1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Im still worried about the Rox improvments so far this offseason. And I do know that the Rox window is narrowing every year that McGrady gets older.

But what if Scola seriously struggles this year. Most of the Euro players have a lengthy adjustment period. Lets say he fits in that 8-10 ppg and 4-5 rebs a game. Can he defend the Western Conf tree's that are the power fowards? Can the Rox really expect to go further this year if Scola puts up Swift numbers?

I still think the Rox need some serious front court help. Sorry Deke, Scoua, and Hayes just aint enough.

So if Scoula struggles are the Rox in any better a situation then last year, or 3 years ago?

#1 Dreamshake, Jul 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  2. tomato

tomato Member

I think with the acquisitions made in the off-months, we're already a better team. I'm including Adelman in those acquisitions.

If Scola struggles, perhaps we won't be more than a second round team, but at the very least we are better set-up to deal with potential failure.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think the entire team has improved enough to get to at least the 2nd round. I think Scola will be good enough, but, if necessary, they can trade rafer+stuff for a decent PF.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Let's trade Alston, Sura, Head and a first-round pick for Camby.

Denver would save almost $ 20 M and get a first-round pick, I don't think it's out of the question that they'd do it.

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

that's why there is a reg. season. i think adelman will expect scola to struggle for the first few months before the all-star break. but unlike JVG, adelman will keep playing him 25-28 mins so he can get used to it.

again, we just care how we are entering the playoffs.

this team is all about the playoffs. the reg. season is just for fun :D

6. vincentt

vincentt Member

i think the rockets still have a few tricks up their sleeve

7. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

if we get camby, just hand us the trophy. denver wouldn't trade him to houston man.

8. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Not sure if you know but we also got some people named Bonzi Wells, Mike James, Jackie Butler, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, and Rick Adelman with the Rockets this season, so what if you knew about that and this post didn't happen?

9. tomato

tomato Member

A Bonzi update, as long as you trust Bill Worrell (from a radio interview with Calvin): Bonzi is looking a lot better than last year, Bill was raving about how improved he is

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

PJ Brown for the LLE would be nice...

DD

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's good to hear. A few weeks ago Morey said in a video clip that Bonzi was motivated to play but wasn't physically ready.

12. howe070523

howe070523 Member

Agreed.

13. aznboi

aznboi Contributing Member

This doesn't answer the question but I think Aaron Brooks is gonna do some Cassell stuff for us in the playoffs this year.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What if Scola struggles?! I am assuming he will struggle. I am pretty sure Morey has some plans to bring in a veteran PF though. I don't think this offseason is over yet for the Rockets.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i completely forgot about calvin on the radio. is it a daily show or a weekly one?

as for worrell, i love him, but he's a complete homer. i'm gonna have to see bonzi for myself.

16. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

how bad can scolas be? worse than jHo??

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

The goal for Adelman this regular season should be to get everyone to play together by the time playoffs roll around. It's a given that the Rockets will make it. So as long as Scola, Brooks, and any other potential pickup reach their peak around April, we'd be in great shape.

18. RedRaiderRocket

Dreamshake you and I are on equal views here with the Rockets offseason. I am not saying the Rockets made the wrong moves, trading a guy that didn't want to be here and a 2nd rounder for potentially the best European player and 2 time Spanish League MVP as well as Jackie Butler it was a no brainer. The Rockets are putting a lot of pressure on probably a rookie starting PF. But these are just some of the risks teams have to make in order to put themselves in contender level. They won 50+ games with an undrafted, developmental leaguer in Chuck Hayes, not any knock on Chucky he is my 2nd favorite Rocket behind Shane Battier. I am still not 100% certain the coaching change, was the best move the Rockets could make, but JVG had his time, and couldn't deliever in time, though its almost certain the Rockets will be much more enjoyable to watch, JVG's system did work as boring as it was. Mike James is probably coming off his worst season as an NBA player, and though many people disliked Juwan Howard, he was a HUGE impact on the Rockets staying alive when Yao Ming went down. Probably the greatest offseason move/signing that has happened so far is a motivated Bonzi Wells coming back to help this team, I think he has a lot to play for, not just for them but mostly for himself. Oh well it should be interesting to see how it all plays out, hopefully it all works out for the best, but I still have my concerns that this board is drastically overstating how successful the improvements to this team really are, but I hope to be eating crow when it all is said and done. And like Scola said, For those who don't know him, well get to know him soon.

19. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

There's no way Scola struggles all year long.
    I think after the all star break we'll all notice major improvements and he'll be ready come playoffs time. That's all that really matters.
    The guy went in Europe at a very early age and it didn't take him long to make a name for himself, so I'm pretty certain he will adapt quickly.

20. Panda

Panda Member

Don't worry, be happy, we'd still have Chuck(sign him!) to man the pf spot, and Scola is better than Chuck. He is the pf on a team that won a world championship medal.