1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if the Maloof Family had kept the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TBar, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I didn't like the young Patterson! He was not natural, in as much as he tried to look like he was superior and was looking down his nose at you in distain. He never made me feel like he was a confident professional, but an attorney condisending to work for the Rox! I was glad when they moved him !

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

3. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Yup...I was in the Bay Area at the time and every little kid was pretending to be Sleepy Floyd (including me). It was a great moment for Golden State but incredibly, that was the only game they won in the entire series! Warriors basketball for you.

This is a great thread. I'm sure many people, like me, didn't know about the Maloofs owning this team. Nice history lesson :)

4. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

I don't think it would have made a big difference if the Maloof still owning the teams. Les had shown us that he want to win a championship every year. As I remember either Rudy or Carroll was saying that Les would never refuse to sign a player if he think it could help us winning a championship. We surely know he is still paying for a some of the contracts that Rudy and Carroll gave out that didn't turn out too good. He is willing to take chances and overall I think Les is a good owner for the Rockets.

5. edc

edc Contributing Member

Not kismet. David Barron was quoting from the interview with the Maloofs on HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel." I never realized just how much those guys are playas. They make Hef look like an amateur ;)

One of the Rockets stories they tell was about the '80 finals run, and how a (new) security guard refused to let the Maloofs into the Locker Room, thinking they were just some punk 20-odd year olds!

On the basketball side, it is interesting. They (like Les) tend to let their basketball people handle the on-court stuff. Mr. Alexander could take a lesson from those two in terms of customer service.

6. feishen

feishen Member

Well, good owners aside, they dumped Rox 20 years ago. Plus, they dont do much regarding basketball operation. They just spend money and the rest of business is taken care of by their managers.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Pattersons were great -- senior got and kept the Rox in town, junior put the pieces together for Back-to-Back.

Don't revisionist this history. Be grateful for both. I am.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

Floyd was a nice little player. In fact, in the 80s, the Rockets were fond of stealing some Warrior greats.

Floyd
    World B. Free
    Purvis Short
    Larry Smith

I think Floyd's problem was he happened to play with Hakeem before Hakeem became more of a team player. If I recall, I dont think Floyd and Hakeem saw eye to eye. I could be wrong on this though.

9. SLA

SLA Member

Isn't Sleep Floyd a coach in California now? I've seen him a couple of times.

Hmm...how old are you people?