1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What in the hell was Facebook thinking when they approved this study?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jul 2, 2014.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That's not true at all. Facebook isn't as "cool" as it used to be, but is still the standard for a social network. EVERYBODY has one, including younger people, they just use it along with other stuff like Instagram. Snapchat is just an app so that's not really comparable.

I still wonder why Twitter is around. Other than being a news outlet, I've never met anyone in my life that uses it as a social network

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Every modern technology has been replaced by something better over time. Something better, faster, cooler and more exclusive. If you believe that FB will last forever, that is basically due to lack of insight into the course of modern technology. People believing in Facebook forever suffer from cognitive bias especially recency bias in understanding that just because it is the strongest social network now doesn't mean it will always be. Facebook won't be gone in 5 years in practicality, but the numbers of Western users will keep dwindling lower and lower. Sort of like Myspace. Yes, it still exists but no one uses it anymore. There are huge issues of privacy that are driving people other than teens off this site in droves. Over 30% of my professional contacts have shut down their FB in the past 3 years and about 25% of my friends have done the same as well for this very reason. The only reason I keep up with FB is follow news site feeds and updates from my favorite bands.

As a tool for keeping in touch with friends there are much better apps out there for doing this like Twitter, Tumblr, Whatsapp, Insta, and SnapChat.

#22 Mr. Brightside, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't know anyone that dropped FB recently, you're pretty biased, Brightside. Your trend chart and personal contacts are not what FB aims at.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's just cutting edge like me. We don't do Pandora we do Hypem.

We don't do pitchfork, we do stereogum. ;)

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The central question here is ... who was part of this study and were they negatively influenced by the posts on their timeline?

6. supdudes

supdudes Member

Pepsi or Coke, Facebook or ____.

It's all the same in the end.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Poor KingCheetah. His interesting thread got derailed.

Back on topic: Am I reading the last bolded comment in your OP: Did FB change "Like"s and responses, or did they change ads presented to users?

1 person likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

#28 KingCheetah, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

He's just trying to hide behind his weird obsession about his niece.

1 person likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

EPIC says Facebook 'messed with people's minds,' seeks FTC sanctions

Facebook "purposefully messed with people's minds" in a "secretive and non-consensual" study on nearly 700,000 users whose emotions were intentionally manipulated when the company altered their news feeds for research purposes, a digital privacy rights group charges in a complaint filed with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center filed the complaint Thursday, asking the FTC to impose sanctions on Facebook. The study violated terms of a 20-year consent decree that requires the social-networking company must protect its users' privacy, EPIC said. EPIC also wants Facebook to be forced to disclose the algorithms it uses to determine what appears in users' news feeds.

full article

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

He suddenly got a little bit of weed, now he thinks he's the big man on campus.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Myspace was really a late blooming version of Angelfire or Geocities and an early version of Youtube. That dreadful GUI ensured no site standardization, which actually repelled the middle-class adults and affluent young adults Facebook managed to initially target. They were also controlled by a massive old-media conglomerate which ensured less autonomy and even less innovation as it was an ancillary unprofitable asset.

13. heypartner

Watch this

Your song seems to be skipping. You probably need a new needle for your head.

Suddenly? :confused:

A little? :confused:

Oh, I get it. That's a joke about Colorado legalizing pot last year.

Very Bright of you. Such a wit.

#33 heypartner, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe I lived in SF for too long, but the big data craze is all about sifting for these kinds of behavior after the fact. While the approach might not be as academic and calculating, companies like Google and Amazon have several different ways to test UI behavior and response to market.

I'd say that the study's conclusion rather than the study itself being taken is what damns Facebook since before they could operate these maneuvers under the veil of plausible deniability as well as "optimizing a genuine user experience". The question of "what other studies were performed" becomes a matter of curiosity than outrage over personal privacy and consent, which has already been diluted and given away by using these kind of services.

All things considered, wouldn't the customer impact of this be like tobacco companies changing the composition of their cigarettes and doing some A-B testing?

15. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Just lately?

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its not so much that Facebook is getting dropped. Its more so that everybody is expanding use of social media into different mediums with their own niches.

The only difference is now you lose singular image sharing to Instagram, short status updates to Twitter, content sharing to Tumblr/Pinterest. Facebook is still used to organize, keep up with old friends / current friends, and some people still just use Facebook on top of what Twitter/Instagram/Tumblr can already provide you the medium to do.

Facebook will not die unless there is a mass migration. Google+ tried to be hip and cool and spur the mass migration to their social network and they failed horribly. Unless Facebook implodes from within, it won't die.

Source: I am 19 and have friends.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Facebook owns Instagram.

BTW.

18. heypartner

I didn't want to say that, myself.

You snide little b*stard. Just piling on Mr. Brightside.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Not true. Everyone still uses Facebook. Instagram and Twitter were just added on. A lot of people use apps that post the same things to all three networks at the same time.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Everyone I know uses twitter haha. Like maybe 90% of people I know.