1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if.......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sjackson0, Feb 14, 2006.

1. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

I know there are many trade threads floating around, but I felt like I should add a lil something here. Hypothetically of course.

But what if the Rockets could snag Darko, Carlos Delfino and/or Alex Acker/2nd round pick from Detroit for Stromile and DA? I mean....the contracts add up. I know that Detroit is trying to get something really decent for Darko seeing he WAS the 2nd pick two years ago. I heard they are at least hoping for a high first round pick and added player(s). Some teams might bite of that. I know that Detroit doesn't need any extra money on their cap because they have to throw money at Ben Wallace next year.....but that 5 million would be on their books anyway...whether it be Darko's or Stromile contract. With Stromile...they would still have the high "Potential" factor.

I still like Stromile and really not trying to off load him. I think with time...he could be really productive......but on the other hand... If Hubbie freakn Brown couldn't get it out of him........do ya'll think Jeff can? Maybe. But if they do try to move him, I really hope they get someone that can help us.

I just thought it was an interesting scenario.

2. sjackson0

I'm sorry.......i could have wrote this in the "Anderson Trade Idea" thread

Sorry guys

3. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

its ok buddy, i wont flame you like the others will.....

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

....monkeys flew out of my ass.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Considering we have the Moochie/Lampe Trade Exception, we can help Detroit's cap situation if we wanted Darko; but what value would our draft picks be?

And how good will Darko be? Would Van Gundy tolerate him? Could you move him along for another player?

At least this trade scenario is in the "realm of possibility," i.e., not a KG-for-Dampier swap-type idea.

6. sjackson0

HELL..others can try, but this dog bites back. I'm no newbie... I just wasn't careful. That's my fault.

7. sjackson0

I've seen Darko play overseas and he was a beast. I truly believe with adequate playing time....he will get MUCH MUCH better. Detroit is just not the place for raising players......but Houston can be sort of
    If he hustles and tries to rebound...Jeff will tolerate him. If he's progresses....we may never want to move him.

I might make that trade if I was CD....but I'm not and realize this daily. lol

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Why does everyone want Darko all of a sudden?

Didn't we just get an under-achieving Euro-big man? Why do we need another?

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

What are you talking about, there is no such thing??!!??!! :cool:

10. sjackson0

Well.....just want something decent in return for Swift IF they decide to trade him. In all fairness....Darko is an under-achiever, but it's not all his fault. he hasn't had the time to shine. Hell.....he hasn't had the time to fail for that matter. I believe that if he had playing time, he could be a steal.

Who knows....

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Darko could possibly pan out in the future - who knows? He hasn't ever been given a real shot and he won't with that frontline in Detroit. I wouldn't waste my time with him though because we don't need another finesse guy next to Yao.

It will be an absolute crime if we waste Yao's prime years playing him next to flower forwards like Howard and Swift. We need to find him his Otis Thorpe.

Would anyone deal for Cato and bank on him duplicating his '03 season with us? Or what about Carlos Boozer who's contract is absolutely obscene?

12. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

So it would be like a swap of #2 picks.. remember Stro was a #2 pick in his draft after KMart.

I can see why Detroit would want Stro because he would be a good fit running and jumping with the rest of that big front line. I worry we are not getting the most out of Stro via production or trade value. Its only been half a season and I think Stro is starting to earn more playing time and hopefully soon will outplay Howard for the starting spot.

Have you noticed Stro's new found aggression? how he has been attacking the basket? ummm.. I know he still cant rebound worth a damn but he sure does jump high. =)

I think Stro deserves till the end of the season before people write him off and I would move JHoward and his big contract before I get rid of Stro who can still turn out to be a big asset.

J

13. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Cato / Boozer are pretty interesting trade idea's that no one has really brought up yet.

Cato was our perfect PF in terms of rebounding and defense. Mix him with Stro or Howard (not both) and thats a solid rotation. Twin Towers again with no one scoring inside the paint.

I remember the Yao / Cato combo as pretty potent.

J

14. thacabbage

The Yao/Cato combo resulted in NOTHING for the opponent inside the paint that year. The problem is that he can't play starter's minutes because he would foul out and his offense is beyond atrocious. If we had a good scoring shooting guard, we could make up for it, but with this current cast, they wouldn't break 80.

Boozer on the other hand, is competent offensively and a workhorse on the boards. He was going off last year before he went down with injury and we haven't heard from him since. They're practically trying to give him away from what I've read.

15. sjackson0

Eventhough Cato is in the last year of Caroll Dawson's x-mas present.......he still scares me. Boggie Man scares me. Carlo Boozer's contract scares the hell out of me.

16. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I don't think Detroit is going to want Stro. A package of Deke and Anderson would be better since it gives them some depth for a championship run. I'd go for that (and maybe even toss in a lottery protected 1st or possibly Luther). With his size and length, the least Darko can be is a decent backup C like Diop.

And he could very well develop into a perimeter shooting PF that would fit perfectly next to Yao.

17. thacabbage

I never even considered Mutombo's value, but now that you mention it, he could be very valuable to a contender for 10 lock down minutes a night in the playoffs. Sh*t, if they're talking about trading Darko for Cato and then letting him walk, there's no reason they wouldn't jump all over Anderson and Mutombo.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I've been saying for weeks that Motumbo has value for a contender who is going for it all this year or next. Unfortunately not us. So let's move him to a contender.and get something.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The only contender I could see him fitting in well on would be the Pistons. He could really help the Wallace's do a great job of shutting down Shaq in the playoffs.........again.

20. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

there's no way you saw darko play overseas. first of all, he played for hemofarm, which while he was playing was a totally ass-backwards team. second, he sucked in europe too. he wasn't even the leading scorer on his team. my entire family lives over htere and one of my friends over there played in the same league as he did. everyone there was absolutely stunned that he was so hyped up over here.

darko sucking is not a new thing. maybe one day he will be decent, but right now there's no way in hell i want him on my team. we already have one maciej lampe.