The Spurs have acquire Kurk Thomas from Seattle.

10. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Because if Brooks totally sucked everyone would be bashing Morey cuz he is the GM and made the pick.

Same reason we dont give Morey credit for coaching the team even though Adelman is winning with the help of players Morey brought in (Landry, Scola).

11. CM713

CM713 Member

12. Panda

Panda Member

A coach can refuse to play rookies he don't like, that's one of the reasons GMs need to consider preferences of their coaches.

13. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

14. krockets

krockets Member

Are you a spy from the other teams' management? I know I know, you are writing this to put pressures on Morey to accept a dumb offer, right? :D :D

15. krockets

krockets Member

Are you a spy from the other teams' management? I know I know, you are writing this to put pressures on Morey to accept a dumb offer, right?

16. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

If we're trying to acquire Bobby Jackson what does that say about Aaron Brooks?

17. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

Yes KillaBlackMamba, lets blame the GM for not trading for an all star. Now that you mention CD, I loved it when he did that trade at deadline for that All Star named Jake Tsakilidis!

18. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Brand Barry! I hope Morey can bring him here.

19. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Don't worry, DM is working on a trade to send Yao and TMAC to Miami for expiring contracts. Now you are satisfied so could you please do us a favor to go watch the Heat?

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

His name is Brent Barry and he was just traded to Seattle.