1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What in McHale's resume made him the strongest candidate to coach Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pacmania, Jan 5, 2012.

1. pacmania

pacmania Member

"McHale went 35-55 as a head coach for the Timberwolves during his tenure.

McHale has never been an assistant coach and doesn’t have much experience, however the Rockets feel they got the strongest candidate available."

Going by his resume' as a coach , he is the strongest candidate for tanking?

2. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Why is every one on this mans junk... get off him!

3. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

He doesn't mind having his assistants picked out for him.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Probably the cheapest option.

Morey used to work for the Celtics, I think. McHale=ex-Celtic. Two white guys reaching out to each other, who knows?

Brown didn't even interview for the Rox.

5. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

100% accurate. Not to be so harsh, but McHale's a puppet. Obviously, Adelman is anything but, and so here we are.

In the case of the coach, it seems like the franchise was looking out for its own best interest (in this case Finch, apparently) in sake of the team's. And for the life of me, I do not understand why.

6. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I personally wanted Casey, but that's the past.

7. hairyme

hairyme Member

Well, I hear he does a great Bill Walton impression!

8. hairyme

hairyme Member

Eh, if you didn't watch the Clippers' broadcast team tonight, ignore my previous comment...

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

It's not his resume, its his motor mouth that got him a job. I could see him literally talking his way into getting hired. You ask the guy one question, he gives you 7 and a half answers with some sugar coating in between to boot.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

So You guys here think the Rockets would've won more with someone else? That Casey or Frank would've turned this team from a .500 ballclub to a contender?

This team was a .500 team last year with Adelman. They'll be the same this year assuming no major lineup changes. Seems to me like it doesn't really matter who's the coach. You don't got the players, you're not going to win.

11. pacmania

pacmania Member

I disagree . Especially in this era of legalized zone defense (with the exception of the defensive three second prohibition) the defensive schemes as well as offensive schemes are more complicated than in the mandated man to man era where you had to play man to man all the time. With a good coach , the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Of course, there is no question that players must have the requisite skills but a good system would efficiently utilize players in complementary way so that things run smoothly. The Kings under Rick Adelman were very competitive against the lakers. Likewise, the rockets were the only team to take the lakers to seven games and stay competitive with them in our recent second round playoff performance despite playing against multiple seven footers. The key is the cutting and player movement provided multiple options on offense and kept the defense confused because of the unpredictability. Its early in the season but things are looking very disorganized with Mchale.

12. cod

cod Member

Right now it's just Scola in the frontcourt. The Rockets Patterson to fully recover as soon as possible. They need to trade for a starting C or get lucky with a min contract signing and try to get by with a musical chairs rotation there.

13. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

But both of the teams you're citing (Adelman's Kings and even the 2008-09 Rockets) had significant advantages in talent. The Kings had stars across the board (CWebb, Bibby, Peja at his prime), and the Rockets in that series had Yao, Ron Artest, and a feisty Aaron Brooks. I'm not discounting what you say; I do agree that a system that efficiently utilizes its players can become competitive. However, I'm cutting McHale some slack because: 1) I did not expect to contend for a championship this year; 2) there were a variety of factors that make the disorganized ball almost inevitable; and 3) I'm curious to see what McHale can do with reclamation projects in Hill, Thabeet, and even to an extent TWill.

I didn't like the hiring of McHale at all. But now there's nothing that can be done, so why not sit back and just see what happens? We're not contenders this year, and no coach would have made that difference. This isn't the NFL where if you get into the playoffs, anything can happen. For the most part, the NBA is a what you see is what you get league: the good teams that are favored are favored for a reason. If we had kept Adelman, sure it might have made for a difference in the number of wins, but it would not have affected the ultimate outcome of the team: stuck in mediocrity. So why not bring in a coach who is agreeable to the fact that you're grooming a HC for the future, who can serve as a stopgap solution and coach up your potential-laden bigs, and maybe even try to instill a bit more of a hard-nosed, blue-collar attitude?

#13 tierre_brown, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  14. AFS

AFS Member

McHale hasn't had much of an offseason, doesn't have practices, and doesn't have the personnel in the frontcourt to defend three of the best big-man tandems in the NBA, which we've faced in our last three losses. Stop cluttering the GARM.

2 people like this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Mchale was DAZZLED by Morey's Ipad 2.:grin:

1 person likes this.
  16. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Blazers with Drexler and Porter under Adelman was great. The GSW under Adelman sucked. The Kings under Adelman was great. Then the Kings without Webber/Divac became mediocre. Then the Rockets under Adelman with Yao/T-Mac were very good. The Rockets under Adelman without Yao/T-Mac was mediocre. The Wolves under Adelman is 2-4.

So historical evidence suggest you are very, very wrong.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I wasn't in favor of hiring McHale, but just to compare apples to apples, the T-Wolves did worse both before and after his coaching stints.

04-05 - Flip Saunders (25-26); McHale (19-12)
    05-06 - Dwane Casey (33-49)

08-09 - Randy Wittman (4-15); McHale (20-43)
    09-10 - Kurt Rambis (15-67)

You can't tell at this point, but it's possible McHale was actually a good coach with a ****ty roster to work with. We all know Adelman's a great coach, but do you think he's going to post a record with Minny similar to the ones he posted with the Rockets, Kings, and Blazers?

18. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

His ability to tank.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Why pay a coach big bucks if your going to secretly tank?

Cheap.

Easy scape-goat.

Willing to secretly tank.

Willing to play the players you ask him to play.

Willing to take assistant coaches you want him to take.

20. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

I usually agree with you, but you clearly haven't watched the Wolves play. They are (and will be) a very good team. What you cite as "historical evidence" is just simply skimming over the details, the essence of what good coaching is. Portland was a good team that Adelman made great. The Kings were a good team that Adelman made great. The GSW were terrible and they sucked with Adelman. The Rockets with Adelman were very good, and after having 0 stars they were still better than mediocre without having a competent center. If you've seen the Wolves play this year and last year, the difference is astonishing. Instead of looking at their record (2-4) how about taking into account their point difference, SoS and the actual play of the team?

Adelman is a great coach because his players perform to their best, he is not rigid and is a quite likeable guy generally. He gets no respect because he got robbed from his ring against the Lakers.

Btw, he is still the winningest Rockets coach, the Winningest Sacto coach and the second winningest Blazers coach. He has a better playoff and regular season record than Jerry Sloan who is a surefire HOF coach, and his plays team beautiful team basketball.

Historical evidence says that he is extremely good at developing young point guards. Oh and he kept Sacto maybe the best team in a conference where the opponents played stars better than Webber. (Kobe, Shaq, Garnett, Duncan)

Historical evidence says that he maximizes or close to maximizes what he has. Show me five better coaches in the last 20 years. The goodness meter shouldn't be rings. That's something completely out of control.

2 people like this.