1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Im having a hard time understanding.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dreamshake, Nov 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Ok so I have been the advocate to get Steve off the bench, and Im not agreeing that Luther Head is playing above what Steve could give this team. Luther had ONE bucket coming into todays game.

But can someone explain to me why Scola is about as bad as it gets on the Defensive and offensive side yet can work out his kinks in major minutes in games, but Steve has to do it in practice when our PGs are looking terrible like they did tonight?

Scola has been just terrible out there. Now Im all for getting Scola the experience, and giving him his shot at it. By why is it different for Steve. He could get some of Heads minutes, some of James, and definately alot of Alstons minutes.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

The simple answer(s):

Scola is in shape and plays very hard.

Scola is our only PF that isn''t fresh out of college and/or undersized.

3. BlackSombrero

BlackSombrero Member

Adelman claimed that Francis was outplayed by the other guards during the preseason/pratice and came into camp out of shape. Scola delivered some solid and productive minutes in preseason and regular season games.

It's only four games into the season so therefore I believe Francis will get his chance soon enough.

4. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Main difference is Scola is 2nd string while Steve is 4th string at the moment. Who do you want besides Scola? Landry?

5. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

You want Novak to suit up? Who else other than Hayes is there?

lol

6. choujie

choujie Member

I think the main reason is we have a lot guards who can contribute, but not nearly enought big men. Deke showed he is a liability on both ends of the floor this year at least for now, and he's not getting younger any time soon.

7. Dreamshake

Has Rafer been so unstoppable as to not give up some minutes to let Steve work it out like Scola? Maybe Head has been so outstanding??

Like I said, I want to see Scola get his shot. But you can't give one guy the Benefit and not the other proven player none. Its not like the PG play tonight was worth a lick. Between the two of them...1 assist, too many turnovers, and letting Terry eat us alive on D.

8. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

You are stating your opinion yet you don't know all of the facts. I doubt very seriously that if Steve was tearing it up in practice that RA wouldn't play him. Stevie "FrenchFries" needs to get his butt in shape and practice hard and earn his way into the rotation.

9. RedRaiderRocket

I think its time for me to create a thread of play Aaron Brooks thread, with all the attention Steve is getting.

10. Dreamshake

So then the Scola who looks absolutely lost in all facets of the game on the floor out there is "tearing it up" in practice???

11. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Different positions and different needs

12. mag

mag Contributing Member

Scola has not been playing that bad. He has not been great but he has been contributing while he is learning how to play in the NBA.

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Scola is our best option compared to Chuck Hayes. Francis is not (arguable).

That's why.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What I don't understand is why we didn't play VSpan.

15. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

I agree.

16. Dreamshake

Remind me of Rafers lifetime stats, and his stats so far this year? Seems eerily familiar. Now how was rafer tonight? Did we again lose to an elite team? Are we using the same 5. Does this team look like last years team. All Tmac and Yao, other team sagging to them. If you can't see the potential problem in doing the same things as last year then I can't help you man. We just lost to the Mavs minus 4 rotation players. The PG play was terrible, and the D was nonexistant. I guess just having Scola, Bonzi, and James isn't quite enough...not for now atleast.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They looked worse than last year's team, which had VSpan.

Last year's team blew out the Mavs in their first game (and the only game with Yao), this year's team lost.

Clearly, VSpan is the differece.

18. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The PG's combined for one assist, but they had zero turn overs. Steve is hardly a defensive stopper, and Terry was on fire and would have scored on anyone short of an all NBA first team defensive player.

As far as PG production, the main difference tonight was Mike James came back down to earth on his shooting. Previously he was 50% from 3 for the season, tonight he was 0-5 and 4-13 over all. Likewise Rafer only had one assist which is far below his average. Rafer is the forum favorite scape goat, but we were up 1 point when Rafer was taken out in the 3rd for Mike James, and down 9 by the time he came back with 2:55 left in the 4th, which happened to be the final margin.

I'm sure that Steve will get some minutes eventually when Rick feels he is ready. My guess is that Rick wants to establish some consistency and let his team learn the offense which clearly they have not done yet before he makes major line up changes. As for Scola he is 2nd on the depth chart at power forward, where Steve is 4th behind Rafer, James and Head. It's not like Scola is playing instead of Francis. At any rate even if EVERYONE here agreed with you, it isn't like we have any effect on who the Rockets will actually play.

19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I can't wait to see which foreign player we gloat about next summer when we "steal" him from some team in exchange for dumping this year's foreign bust.

Oh, by the way, here's a steaming plate of Jackie Butler's salary.

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken. Either that or you are drastically overreacting.